Supermarkets start bagging self-serve checkouts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If I only have a handful of items, then yes. I have no problem with them whatsoever.

Speaking of which, this is one of my pet peeves: people who go through the self-serve lane with 150 items in their cart (even though it almost always says "15 items or less." At least in the stores where I shop.)

I saw one like that once.... I thought they couple was going to spend way more time in line doing it that way.

i use the self-serve 95% of the time. as a shopper i am a real stickler. i can rarely get through an order with a cashier without at least one mistake. me: "excuse me, those are pole beans, not green beans--they're on sale for $1.49." cashier: eyeroll and attitude. in my head i know the price for virtually every item i a purchasing. between the cashiers double-keying, missing stick-on coupons, not knowing an onion from a turnip, and sale items not ringing up correctly, i finally got fed up and started checking out my own orders. that way the mistakes i make are my own, and i don't have to deal with the all too often rude and incompetent cashiers out there....

I heard that, Vit. They do seem prone to mistakes sometimes. It seems to run in spurts.

not feeling well, and opted for a full service check-out for my groceries today. my cashier was one of the super-nice ones, too. still, i ended up overpaying by about $3.00 on my bill because two 1/2 priced items were rung up at full price. i've decided that i'm just one of those customers who is better off self-checking my groceries....

i use the self-serve 95% of the time. as a shopper i am a real stickler. i can rarely get through an order with a cashier without at least one mistake. me: "excuse me, those are pole beans, not green beans--they're on sale for $1.49." cashier: eye roll and attitude. in my head i know the price for virtually every item i a purchasing. between the cashiers double-keying, missing stick-on coupons, not knowing an onion from a turnip, and sale items not ringing up correctly, i finally got fed up and started checking out my own orders. that way the mistakes i make are my own, and i don't have to deal with the all too often rude and incompetent cashiers out there....

then, just imagine being a supermarket cashier for a day;

the smelly drunks who haven't had water OR soap touch them in 6 months, the winos with two teeth remaining and both of those are black and rotten as their breath, the endless losers who hit on you and expect you to have equal desire for them, or the people who think squeaking out a really foul fart whenever they have the desire to is ok, or the rich Itches who treat you as they would their pet dog and speak to you in the same manner, standing in a 2'x2' area all day, listening to the same whining about prices and weather....the list goes on and on and on. Oh and don't forget the Don Juan cowboys who say things like "Well hi there Little Missy", "You've got my britches tingling already" or "Hey there sweetheart, you're just the best thing that's touched my eyes in two weeks" "How about if you and I run back to my place and howl at the moon for awhile" Just imagine having o listen to THAT all day, every day!

The self-service employees who ignore the customers and want to chat with all thier buddies who work there are my least favorite thing about the self service isles. It's like "Excuse me, but do you mind putting your long drawn out discussion with your little friend on hold and help me out here? This stupid machine won't let me continue"! "Please wait for assistance' Ding-Ding", A customer assistance representative is on the way Ding-Ding" "Please just grab your butt and hold on, help is on the way Ding-Ding" Sometimes I feel like grabbing that little pole with the light on it that flashes with the "Ding-Ding" and beating the yakky clerk in the head with it, because everyone waiting in line is looking at me like it's MY fault the damn thing isn't working!

Last edited:
I work in a grocery store. We had a customer throw an onion at a cashier and catch her right in the eye, giving her a black eye. Wanna guess why he did it? She wasn't scanning the customer's order ahead of him fast enough! Oh, she was 9 months pregnant, ready to burst and could barely reach the scanner.

I work in a grocery store. We had a customer throw an onion at a cashier and catch her right in the eye, giving her a black eye. Wanna guess why he did it? She wasn't scanning the customer's order ahead of him fast enough! Oh, she was 9 months pregnant, ready to burst and could barely reach the scanner.

Well, hopefully he was introduced to the local police. Someone should have sent that onion back at him on fast forward!

I love the price gun at Stop and Shop. As the shopper, you scan each item and bag it while shopping. All you have to do at the end is scan a bar code and your store discount card. Select your method of payment, collect your receipt and beat feet. Done! Brilliant!

I only use self-serve checkouts if it is a deep discount no-frills type of store.

In a "normal" store I figure I am paying for the service

Besides people need jobs. They took the gas station attendants job and the elevator operators jobs and the milk mans job. Now they are squeezing out the bank teller and the grocery clerks.

It just ain't right I tell ya! Wake up America!

Couldn't have said it better myself Bea!!

I am getting really meticulous about the way I set things on the conveyor to make it easier for them, and I am still amazed sometimes.

i purposely put the heaviest, hardest stuff on the belt first, then put more items on so things can be easily and safely bagged so as not to crush or cross contaminate stuff.

they always seem to reach over my perfectly ordered groupings and put eggs under large cans, and dripping packages of chicken over lunch meats and bread, and so on.

We have loads of the self serve checkouts here in the UK. I use them quite a lot, unless I have loads of stuff, or if I'm buying alcohol, as it takes them ages to come over and ID me. Easier to go the the proper checkout for that.

i purposely put the heaviest, hardest stuff on the belt first, then put more items on so things can be easily and safely bagged so as not to crush or cross contaminate stuff.

they always seem to reach over my perfectly ordered groupings and put eggs under large cans, and dripping packages of chicken over lunch meats and bread, and so on.

At my store, they love to put the heavy cans on top of any chips you buy. By the time you get home, you have a bag of crumbs.

Wait, hold on, have I missed something? They pack the bags FOR you in the US? Like do they automatically do it, or do they ask you first? Over here they ask us if we need any help with our packing, but they we don't actually have designated people to do it for us. I'm jealous!

Supermarkets have baggers. It's automatic.

When SO and I do our weekly shopping, she is in charge of the checkout and bagging process. I have to load the belt with perishables first so they can go in the cooler bag (in the summer) then other items. She supervises the bagging (we have reusable bags) much to the bagger's dismay. 'Put the meat in a separate bag.' 'No more in that bag, it's too heavy.', etc. I keep telling her not to worry about heavy bags as I'm the one who carries them into the house. I should get her a riding crop and monocle.
She told one bagger to put the perishables in the cooler bag and he asked, "What's a perishable?"!

In the summer, I end up repacking my groceries into the cooler bag, etc. In the winter, I use the cooler bag for things I don't want to get frozen, like lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes.

Back
Top Bottom