Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have completely run out of books, Borders is gone, and I didn't see anything interesting on the supermarket book rack, so I am catching up on my Food & Wine, Cooking Light, Healthy Cooking, and Everday Food magazine subscriptions.

I went to the library yesterday and picked up two Jamie Oliver books: jamie's italy and jamie at home. The second book is based on his TV show of the same name.

I have been reading the four hour body lately by tim ferris

really good book on different type of foods that enhance your body and well being:chef:

can someone recommend a book that i will be reluctant to finish, feel sad to leave? i miss that kind of book ending--the one that feels like bidding goodbye to a dear friend....

vitauta said:
can someone recommend a book that i will be reluctant to finish, feel sad to leave? i miss that kind of book ending--the one that feels like bidding goodbye to a dear friend....

I just started Elizabeth Peters' "Crocodile on the Sandbank", I am liking her style so far. She has a series, all available on Kindle. About a very independent feminist, circa 1890, who travels. Sorta Miss Marple-like.

Back to work, not much time to read now. :(

I just started Elizabeth Peters' "Crocodile on the Sandbank", I am liking her style so far. She has a series, all available on Kindle. About a very independent feminist, circa 1890, who travels. Sorta Miss Marple-like.

school can act as a very effective stimulant for book reading, actually....:)

vitauta said:
school can act as a very effective stimulant for book reading, actually....:)

Ah, I would agree, but right now there's too much stuff going on, Vit. Been in the education biz for over 28 years. I'm exhausted.

Last edited:
Ah, I would agree, but right now there's too much stuff going on, Vit. Been in the education biz for over 28 years. I'm exhausted.

my ex was a h.s. social studies teacher, and it always seemed like school year beginnings were marked by huge commotions and upheavals, thankfully followed by a period of settling down and settling in. i hope you have that quieting time at yours, dawg. hey, 28 years, you're a "seasoned" educator by now, then....:)

vitauta said:
my ex was a h.s. social studies teacher, and it always seemed like school year beginnings were marked by huge commotions and upheavals, thankfully followed by a period of settling down and settling in. i hope you have that quieting time at yours, dawg. hey, 28 years, you're a "seasoned" educator by now, then....:)

Thanks for the support, Vit! You would not believe all the crap...anyway, check out Elizabeth Peters.

The one book I read over and over as a kid and a young adult was " Gone With the Wind", always hoping for a different ending. Probably my favorite movie too.

I nominate Accordion Crimes by Annie Proulx. The Shipping News was the first of hers I read, leading me to this engrossing book.

If you've already been there, done that, have you tried A. S. Byatt? She wrote Possession, which as in so many cases was a much better book than film.

oKaY, i have my book fix for now, thank you dawg and tinlizzie. so, i've got e. peters' the golden one, a. proulx's accordion crimes (wow), and george eliot's mill on the floss--one of hers i missed in am. lit, and i've still got salt going....feeling good! :)

Last edited:
I recomend any book by the author Richard Paul Evans. Whenever I read one of his book I cannot put it down until it's done. Another book I throughly enjoyed is 90 minutes in heaven by don piper.

I'm currently on her Falcon at the Portal. There are 19 books in the series. I am on #11 and have the other 8 waiting. Lovely series. Highly recommend it.

jabbur said:
I'm currently on her Falcon at the Portal. There are 19 books in the series. I am on #11 and have the other 8 waiting. Lovely series. Highly recommend it.

Good to know, Jabbur. I have several of her books on Kindle that, as I recall, I got either free or really cheap.

do you think there is a real advantage to reading the amelia series in order? right now, i'm going for the cheap reads first....

do you think there is a real advantage to reading the amelia series in order? right now, i'm going for the cheap reads first....

Yes I think so. The books go forward in time so as you read through the series, technology changes, children grow up and characters outside the family recur and have life changes that sometimes affects the story line. I started with The Last Camel Died at Noon though. It made references to things that had happened in earlier books. While it didn't detract from the story, it made me curious so had to go back and read the others from the beginning. The Crocodile on the Sandbank is the first one and I would expect the older ones to be cheaper anyway.

Yes I think so. The books go forward in time so as you read through the series, technology changes, children grow up and characters outside the family recur and have life changes that sometimes affects the story line. I started with The Last Camel Died at Noon though. It made references to things that had happened in earlier books. While it didn't detract from the story, it made me curious so had to go back and read the others from the beginning. The Crocodile on the Sandbank is the first one and I would expect the older ones to be cheaper anyway.

i agree with every word you just said. were you a debating team champion ever?

devil's knot, a book by mara leveritt was added to my current book stack today. it is a book written about the case of the wm3, a detailing of this "botched" murder case handling, and its modern day witch trial atmosphere. celebrities including johnny depp, eddie vedder and one of the dixie chicks were instrumental in gaining freedom for the three young men, who have spent the last 14 years in prison, convicted of the triple murder that took place in 1993. the crime was a grisly, heinous one, in which three eight year old boys were beaten, hogtied, and dumped in a ditch. one of the boys was castrated. the west memphis three were convicted on circumstantial evidence only, with apparently a great deal of weight placed on satanic references and rhetoric. they were freed from prison today amidst much controversy, fanfare and speculation. one wonders who it was that killed those young boys? maybe now with the wm3 freed we'll get to find out....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom