"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-11-2014, 11:56 AM   #3391
Head Chef

I'm going to re-read this non-fiction (but reads like an adventure) book: Ship of Gold by Gary Kinder

"Ship of Gold tells the story of the sinking of the SS Central America, a side-wheel steamer carrying nearly six hundred passengers returning from the California Gold Rush, two hundred miles off the Carolina coast in September 1857. Over four hundred lives and twenty-one tons of California gold were lost. It was the worst peacetime disaster at sea in American history, a tragedy that remained lost in legend for over a century. In the 1980s, a young engineer from Ohio set out to do what no one, not even the United States Navy, had been able to do: establish a working presence on the deep-ocean floor and open it to science, archaeology, history, medicine, and recovery."

Ship of Gold in the Deep Blue Sea: The History and Discovery of the World's Richest Shipwreck: Gary Kinder: 8601400671061: Amazon.com: Books

For people who like to know how 'things work' combined with a good story this is the book.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:48 PM   #3392
Senior Cook

As you can see by my handle I do a LOT of reading and enjoy historical romances. Yes, I'm quite secure in my manliness and old enough to read whatever I please without fear of censure. I'm just beginning Treasures of the North by Tracie Peterson which is a romantic adventure taking place during the Yukon gold rush.

Old 06-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #3393
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiklitmanfan View Post
As you can see by my handle I do a LOT of reading and enjoy historical romances. Yes, I'm quite secure in my manliness and old enough to read whatever I please without fear of censure. I'm just beginning Treasures of the North by Tracie Peterson which is a romantic adventure taking place during the Yukon gold rush.
If you like historical romances you must try Georgette Heyer. Unlike the truly dreadful Barbara Cartland et al, GH 's novels are noted for the quality and accuracy of the historical backgrounds. She also wrote detective stories but these aren't as good (IMO) as the historical ones.

One of my favourites of the Regency romances is "The Grand Sophy", the Sophy of the title being one of GH's most feisty (but lady-like) heroines but I think you might like "An Infamous Army" which, isn't a straight romance as such but is set around the battle of Waterloo and concerns real and imaginary characters of the time.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking GH is another Barbara Cartland. The latter actually stole a number of GH's plots and mangled them thoroughly!

Happy reading!
Old 06-11-2014, 07:32 PM   #3394
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
It lists Philip K Dick as the author.. some hack I believe.

I didn't pay attention to length and didn't realize that was a short story. Feh.

Been spending some time reading Absolute C++ this morning
LOL!!! Very different from the movie.

Now you need to read, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", and get back to me on the movie based on that title.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:22 PM   #3395
Sous Chef

I'm starting the 5th in the Vicki Delany / Constable Mollie Smith series. Among The Departed. An enjoyable cozy mystery series.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 PM   #3396
Master Chef

As a big fan of historical novels, I've found a riveting keeper I'm about to finish, but alas I have to cook and go to the bathroom, seeping is optional. The story of this country's most famous traitor, and the woman who masterminded the whole thing.

The Traitor's Wife..The Traitor's Wife: The Woman Behind Benedict Arnold and the Plan to Betray America by Allison Pataki ‚ÄĒ Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:19 AM   #3397
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
LOL!!! Very different from the movie.

Now you need to read, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", and get back to me on the movie based on that title.
Done did that one.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #3398
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Done did that one.
I'm a PKDickhead...love his stories.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:11 AM   #3399
Head Chef

A Richard S. Wheeler western, 'Seven Miles to Sundown,' gold prospecting set in the deserts of the southwest. Just the thing to counterbalance our rainy, humid Florida weather.

One I plan to read is by Sandra Grimes - 'Circle of Treason,' nonfiction about the outing of our snake-in-the-grass CIA spy Aldrich Ames.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:15 PM   #3400
Master Chef

Just starting P.D. James THE PRIVATE PATIENT.