Petty Vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We went to supper at a mid-range resto. The waiters wore white shirts and ties. So did the bus boys. We dressed a little nice. Why do most people go somewhere nice and wear shorts and a t-shirt when it isn't even hot? Almost no one was dressed "nicely". I really wish people would dress up a little. It wouldn't bug me if some of the customers dressed that casually, but almost all of them?

Many years ago I was just entering a restaurant. It was a somewhat fancy one with tablecloths and napkins, several pieces of silverware, etc. My partner and I were just entering and behind us was another couple. The owner was just about to seat us and asked us to please wait a moment. He asked the couple behind us to follow him. We were watching to see what was happening. He brought them outside to the big picture window and pointed to a sign. Jacket and tie required for the men. No jeans allowed.

"See, I told you to dress nicely. You always look like a slob. Give me the credit card. I am going to eat without you. Go home and wait for me."

He handed her the card and then slunk away. I felt so bad for her. I asked my partner if he minded if I invited her to come to our table. The three of us had a lovely meal, and my partner picked up her tab also. I have the feeling that there was a big fight in that home that night. :angel:

My youngest son had a semi-formal wedding. A lot of the guests who were friends of the bride came from out of state. On the wedding at the bottom, it stated that the wedding was a formal affair. The wedding was at eight p.m. with the reception after. Evidently some of them (make that a lot) young folks can't read or just didn't care. Who do you know that wears short and a tank top to a wedding? My son was horrified. He wanted to ask them to leave. His bride talked him out of it. But she never acknowledged their presence at the reception. Poo and his bride went to every table to thank them for coming. Except for the one with the improperly dressed guests. I am sure the improperly dressed guests felt very uncomfortable. The majority of women were in gowns and the others had fancy cocktail dresses on. I hope the young people learned a lesson that night.

My son and his new bride told the photographer not to take any pictures of the offending guests. He didn't want them in their wedding album. I told him was behaving in a very rude manner. After all they came from out of state. And I didn't raise him to be rude.

"No one is going to insult my wife and turn our wedding into a circus for themselves." I walked away. I had my say. And her mother felt that her daughter and my son were doing the right thing. Not my place to interfere. We don't talk about it to this day. :angel:

I'm just the opposite. I want all my bills laying flat in my wallet, arranged in denomination order, all facing in the same direction, all right side up.

On occasion, when it's really busy at the checkout, I take the bills I get in change and stick them in my pocket so I don't hold up the line arranging my wallet.

My two daughters, who both started out working retail, taught me to hand neatly arranged bills to the cashier when I pay. They are well beyond retail now but I still hand neatly arranged bills to the cashier.

Exactly the same here.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Maybe it's the culture I was brought in, maybe I am too old fashion, but I can't stand jeans at the weddings or other such affairs. People go to church and synagogue like that, drives me crazy. Was at the funeral one time, this one girl was wearing skirt so short you could see her tonsils. Disgusting.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Like Andy, I like my money all nice and neat. I used to have a wallet with a high-low section for the bills. I would put my "working money" in the upper section so it was easier to access, then the $20s would go into the lower level. Kinda like a restaurant having you sit at the bar while you wait for your table to be readied. :LOL: Now that I have just one section, I fold each $20 in half and tuck the cut edges into the side seam. That way if I need another $20 it's easy to grab. Pretty much, though, we just charge every danged thing over $10 and then pay off the entire bill each money. You need to have good money management skills to trust yourself, though. We're good - I'm a tightwad. ;)

Coins first, then the paper. It seems like whenever a cashier puts the coin on top of the paper we both end up picking coins up from everywhere!

Around here they lay the paper in your hand first and then they lay the coins on top of that, then receipt on top of that. I don't like it that way but what are you going to say??

Last edited:
Around here they lay the paper in your hand first and then they lay the coins on top of that, then receipt on top of that. I don't like it that way but what are you going to say??

Around these parts the receipt is at the bottom. The coins are not hidden under the receipt......less chance of coin droppage.

Last edited:
Driving home from getting the propane tank filled, I had to honk at a driver doing something stupid. We were making a left turn from one of two left turn lanes, while the left arrow was on. The driver in the lane to my left obliviously decided to change into my lane in the middle of the turn, without checking if the space was vacant. :bash:

Not only is it illegal in Quebec to change lanes in an intersection, it's just plain not a good idea. It's also not such a hot idea to change lanes without making sure there isn't someone else there. What is the matter with people? \end rant.

taxy, I'm glad you safely won the dodge-em car game. Sounds like that guy did not know two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. :glare: There's probably a Physics term for that, but I got only as far as Chem.

... I can't stand jeans at the weddings or other such affairs. People go to church and synagogue like that, drives me crazy...
I always thought that way, too. Then we moved to MA and settled into our new parish. It seemed that Father was a bit more liberal about attire than our pastor back in OH. When I mentioned to him that one of the younger Eucharistic ministers seemed to be lightly clad in her shorts and tank-top, he said something that made me rethink things. He said "I would rather the youth actually show up and participate in church and community than stay away because I wanted them to dress up". Skirts and shorts were still held to a modern Catholic length, though. With hands straight down along the leg, the hem better not come above a finger tip!

There is the concept in Judaism, of bringing people to Torah, rather than Torah to people. Meaning not to bring Torah to the lower level, rather bring the people higher up. But, that is not even the point. I am in airport in line right now, the family in front of us has thus Yong teenager daughter. She is wearing a bra and a ripped tank top over it. How or why anybody would allow their 13/14 year old do something like that is beyond me. The boarders between nice/modest/casual/sloty / formal/business have been erased. Maybe I am to much of a snob, but I do not like it. Never will.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

There is the concept in Judaism, of bringing people to Torah, rather than Torah to people. Meaning not to bring Torah to the lower level, rather bring the people higher up. But, that is not even the point. I am in airport in line right now, the family in front of us has thus Yong teenager daughter. She is wearing a bra and a ripped tank top over it. How or why anybody would allow their 13/14 year old do something like that is beyond me. The boarders between nice/modest/casual/sloty / formal/business have been erased. Maybe I am to much of a snob, but I do not like it. Never will.
Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Tovarich! My grandparents came from Odessa! I agree with you. Kayelle and I remember that many years ago, a slip showing was a ladies' embarrassment.
Nowadays, they think nothing of having their bra straps showing. What's up with that??

We went to a classical music concert tonight which was absolute heaven! My DH looked absolutely astounding in his grey suit, bold blue dress shirt, and multi-colored paisley tie.

I was dressed in a long sleeveless teal dress that reached nearly to the floor with a matching teal shrug, suntan knee-high hose and black ballet flats. I wore my pearl drop earrings, the matching pearl strand necklace and bracelet, and my marquise sapphire and diamond ring.

When we arrived at the auditorium, we were horrified to see everyone dressed casually, even in t-shirts and shorts! This was a Mozart and Schumann concert, and we were completely taken aback.

The musicians were wearing black dress pants and white dress shirts. We stood in line to congratulate the musicians for a superior performance, and they thought we looked terrific!

The musicians actually thanked us for dressing appropriately. However, this was in a college campus auditorium. Maybe that makes a difference, I guess, but really?

Did we miss something here? Does no one dress up for these classical music concerts any more? Holy cow!

Pirate and I got into a conversation one day. He asked me about the dress code when I was just a kid. We were watching an old B&W movie from the 40's. He thought it was so neat that all the men wore hats and tipped them if they passed a women. Men wore suits, women dresses, except during WWII when they went to work in the factories. Women put on a hat just to go grocery shopping. Gloves were an absolute! And they always wore heels. Sensible heels. Even little kids had a dress code.

We always wore boots when it was raining. Sensible shoes, go to church shoes on Sunday. We always changed our clothes when we came home from school, or from church. Even little girls wore a slip. Boys wore T shirts under their shirts.

Baseball players wore baseball caps. Everyone else wore a hat. Pirate always states that he wishes he lived in that time. So much so, that I may give up watching any movie from the 40's when he is home.

Just a footnote. My second husband came from the south. During the whole time we were married, he always stood up when I entered the room. Along with a decent dress code, proper manners seem to have gone out the window. :angel:

Last edited:
I like casual. At home, I live in sweatpants and sweatshirts, or cut-off sweatpants and t-shirts. However, I do have standards when I go beyond my property line. IF we ever go someplace nice, I don't wear jeans. We just don't go to those places often just because we don't. The fact that many people now wear more casual wear to church for regular services doesn't bother me. After all, people for millennium have dressed in the fashion of the day when attending church. At least I have a pair of "Sunday jeans".

There is the concept in Judaism, of bringing people to Torah, rather than Torah to people...
Without getting all theological, it's the difference between "the letter of the law" and "the spirit of the law". That teaching seemed to have caused a little trouble about 2000 years ago. ;)

Ill bet you wore a plaid skirt and blazer to catholic school.
Yes, I did. However, I attended school when the minimum length was no shorter than touching the floor when kneeling. I'm old. :LOL:

I worked as a cashier right out of high school and was taught to keep bills all facing the same way, so I keep my money in my wallet the same way as Andy, all the same direction, by denomination. When I am given change, I walk away from the register, then stop and put it in my wallet. At that time it does not go by denomination, but when I get home I fix it.

Dress codes. I believe that fancy restaurants have the right to request a certain dress code if it's posted, but otherwise, I don't think it matters what a person is wearing. I see a lot of very casual clothes in church but I don't think God cares what a person has on. The important part is that they are in church. A friend was getting married and one of the guys in our group always wore jeans. Never dress clothes. The other guys told him he was going to have to get a suit etc to wear to the wedding but the girl spoke up and said he is her friend and she wants him at her wedding no matter what he wears. When I was young and went out to the dance clubs, we never trusted the guys who were dressed in suits.

I grew up in a different era. When I was 14 I went on my first airplane. Mom dressed my up in a shirt, tie and sports jacket to fly on the plane.

Today I still tend to overdress for occasions. When I go to a "classy" restaurant, I wear slacks and a shirt with a collar. Most people do. When I see a guy come in wearing jean shorts, a muscle beach shirt and a beat up old cap, It bothers me. I realize that's my problem. If it's OK with the restaurant, it should be OK with me.

Andy, I grew up in the same era as you. LOL I used to feel the same way as you do. I always made my step-children dress up for church, holidays, etc. I still dress up when I go most places. It's fine to wear what makes you feel good. I just no longer judge others by what they are wearing. I think this is because DH is a very casual dresser compared to me and I know he is a good decent person in spite of his blue jeans and tennis shoes. After 37 years, I'm used to it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom