Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
does he use 'f' word in his books too? Surprised anyone really gives him the time due to his loose use of this word. I just truly dismiss him when he does say the word as I can so relate to the pressure he is under. Will you let me know what you think after you have finished? Thanks

In this particular book he doesn't use the word much at all. The book was a really good insight into his childhood and how he became so sucessful and in some respects it makes you see him in a different light. It also shows you how competative it is in the restaurant world.

Well worth a read.

I'm not sure if it's against the rules or not but I have the pdf version if you want me to email it to you? PM me if you would like that :)

In this particular book he doesn't use the word much at all. The book was a really good insight into his childhood and how he became so sucessful and in some respects it makes you see him in a different light. It also shows you how competative it is in the restaurant world.

Well worth a read.

I'm not sure if it's against the rules or not but I have the pdf version if you want me to email it to you? PM me if you would like that :)

I sure would! See if you can do it? If not, we have to understand. So glad you don't just get upset about Ramsay. I sure can tell he WANTS them to succeed. They will HAVE lot worse when he isn't around, I am sure.

Currently reading Alexander McCall Smith's Morality for Beautiful Girls, a mystery novel set in Botswana. Also slogging through The Golden Compass; it's OK as far as plot, but a bit pedantic and overly referential, if you know what I mean.

Love all of the Alexander McCall Smith novels I've read! I love stuff like that; light but insights to another culture. The last book I finished was titled something like "The Making of ..." (cannot remember the man's name, that tells you how much I liked it, who the heck knows why I finished it!)(oh, I do, ran out of books). Too much "getting old Jewish angst" in it for me. This time around (meaning my trips to the library) I chose only light reading. I mean, sometimes I purposefully try to challenge my little gray cells, but at times I wonder: Is the author trying to communicate (the purpose of writing, I think) or just trying to seem intelligent. In other words, the fewer people who read the book, the better, because the author can claim us readers are way too stupid to appreciate their writing.

You know, I'm always looking for good books to read to my ladies. They are both very intelligent, and for reasons (one is legally blind, her companion is so arthritic she cannot hold a book up for very long. The blind lady always was a reader, the arthritic not so much) cannot read. M (the blind lady) likes to read books that come up in the news, and that her favorite radio personality mentions. She has friends who are authors, and I read anything they write.

But in between I choose books where each chapter can, actually, stand alone. Travel books (both ladies are well traveled), anything by Peter Mayle or Bill Bryson are high on my list. The last thing that was long that I read to them was Galway Bay. But I had to renew it three times, and her care-giver had checked it out before that for two weeks. Finally I gave up and told her, "Do you want me to finish it and tell you how it ends?" Absolutely.

I've read all but one of Cahill's books to her (the guy who writes sociological books about different cultures) and trust me, getting my tongue around Greek and Celtic names just about drove me crazy.

Anyone have suggestions for books for very intelligent ladies, but aren't ridiculously L-O-N-G or obscure? Oh, they both have interests in anything French. I cannot speak it ... Hmmm ... know what? Sometimes I think of something I write and get an idea. Maybe they'd like a Maigret mystery? The thing is there are some I like and some I don't (they're out there with two different translations, one I like, the other not so much.

OK, I've digressed, as is my wont. But if any of you read this and come up with something you can imagine being read aloud, chime in.

oh yeah, and '1-2-3 Magic: Discipline for ages 2-12.'
I can't BELIEVE I'm resorting to reading a book on how to
discipline my rogue 3 year old son. My stepdad always says that
'parenthood is predicated on the parent being smarter than the child.'
I must be pretty stupid then because I am at a loss!

From Time to Time, by Jack Finney. It is the sequel to Time and Again. Time travel novels, not using machines and gadgetry, but based on Einstein's theory that other time periods exist alongside ours and we just have to figure out how to move from one to the other. Even though they are fiction, I learned a lot about 1800s New York City from the first one. The first was written in 1970 and the second in 1995, and I thoroughly enjoy both.

:)Barbara
P.S. The second one gives us a glimpse of 1912's NYC.

Last edited:
I put in a request at the library for Julia Child's book "My life in France" Her book , with her on the cover.

I started Patricia Cornwell's new series. At Risk was okay. It was really light reading. I could almost see it more as a screenplay for a TV movie. It could have easily been put into a show and not lost anything. I was a bit disappointed that she didn't flesh out the characters a bit more or go into more detail on the investigations that took place. She would set up where someone was searching then the next thing you know that person is sharing the conclusions from the investigation. The Front so far is a bit better but it seems like you get dialog without understanding the characters motivation. I don't know what is making these guys tick. That is the joy of books over movies is that deeper understanding of human nature and behavior. I don't know if I would read any others in this series.

From Time to Time, by Jack Finney. It is the sequel to Time and Again.

I had Time and Again in my possession but passed it on without reading it.

I'm listening to Angela's Ashes on audio, while trying to finish Running with Scissors and Rachel's Holiday by Marian Keyes.

My love of mysteries coming to the fore: just finished James Sallis' Salt River, and just started Double Negative by David Carkeet. To my ladies I'm reading A Dog's Life by Peter Mayle. Any Peter Mayle lovers who happen to be dog lovers should read it; it is sort of A Year in Provence told from the dog's point of view. The gals are loving it! Of the books I checked out of the library last week, my favorite was probably The Baker Street Letters by Michael Robertson.

I have a new friend who just discovered how much I love reading ... he's trying to convince me to give Tolstoy another chance, that he wrote short stories that aren't bad. Huh ... aren't bad is a positive. So many books, so little time to waste on books you don't like unless there is a reason to read them (information you need, because you want to be able to discuss it, to get a grade).

Back
Top Bottom