Let's Talk TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i never thought it was funny when he said that, having seen friends' moms being beaten, shortly before they were as i ran away.

other stuff gleason said or did was funny.

But he never did hit her. It was always a threat. I think he was more afraid of her than the other way around. :angel:

About the same number of folks who would get after me for threatening to smother Shrek in his sleep.
And then there's my signature...:ohmy:

I've learned over the years that the people who threaten to do harm to others are the ones that rid themselves of frustration just by saying it. It's the silent ones you have to watch for. The ones who seem "so nice". They are the dangerous ones. Himself will have to start worrying once I stop uttering "I'm gonna kill you!" every time he ticks me off. :LOL: Until then, he's safe.

Continually threatening to hit someone is bullying verbal abuse that is frightening and intimidating and damages a person's self-esteem. It's no more acceptable than actually hitting someone.

does anyone else like watching cooking shows when they eat meals (especially if the show features what you are eating at the moment), or like to snack while watching cooking or otherwise foodie shows?

since i eat a lot of meals alone :( , and i am so often surrounded by multiple television shows at once, i've found i really enjoy my food more when i watch the aforementioned shows, with emphasis on the show being of what you're eating.

if not, try it and see.

Bucky, I used to enjoy watching Iron Chef (the original Japanese version) while eating dinner as it came on at that time. It was rarely about what I was eating, but I loved seeing what the chefs came up with. I now usually watch the news and sometimes TB can come home for dinner (if his drop-off and next pickup are within our area) so I talk to him rather than watching TV.

I finally got to see Scorpion tonight. Great show! I will have to make that a regular!

does anyone else like watching cooking shows when they eat meals (especially if the show features what you are eating at the moment), or like to snack while watching cooking or otherwise foodie shows?

since i eat a lot of meals alone :( , and i am so often surrounded by multiple television shows at once, i've found i really enjoy my food more when i watch the aforementioned shows, with emphasis on the show being of what you're eating.

if not, try it and see.

I was an avid fan of the Food Network when it first came on. But over the years they have dumbed down to the viewer. They also got rid a lot of my favorite hosts.

So now mostly on Saturday, is when I watch cooking shows. I still watch Jacques Pepin faithfully. No hype with him. And he has such a quiet nature about his show. PBS is my go to for cooking shows. ATK, Sara, and a couple of others are my normal staple. Unfortunately, none are on when I am eating. :angel:

if not, try it and see.

I have found watching cooking shows or shows about food make me hungry for dinner.
Even if I already had dinner!

I was an avid fan of the Food Network when it first came on. But over the years they have dumbed down to the viewer. They also got rid a lot of my favorite hosts.

So now mostly on Saturday, is when I watch cooking shows. I still watch Jacques Pepin faithfully. No hype with him. And he has such a quiet nature about his show. PBS is my go to for cooking shows. ATK, Sara, and a couple of others are my normal staple. Unfortunately, none are on when I am eating. :angel:

I also watched FN regularly in the beginning. Now just occasionally.
And yes, Jacques Pepin is great. I watch him each Sat. if i remember hes on.

We never watch the tube during dinner, unless we are in a restaurant with TVs going. That was a rule Mrs. K and I put into effect when we were raising our daughter. Dinner was family time, and there were no interruptions from phone, TV, or handheld devices.

i guess i was unclear.

we also don't watch tv during dinner as a family, which is why i mentioned that i do it when eating alone.

also, i didn't say watching food shows made me hungry (before or after eating), but rather watching a show while eating, especially if the show is about the same food you are eating at the moment, can make the food more enjoyable.

I frequently watch food TV while eating lunch at home. I record shows I like so I'm not dependent on what the networks are showing. I think a lot of the actual cooking shows have been moved to the Cooking Channel. I don't get the Cooking Channel, but sometimes I watch episodes on my tablet or on TV with Chromecast.

I don't plan it well enough to be eating the same thing they're making, but if I see something I might want to make, I pin it to Pinterest.

i guess i was unclear.
Not unclear.

You asked "does anyone else like watching cooking shows when they eat meals (especially if the show features what you are eating at the moment), or like to snack while watching cooking or otherwise foodie shows?"

I was replying that I don't.

But just so I'm not unclear, I don't watch TV when I'm eating by myself, either. Ok. Very occasionally if there's a game on or something like that. But I don't make a habit of it. Also, we don't have cable/dish, so we don't get Food Network, or Cooking Channel, or any of those.

Last edited:
Not unclear.

You asked "does anyone else like watching cooking shows when they eat meals (especially if the show features what you are eating at the moment), or like to snack while watching cooking or otherwise foodie shows?"

I was replying that I don't.

But just so I'm not unclear, I don't watch TV when I'm eating by myself, either. Ok. Very occasionally if there's a game on or something like that. But I don't make a habit of it. Also, we don't have cable/dish, so we don't get Food Network, or Cooking Channel, or any of those.

i know it sounds weird, but try it. i noticed a strangely enjoyable feeling once when i was eating sushi while watching a show about how to make sushi.
i tried it again while eating omelettes one morning while watching jacques pepin, and another time watching maria esposito in italy while i was eating - you guessed it... pasta.

you can record a pbs cooking or travel/foodie show show, then either make or take out the same thing and see what i mean.

it's weird, but i guess it goes along the lines of eating with your eyes.

i know it sounds weird, but try it. i noticed a strangely enjoyable feeling once when i was eating sushi while watching a show about how to make sushi.
Lol... not quite the same, but sometimes I do get an urge for a Tony O(liva)'s Cubano sandwich while watching a Twins game.

Although other times while watching them, I get an urge to down a few scotches to dull the pain. :glare:

tell me about it. i stopped watching baseball before the end of august this year, even with the jeter retirement circus going on.

About to watch American Horror Story: Freak Show. I haven't seen any of the other seasons. This one sounds really interesting.

Last edited:
is it about zombies?
maybe it would be more enjoyable if you were a cannibal.

jus' sayin'...

No zombies, but so far, I'm very impressed! Love old circus shows, and I'm terrified of clowns. Think I'll be following this one, and may have to look into the previous seasons.

It has elements of a very old movie, Freaks (1932), and a great book, Geek Love (K. Dunn).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom