Just wondering ... what is everyone reading now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have never been into novels, mysteries, or books that tell stories. Right now I'm reading The Big Idea by Danny Deutsch. It's about entrepreneurial dreams and making them happen. He use to have a show years ago on this which was really interesting.

I am currently reading a Kindle book on how to write Kindle books :LOL:. Seriously, I have been encouraged for quite awhile now to write about my experiences with bipolar and chronic pain and electronic publishing seems to be the way to go these days. The book gives a 15 day program, but I have spent half of that just on the first two "days"!

But it is a very interesting read.

I'm reading...

Good Morning!
Its been awhile since I've posted something, so thought I'd add my two-cents worth about a book I just finished this morning. I'm a huge fan of author Elly Griffiths, love her mystery series with Ruth Galloway, an archeologist (s) and now she has a new mystery series. Its called A Magic Men Mystery and the book I just finished is titled, "The Zig-Zag Girl", set in postwar Brighton, and takes readers on a wild ride full of mayhem, magic and murder. I didn't think I would like it when I first started it, but it sweeps you in and grabs you. :)

I just finished up the latest Scrapbooking Mystery, "Parchment and Old Lace". Now I'm working my way through a memoir book that looked intriguing when I glanced through it my last trip to the library, Titled "Life from Scratch", most of the book reads like an autobiography with a few recipes tossed in. Surprisingly, I'm rather enjoying it!

Over the last several months I have been captivated by a series of books by Fern Michaels. Three in particular have caught my interest and they all intertwine, with the characters being woven from series to series. Makes for interesting reading and I am fascinated with the personalities of the characters.

They are specifically the Texas, Vegas and Kentucky ones. The Vegas series is comprised of 4 books, the other two have 3 books each. I'm just now finishing up the last one of the Kentucky grouping.

All the stories are good and I am especially enjoying this last series because it is set in my home state so I can relate to the geography, etc. The Kentucky Derby plays an important part in all three, which is great fun for me because I can envision all the gorgeous horse farms in and around Lexington, along with the beautiful horses. I'm going to be a just a little bit sad when I finish this last book.

My extensive Lenovo manual for my new laptop!
dontlaugh.gif

Over the last several months I have been captivated by a series of books by Fern Michaels. Three in particular have caught my interest and they all intertwine, with the characters being woven from series to series. Makes for interesting reading and I am fascinated with the personalities of the characters.

They are specifically the Texas, Vegas and Kentucky ones. The Vegas series is comprised of 4 books, the other two have 3 books each. I'm just now finishing up the last one of the Kentucky grouping.

All the stories are good and I am especially enjoying this last series because it is set in my home state so I can relate to the geography, etc. The Kentucky Derby plays an important part in all three, which is great fun for me because I can envision all the gorgeous horse farms in and around Lexington, along with the beautiful horses. I'm going to be a just a little bit sad when I finish this last book.

Like you Katie, I was completely captivated by this series! It made such an impression on me, and I still remember the Coleman family even though its been over 20 years since I read the series. I might have to read them again - I think I'll stop by the used book store today. :)

"The Sisterhood" series by Fern Michaels are good reads, too. There are about 10 if I recall, it should say on her website. None of her books have topped the Texas, etc. series though, IMO. I too remember being disappointed when I finished the last in that series - I wanted it to go on....:)

Kayelle, so many times I have started a book and it was terrible. I just couldn't get interested in it. But by some miracle, by the time I reached the middle of the book it grabbed me and I couldn't put it down.

Right now I am reading Me Before You by JoJo Moyes. Very good!!

River Of Darkness
The Blood Dimmed Tide
The Dead Of Winter
The Reckoning

The author is Rennie Airth. He wrote this spellbinding series of mysteries set in England. I really enjoyed reading these.

I'm inishing up the "Wolf Within" series (6 novels) by Amy Lee Burgess, an urban fantasy series uncomplicated by the fact there are (were)wolves and the Others (humans). In her were world the weres do NOT feed on the humans nor do they prey on them, and they are separate species and the only way you can become were is to have were parents. (Actually she never broached the subject of species cross fertility nor half-breeds.)

I found the first 3 novels free at public libraries and purchased the last three novels at about $3 at Amazon, a very reasonable fee considering you could probably read the series of 6 for about $20 on Amazon.

As I said, in Burgess' series the weres are not much more than a secret society among humans, no preying, no biting and turning humans into weres. Born were you are were, born human you are human, nothing changes it. Burgess' series is set in the modern world, Internet, cellphones, jet aircraft, but ah... were life is not so simple. And to make it worse -- and the contention of the entire series -- there are two factions which are minorities amongst the weres.

One of the factions wants to maintain the old ways, hiding amongst humans, performing unremarkable professions that allows them to stay underground, while the opposing faction wants to "come out" and inform humans of their existence, presuming that the were superiority will eventually become the predominant species. The conservatives are convinced that the humans will hunt the down and kill them. (The protagonist Constance -- "Stanzie" -- and I agree that humans would want to kill out the weres.)

(Aside: in one of Amy's afterwards she says one of her rules is to not mix supernaturals, no were-vampire lovers, and all I can say is it works for her. But the opposite works for notable authorial competitors like Patricia Briggs.)

As I said this is urban fantasy, the definition being "the modern world except we have supernatural beings too." In addition it is of course like much urban fantasy also romantic fiction, and a large part of the plotting involves Stanzie (an American) and her Irish Liam Murphy lover, the two who are thrown together in the series opener. Murphy who often seem to be an antagonist too, but can they be lovers?

There is mild graphic sex (the weres have to have sex to enable their change to wolves) and middling romance (not so much to turn off me who is not a romantic novel enthusiast). On the other hand the plot twists and suspense make me wonder if my image or impression of the author is a bit naive because Burgess pulls it off as a consummate professional! Her portrayal of the folly of human misunderstandings is a great contributory factor to the emotional tension of her novels too. "He said, she said" but will they ever realize they misunderstand they are really on the same page???

What I mean is a whole lot of suspense and intrigue, not so much graphic sex to turn off prudes, not so much romance to turn off people like me who aren't interested in romantic novels unless the romance is a sub-plot. (Romance is nice but IMO not the subject that amuses me in a novel.)

So I give Amy Lee Burgess' "The Wolf Within" (6 novels) a thumbs up for those who either enjoy or are willing to try urban fantasy, her novels are romantic but not too romantic for me this "gag me with a spoon romance" guy, not offensively graphic to offend all but the most sensitive prudes -- and her explicit scenes are not gratuitous nor irrelevant -- so they were not thrown in just to satisfy some publisher's formula for a bodice ripper.

Just furthermore to make it all clear, many of the recent urban fantasy novels I've read were aimed for the young adult market, but in no way did I feel that Burgess' Wolf Within was YA material. The protagonist Stanzie (Constance) is in her 30s yet weres live to about 150 so she's young yet not so young compared to we mere humans. (Well I was young at 30 and still young in my 60s.) This is not a kid series, and the plotting is definitely sophisticated, adult and heavy on the suspense, a deft hand on the romance and explicitness, and Ms. Burgess presents a unique, new view about the wolves within us, maybe yet real and hidden among our society.

Although I am reading the series finale (#6) or at least the most recently published in the series (2013) I hope she will right more sequels... Um, news flash!!! ---- In researching this review I discovered she just published/released her latest (7th) Wolf Within novel "One Step Ahead" which I just purchased with Amazon one-click Kildle feature. Published just yesterday and I thought I would be finishing the closer tonight or tomorrow night. Sweet sorrow, I get to start #7 in the next day or two, but now I have to wait ... a year? ... for #8? Amy said she wrote the opener in ... 18 hours? (Yes Amy I read your afterwards.) So I hope she will come out with #8 soon!

To be honest I'm a bit on edge with #6 "Across The Line" and was worried it could be a series closer, just the fact that #7 is there was enough to cause me to grab #7 right this instant! :) If Stanzie (nickname for Constance which long name she hates) is guaranteed to last to book #7 then put me in line for book #8!

Just to put this in perspective, I read her series debut beginning about December 1st (maybe November 30th) and here I am half way through novel #6 only 10 days later, and already bought #7 because I'll doubtless finish #6 tomorrow night (I'm a night reader) and can go right on to #7!

Cute chick too:

61KFb5iy2KL._UX250_.jpg

Sorry Amy, I hope you don't mind being called a "cute chick." If I had a wolf within, my wolf would be very attracted to you and your wolf! I'd love to be in your Pack! Would you be my alpha? :) ;) From her biography she currently lives in Houston (after a disastrous affair with Katrina New Orleans) so maybe Houston is not my cup of tea (I've visited there) yet Santa Fe my cup of tea turned out to not be my cup of tea either. (At least we in Santa Fe had good and/or interesting weather, but small town life was not for me.) My visits to Houston have all been in good weather but I hear stories... Monsoon in Santa Fe was a thriller, the only thing I miss more about Santa Fe is when Hatch chilis are in season and they sell them in the stores and roast them to your taste in rotary grilles outside! I can only imagine Monsoon in Houston, hope it isn't as bad as I imagine. Oh well, at least it isn't Katrina!

To finish up, I'm in book #6 and evidently reading #7 since I already bought it. All I can say is that Amy appeared to me to be a new author but after reading her books I could only call her a master, along with my favorites Patricia Briggs, M.J. Scott, Anne Bishop, Karen Marie Moning, Faith Hunter, Kelly Armstrong, Karen Chance, Nalini Singh, Kim Harrison, and not to mention (as I mention them) J.R.R. Tolkein and George R.R. Martin, to whom both which Amy may aspire to some day as she perfects her writing skills. (Tolkein and Martin are arguably the preeminent fantasy authors, almost like gods.)

All I can say is Amy has a good start, and I hope she keeps on going, because as long as she keeps on going I'll keep on buying! I'm headed for her other novels once I finish #7.

Last edited:
I have just started reading a different series by one of my favorite cozy mystery writers, Julie Hyzy. "Grace Under Pressure" is the first in the Manor House Mysteries. The main character is a curator in a historic manor which is in a small town that mentions Chicago as the "big city".

I sadly learned that Hyzy's other cozy series, The White House Chef, will be ending-ish with the next book. I added the "-ish" because even though Hyzy won't be continuing on with the books, the publisher does own the rights and would have the ability to hire on a new author and continue it. Somehow I have the feeling that the 9th book in the series may be my last that I'll read.

If you want a little insight into an area of publishing that involves "Work-for-Hire" writing, Julie's December 16th blog post is for you. With royalties at 21 cents per book sold, I guess writing isn't always the road to riches.

I'm a published author myself and the idea of selling the rights to continue your series without you strikes me as really crazy.

Pick an author like George R.R. Martin and maybe so, considering his Game of Thrones franchise and relationship with HBO. It is publicly known that he has furnished the TV series producers with outlines of the 6th and 7th (final) novel in the series, in case he meets his demise before the series has completed filming.

Speaking of Martin, he has just announced that he missed his 12/31 deadline for GOT #6 and that the studio will have to begin filming before his manuscripts for the season are complete. One can only assume that they are confident in his authorial competence (well deserved) and he must be close to completing the current season even if he didn't have a wrap.

One can hope that the #6 novel will be released this year. As far as I'm concerned novels are always better than teleproductions of the same novels.

However this bodes poorly for #7 since if you analyze his authorial performance vis a vis GOT you will see he's never come close to one sequel/year.

And yet worse, it's already clear (see my previous posts in this topic regarding Martin's writing performance) that even if he does finish #7 -- note that in his and many novels in the genre the "sept" based upon the number 7 is sacred, and Martin has always admitted he intends GOT to run 7 total in the series.

I said it before and I'll say it again: my prediction. Not only will Martin *NOT* finish #7 by 12/31/2016 (in time for the next season to be started with the scripts "in the can") but furthermore Martin will IMO not be able to finish GOT within his "sept" precept but that while he may finish #7 by 12/31/2016 he will not be able to finish the series with the 7th sequel. His novels run 700-850 pages each, and #7 will run longer than that until he has to cut it off and ship it, and begin GOT #8 where #7 left off, for another several hundred pages in the series finale.

This is not necessarily bad, and in fact by all means I see it as good. HBO squeezes another season out of GOT, Martin and his publisher get paid for yet another installment, and readers (presumably who enjoy his works) will get another hit of GOT!i

Just remember my prophesy that GOT will run 8 not 7 novels (unless Martin dies before his work is complete).

In any case this is good whether or not my speculations prove out.

I'm a published author myself and the idea of selling the rights to continue your series without you strikes me as really crazy...
I guess you didn't read Julie's blog, since she didn't "sell the rights to continue". This is how her original contract was set up, when the series started about 10 years ago, maybe? She was new to writing. There is MORE in her blog. If you care to know all the facts, go ahead and click the link I supplied in my original comment.

Back
Top Bottom