"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-03-2007, 01:31 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Wow, Pacanis, bully sticks are new to me. I must have seen them in pet stores before but I guess I thought they were just another raw hide. I did a google search and voila, I found lots of sources for them, including the Brazilian ones you recommend. Actually, it's just as you said - everyone recommends them. Thanks for educating me. I only have one dog now so I don't have pack issues except when my friend visits with her dogs. That's when Bella gets the flavored ones - she steals them from her dachshund buddies. She can do this with impunity because she's 80 lbs and her large rawhide bones are way too big for the wiener dogs to get in their mouths! But I'm going to get some of these bully sticks and see if it addresses her gas problem.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Most dogs, mine included, will chew them right down to nothing, but I've seen one dog swallow the stick when it gets down to a couple inches, throwing it back up later of course
I've also seen a dog gagging on his kibble to where I needed to address the situation, yet people still feed their dogs
Like any toy or chew, see how your dog does with them.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Bella chews bones and rawhides right down to nothing but I've never seen her choke (yet). It's funny, she used to love to steal my youngest son's stuffed toys and seemed to just hoard them, which was great until we discovered she systematically chews out all the eyes and discards them. (Maybe she's related to DawnT's devil dog!) This freaked my son out so we had to teach her she could only have toys we specifically gave to her.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:11 PM   #14
Executive Chef

My dogs dont have a problem with gas but Lobo our shepard would choke on the flat square raw hides I had to pull them out his throat several times so I gave those away he has no problem with bone shaped ones. He would chew a big corner off on the flat ones.