Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I haven't read Kings version of A Time to Remember, Stanley Shapiro's book about a man who travels back in time to prevent JFKs assassination.

Shapiro's book put me to sleep. I would hope that King did a better job of it.

There is another book along the same lines; "Time Out of Mind" by Peter Delacorte, which tells a time travel theory about how much better the world would have been if they went back in time and killed Reagan.

I haven't read that one yet either, but it's on my reading list.
I only started it yesterday, but so far I like the King book. It moves along pretty quickly.

The Peter Delacorte book sounds interesting. Might have to look into that one as well.

Sometimes I like books that put me to sleep. Probably why I read so much non-fiction. :)

By the way, if you like physics, you might also want to look into some of Stephen Hawkings books. I have trouble visualizing concepts, but Hawking explains things in a way that makes it both interesting and understandable.

I only started it yesterday, but so far I like the King book. It moves along pretty quickly.

The Peter Delacorte book sounds interesting. Might have to look into that one as well.

Sometimes I like books that put me to sleep. Probably why I read so much non-fiction. :)

By the way, if you like physics, you might also want to look into some of Stephen Hawking's books. I have trouble visualizing concepts, but Hawking explains things in a way that makes it both interesting and understandable.

Thanks! The Physics book I just started is intended to be the text for a year to a year and a half course study. It'll probably keep me busy for at least a couple months. I read books like this pretty slowly. I want to absorb every bit of the information in them.

I read at least 4 hours a day. 2 hours in bed each evening and a couple more during the day. Later, I'll probably pick up a couple of Hawking's books.

I just got around to starting "11/22/63" by Stephen King. The storyline seems very interesting, but I'll admit I balked at starting it because of the sheer size.

I don't read much fiction. The last King book I read was "The Stand" and that was back in the 80s.

i just can't read stephen king. i've tried several times. there might be something there but if so its hidden in the tall weeds....

I just finished "Room" by Emma Donoghue. The fact is, I'd just picked up a light pperback, what I was looking for for the post-holiday winter doldrums, and lost it after the first chapter (literally, can't find the book). So I picked this up from my shelf of books I bought at sales and people have given me (most of my books come from the library). NOT what the doctor ordered, but still fascinating. Finally braved the almost-thawed roads to go to the library and am now reading some lighter fare.

I got "The Taken," by Robert Crais, today. I'm almost done with the Cussler I'm reading, so this one will be next. Love Elvis Cole and Joe Pike stories.

I'm on my public library reserve list for "The Taken" by Robert Crais and I expect to begin reading it in about 3 weeks. :)

I just completed Lee Child's "The Affair" and sorry to say it was not one of his best, at least in my opinion. But as always his books are very involving in the sense that they're hard to put down.

Last edited:
I'm on my public library reserve list for "The Taken" by Robert Crais and I expect to begin reading it in about 3 weeks. :)

I just completed Lee Child's "The Affair" and sorry to say it was not one of his best, at least in my opinion. But as always his books are very involving in the sense that they're hard to put down.

Have you read any Crais?

I ask because, Elvis Cole and Joe Pike have a long history.

Last edited:
PF, I've read all the Crais!!! :D Except his most recent of course. I've been with him since the beginning! :) He's one of my favorite authors. He's on my list of authors who I read all their novels! I particularly like his Pike character.

Last edited:
PF, I've read all the Crais!!! :D Except his most recent of course. I've been with him since the beginning! :) He's one of my favorite authors. He's on my list of authors who I read all their novels! I particularly like his Pike character.

It's so rare that I meet someone who actually reads an author I do. Wonderful. I too have been with Crais since the beginning.

Well...there are the Science Fiction authors from A to Z.

I read SF incessantly from when I first learned to read in elementary school, and Space Cadet was the first novel I ever read (in the 4th grade?). I continued to read SF through college and a few years after although I eventually burned out. These days I'll read one or two SF novels a year, hoping I'll reach a point where I'll rekindle my enthusiasm for SF, but so far it hasn't happened. However I'll always appreciate the great enjoyment I got from the many SF novels I read during my SF era.

These days I like to read mystery/suspense/thrillers and have been experimenting with reading some fantasy now and then.

Last edited:
I read SF incessantly from when I first learned to read in elementary school, and Space Cadet was the first novel I ever read (in the 4th grade?). I continued to read SF through college and a few years after although I eventually burned out. These days I'll read one or two SF novels a year, hoping I'll reach a point where I'll rekindle my enthusiasm for SF, but so far it hasn't happened. However I'll always appreciate the great enjoyment I got from the many SF novels I read during my SF era.

These days I like to read mystery/suspense/thrillers and have been experimenting with reading some fantasy now and then.

Have you read Peter Robinson's books. He writes mysteries about Inspector Banks? He has written 19 books in the series. The first one is called Gallows View. Here is a site with all of them in order.
Peter Robinson

No I haven't. I'll consider your recommendation. ... I'm having a bit of a problem getting on the subject of books and authors this morning. I'm distracted by other things on my mind. I'll return to the subject when my concentration returns.

Hi, I'm reading the song of ice and fire series by George RR Martin enjoying every bit of it. I'm on the fourth book, a lot slower than the previous ones but very good all the same!
I'm a big fan of fantasy books too and have my eyes set on the name of the wind for when I finish this ones.;)

That fourth George RR Martin book keeps getting shuffled to the bottom of my TBR stack... I keep hearing folks say it's hard to power through it.

I'm currently reading the second book in the Kingkiller Chronicles ("The Wise Man's Fear"). Those are excellent books.

The most recent novels I've enjoyed: SF/history genre Blackout and All Clear about time travelers from 2060 who became trapped in 1941 and 1945 WWII era England, and their struggles to get back to ... (ahem) the future.

I've been meaning to read these... I really enjoyed Connie Willis' "Doomsday Book." She also wrote the hilarious "To Say Nothing of the Dog." Anyone who enjoyed Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat" will love that one.

Back
Top Bottom