"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-13-2014, 11:03 AM   #3321
Executive Chef

I decided to revisit the Prey series by John Sandford and ordered the last 3 books in the series that are available in paperback from Amazon. I started reading them a long time ago, then stopped for some unknown reason, probably because my local bookstore quit carrying them. Now I need to find a synopsis of each book in the series to ascertain where I left off.

I would also like to start reading the reintroduced Blaine McCracken series by Jon Land. So many books, so little time.

Old 04-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #3322
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I'm reading the Jonathon's Bass Cut to the Bone: A Body Farm Novel

"Jefferson Bassís Cut to the Bone, the long-awaited prequel to his New York Times bestselling mystery series, turns the clock back to reveal the Body Farm's creationóand Dr. Bill Brockton's deadly duel with a serial killer."

Anything that has a high body count, a serial killer and insects chomping on corpses is all right in MY book!
Not a great book but it fulfills my needs. (Evil laugh inserted here)

(Only 1.99 on my Kindle)
Do you read Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta novels? I can't remember any titles but I read a few before getting bored.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:11 AM   #3323
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I decided to revisit the Prey series by John Sandford and ordered the last 3 books in the series that are available in paperback from Amazon. I started reading them a long time ago, then stopped for some unknown reason, probably because my local bookstore quit carrying them. Now I need to find a synopsis of each book in the series to ascertain where I left off.

I would also like to start reading the reintroduced Blaine McCracken series by Jon Land. So many books, so little time.
In case you didn't know (of course you did!) Amazon has a synopsis of all his books.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #3324
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Do you read Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta novels? I can't remember any titles but I read a few before getting bored.
I've read most of her books and loved them because they satisfied my "needs"---- mystery, anthropology, forensics, some gore, and an intelligent woman as protagonist!

Her earlier ones were the best and I stopped reading when they got too repetitive.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:46 PM   #3325
Executive Chef

Quote:
I've read most of her books and loved them because they satisfied my "needs"---- mystery, anthropology, forensics, some gore, and an intelligent woman as protagonist!

Her earlier ones were the best and I stopped reading when they got too repetitive.
That's exactly why I liked them and what I meant when I said I got bored with them. I started to spot the villain before the heroine did!
Old 04-14-2014, 11:57 PM   #3326
Executive Chef

Quote:
I'm reading the Jonathon's Bass Cut to the Bone: A Body Farm Novel

"Jefferson Bass’s Cut to the Bone, the long-awaited prequel to his New York Times bestselling mystery series, turns the clock back to reveal the Body Farm's creation—and Dr. Bill Brockton's deadly duel with a serial killer."

Anything that has a high body count, a serial killer and insects chomping on corpses is all right in MY book!
Not a great book but it fulfills my needs. (Evil laugh inserted here)

(Only 1.99 on my Kindle)
i'm a bass reader too, thanks to pf! you say you like the grisly and grotesque? well, cave, and mad cook, (and evrbody, of course) have i ever got a tv series for YOU! it is called 'spiral' (or 'engrenages' in french.) it is a long running french tv series, since 2005. netflix's description calls it a 'gritty crime drama set in the dark underbelly of paris...following police officers and lawyers investigating and prosecuting crimes.' i KNOW, right? i just started viewing this series, and if you don't know french, there are the subtitles to contend with, but man. 'spiral' will keep you awake nights....
Old 04-15-2014, 01:45 AM   #3327
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
....but man. 'spiral' will keep you awake nights....
Which explains why we meet tonight, vit!

I returned my Diane Mott Davidson book...and made the mistake of looking on the "New Books" shelves. Oops. Came home with Joanne Fluke's latest, "Blackberry Pie Murder". Not gonna start it until a get a room or two cleaned, because I get nothing done once I start a book.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:32 AM   #3328
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i'm a bass reader too, thanks to pf! you say you like the grisly and grotesque? well, cave, and mad cook, (and evrbody, of course) have i ever got a tv series for YOU! it is called 'spiral' (or 'engrenages' in french.) it is a long running french tv series, since 2005. netflix's description calls it a 'gritty crime drama set in the dark underbelly of paris...following police officers and lawyers investigating and prosecuting crimes.' i KNOW, right? i just started viewing this series, and if you don't know french, there are the subtitles to contend with, but man. 'spiral' will keep you awake nights....
Subtitles are a plus for me! My Netflix just shows a movie (2007) with the name of Spiral. Is that the same? (I sorta doubt it)

Then I went to my library which has a huge collection of movies and TV programs and most have sub-titles/closed captioning.

Found Spiral there---- but just Season One, with four discs and English subtitles. I've reserved it (there will be a long wait) and am looking forward to watching it and thanks for recommending it.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #3329
Executive Chef

Just finished "Wild"From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail, by Cheryl Strayed. Downloaded from Amazon to the Kindle Ap on my iPhone. Read it while we were away for a few days. Highly recommend. It's about a young woman "finding herself"while hiking the PCT.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:45 PM   #3330
Executive Chef

Quote:
Subtitles are a plus for me! My Netflix just shows a movie (2007) with the name of Spiral. Is that the same? (I sorta doubt it)

Then I went to my library which has a huge collection of movies and TV programs and most have sub-titles/closed captioning.

Found Spiral there---- but just Season One, with four discs and English subtitles. I've reserved it (there will be a long wait) and am looking forward to watching it and thanks for recommending it.
huh, that's a shame, cave. our netflix here offers four seasons of 'spiral' streaming. i wonder if netflix's menu varies from region to region. let me know how you like the show once you get it from the library?