"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-16-2014, 11:49 PM   #2541
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Actually, optometrists can diagnose. Here in MA an optometrist can even prescribe some medications. If they see a cataract they can call it a cataract, they just can't treat the cataract. They have to refer the patient on to an ophthalmologist. Ophthalmology is just another medical discipline, like OB/GYN or cardiologist.

Heck, nowadays PAs and NPs can do so many things that were once the domain of doctors only.
I didn't mention any specific state. I know what an optometrist can and can not do here in Massachusetts. I have been wearing glasses for 70+ years. So I am aware of that fact. And I do know the difference between an optometrist and ophthalmologist. I may be up there in years and long in the tooth, but I still have all my faculties.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #2542
Master Chef

Didn't mean to get your knickers in a twist Addie. My main point is that it is acceptable for an optometrist to recognize any medical condition that is required to be treated by an eye MD. If my optometrist sees that I have a cataract he isn't required to say "I think you need to see a doctor about your left eye". He can tell me he suspects I might have a cataract and that I need to see an ophthalmologist for a more complete diagnosis and any possible treatment.

Old 01-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #2543
Chef Extraordinaire

Nothing gets my dander up quicker than if you attack one of my children or say or do something that makes me look stupid. Apology accepted with grace (I hope). Thank you for understanding.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:18 AM   #2544
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Didn't mean to get your knickers in a twist Addie. My main point is that it is acceptable for an optometrist to recognize any medical condition that is required to be treated by an eye MD. If my optometrist sees that I have a cataract he isn't required to say "I think you need to see a doctor about your left eye". He can tell me he suspects I might have a cataract and that I need to see an ophthalmologist for a more complete diagnosis and any possible treatment.
Yeah, here in Quebec, I need a referral to see an ophthalmologist. I can get one from an optometrist.
Old 01-17-2014, 12:36 AM   #2545
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking of just taking it back saturday morning instead of trying to fit it in tomorrow. Luckily the body shop and rental place are very close to home.

I miss my little car, although the rental is quite nice, there is something about having your own car!
I think this sounds much better than trying to do too much all at once.

You can do it. Just once more day. Take it easy on yourself.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:43 AM   #2546
Proud American

I just found my precious Betta has passed away. I fed her two hours ago and she seemed fine, but when I checked on her as I always do, she has passed. I'm so very sad.

Earlier today, I went to the grocery store after class, and a rude woman shoved my cart away and pushed her cart in front of me in the cashier's line. She said she was in a hurry and she didn't have time to wait in line. I didn't say anything, I just let her go.

Then coming into our gated community, there was that stupid gate guard again and this time he stopped me, asked what I had in the bags, and said he could show me some fun, and told me to meet him at the gate at 11pm. I told him a very nasty thing and I called the HOA about this when I got home.

I'm very unhappy and annoyed.

With love,
~Cat
Old 01-17-2014, 01:05 AM   #2547
Chef Extraordinaire

At one time back in the early 70's, the medical folks fought tooth and nail against having optometrists even look into your eyes. It wasn't until the late 70's/early 80's that the law was changed.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:15 AM   #2548
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatPat View Post
I just found my precious Betta has passed away. I fed her two hours ago and she seemed fine, but when I checked on her as I always do, she has passed. I'm so very sad.

Earlier today, I went to the grocery store after class, and a rude woman shoved my cart away and pushed her cart in front of me in the cashier's line. She said she was in a hurry and she didn't have time to wait in line. I didn't say anything, I just let her go.

Then coming into our gated community, there was that stupid gate guard again and this time he stopped me, asked what I had in the bags, and said he could show me some fun, and told me to meet him at the gate at 11pm. I told him a very nasty thing and I called the HOA about this when I got home.

With love,
~Cat
Good Lord Cat! You've had at least a month's worth of bad day today. Here, you really need one of these...and I have lots to share.

Hope tomorrow is a wonderful day to make up for some of the sad and bad today.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:23 AM   #2549
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

With love,
~Cat
Sorry you had such a bad day, ~Cat!

Bunches of hugs.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #2550
Executive Chef

Quote:

With love,
~Cat

I would have shown him some pain that would have kept him from having "fun" for a very long time!