"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-27-2008, 04:55 PM   #561
Master Chef

yep, you have my appetite, too MK

Old 07-27-2008, 10:42 PM   #562
Executive Chef

Time Is A River by Mary Alice Monroe.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:48 PM   #563
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I just started reading Past Perfect by Susan Issacs.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #564
Senior Cook

Just finished "The Book Thief" by Marcus Zusak, and now reading something lighter, "Summer Blowout" by Clare Cook.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #565
Master Chef

How many of you refuse to give up on books? I used to be this way. Then one day I realizzed that there are so many books that I'll never be able to read that I don't need to waste my time on books I don't enjoy. If I'm not enjoying it, I only continue to read IF there is information I want in that book, or someone I care about recommended it or gave it to me. Luckily I was taught to speed-read when I was a child. So I use those skills to get the information out of a book I might not normally read. My husband is not a big reader, and I often speed-read a book to find out if he will like it! It is so funny; I picked up Victoria's Daughters for myself, and when I read an excerpt to hubby, he immediately wanted to read it! Someone gave me House of Rain and Fire and I, too, found it depressing. Also the first book by an Afghan author ... Oh, yes, the Kite book. I did love his (her?) second book, though. This is what I mean by reading books because they contain information I want to acquire. I feel a need to know more about these cultures, and I read those books to get a "flavor" of the people. There is also an author of "graphic novels" (i.e., what we call comic books for adults) who gave me a great insight into a woman's life in the middle east.

One thing I must say is that I often can recognise a very good book even though I hate it. That is one reason why I always have several books going at one time. I may wish to get through a bio or history or even on occaision a science book. So I will read a few chapters of it, then pick up a funny murder mystery to give my weary brain a rest. Oh, yes, let's not forget cook books!
Old 07-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #566
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
How many of you refuse to give up on books?
My wife is this way. If she reads the first page then she is committed until the end, even if she absolutely hates the book. I felt horrible when I recommended Interview With A Vampire to her thinking she would love it. I was wrong and she was stuck reading it until she finished.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:57 AM   #567
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Just finished The Big Nowhere by James Ellroy. Fascinating peek at the year 1950 in LA. Pretty dark, but beautifully written. Just started An Innocent Man by John Grisham. A friend came over this morning, saw it, and commented that it is very depressing. Hmmmm. May switch to something else.
Read Ellroy's "My Dark Places" it's his true life story. It is dark, but if you like his books it will explain a lot. I have read nearly all.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:59 AM   #568
Senior Cook

claire,
I give up on books and like you have several going at the same time. Some of them are old favorites that I enjoy reading a second time. Like visiting an old friend.

I'm reading Black Water by T. Jefferson Parker, My Grandfather's Blessings & cookbooks all the time.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 PM   #569
Head Chef

I give up on books too. I read the first 50 pages and if it hasn't grabbed me or I don't care about the characters by then, it's gone. As Claire said, there are too many good books out there for me to waste my time reading a book I can't get interested in. What a waste of good reading time!

I read only one book at a time but usually for pleasure. Where is the pleasure in prodding through a book you don't like? If I can gleam some good information out of a book such as "The Cruelest Miles" or John Grisham's "An Innocent Man" then that's a bonus. Those books were fascinating as well as good reading.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:36 PM   #570
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
99 snowflakes in thread crochet....
make your orders now I only have 5 months to crank 'em out!! :)

I'm also working my way through Burpee's COmplete Veg and Herb Gardener.
I have a LONG list for next year, I better start digging out more space!!!!