"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-03-2011, 03:28 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I am getting really meticulous about the way I set things on the conveyor to make it easier for them, and I am still amazed sometimes.
i purposely put the heaviest, hardest stuff on the belt first, then put more items on so things can be easily and safely bagged so as not to crush or cross contaminate stuff.

they always seem to reach over my perfectly ordered groupings and put eggs under large cans, and dripping packages of chicken over lunch meats and bread, and so on.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #32
Senior Cook

We have loads of the self serve checkouts here in the UK. I use them quite a lot, unless I have loads of stuff, or if I'm buying alcohol, as it takes them ages to come over and ID me. Easier to go the the proper checkout for that.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i purposely put the heaviest, hardest stuff on the belt first, then put more items on so things can be easily and safely bagged so as not to crush or cross contaminate stuff.

they always seem to reach over my perfectly ordered groupings and put eggs under large cans, and dripping packages of chicken over lunch meats and bread, and so on.
At my store, they love to put the heavy cans on top of any chips you buy. By the time you get home, you have a bag of crumbs.
Old 11-03-2011, 04:27 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Wait, hold on, have I missed something? They pack the bags FOR you in the US? Like do they automatically do it, or do they ask you first? Over here they ask us if we need any help with our packing, but they we don't actually have designated people to do it for us. I'm jealous!
Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Supermarkets have baggers. It's automatic.

When SO and I do our weekly shopping, she is in charge of the checkout and bagging process. I have to load the belt with perishables first so they can go in the cooler bag (in the summer) then other items. She supervises the bagging (we have reusable bags) much to the bagger's dismay. 'Put the meat in a separate bag.' 'No more in that bag, it's too heavy.', etc. I keep telling her not to worry about heavy bags as I'm the one who carries them into the house. I should get her a riding crop and monocle.
She told one bagger to put the perishables in the cooler bag and he asked, "What's a perishable?"!
Old 11-03-2011, 11:08 AM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

In the summer, I end up repacking my groceries into the cooler bag, etc. In the winter, I use the cooler bag for things I don't want to get frozen, like lettuce, mushrooms, tomatoes.