The Sick Room

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you to all of you.

I went shopping today. Of course just about everything I wanted to buy, would be on a top shelf. No matter how hard you try, there is no way you can hide the fact that you have only one leg. So instead I made sure that everyone who would get in my way, I was handicapped.

Today we are having a doozy of the snow storm. I got to the supermarket just in time. The store was jammed and there were pallets piled high in every aisle. Spike took one half of the store, and I took the other half. I got finished just in time. My ride pulled up just as I went through the checkout. And I now have my huge green grapes to snack on. I still have to wrap the meats. But that can wait until tonight. Right now I need a nap.

So again, thank you to everyone. I am in good spirits today.

I just read that Jeopardy host Alex Trebek has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He says he is going to fight it, but I know he is going to lose the fight -- and it is not going to be a pretty fight. Not a good way to go out.

"Eat, drink and be merry for $1,000," Alex!

CD

I read that earlier too, Casey. Pancreatic cancer is such a hideous and relentless disease. :cry:

We have a doctor reporter that had comments after they showed Alex giving the news to the public.

According to her, survival rate for this type of cancer is only 4%. I certainly wouldn't want to be the one facing those odds.

Over the years I have never heard of one word of scandal regarding Alex. He was born and raised in Canada. I don't know if any of you ever noticed, but every time a question about Canada comes up, he get a big smile on his face.

I lost my next-door neighbor to pancreatic cancer. He was also diagnosed at stage 4. That seems to be common -- apparently it is not often diagnosed early, as my cancer was.

My hope is that Alex has a good group of family and friends around him, and doctors who will keep him as comfortable as possible. My advice to him would be to quit your diet and exercise routine, and eat good food, and replace the exercise with play. If I were in his position, I'd probably sell my house and most of the stuff in it, and find a beach to spend my remaining days on, eating good, really fresh food.

CD

I just came here to crab about how rough I feel.

Yes, I've seen the doctor and in spite of getting the first of two injections with the new Shingles (Shingrix) vaccine last month, I now have the Shingles. :cry:
It's on the back of my head and neck at the hairline and although the rash doesn't look too serious, the other symptoms that go along with Shingles are really hard to deal with. The most distressing is the needles and pins nerve pain deep into the tissue. This has been going on for almost a week now and I didn't get to the doctor within the first 48 hrs for the antiviral drug to be useful. I also can't even take anything except worthless Tylenol for the pain because because I'm on a blood thinner. Ice packs are somewhat helpful.
We went to a "Pot Store" (California remember) and I bought for the very first time, some Pot gummies and lotion. I'm an X smoker so I'm afraid to smoke the stuff.
Anyway, thanks for listening and any other ideas are most welcome.

Last edited:
I just came here to crab about how rough I feel.

Yes, I've seen the doctor and in spite of getting the first of two injections with the new Shingles (Shingrix) vaccine last month, I now have the Shingles. :cry:
Sorry you got them.. :(

When Jeannie and I reconnected 26 years ago, she came down with them.. Poor baby was miserable our 1st month of dating...

Ross

Aw Kayelle, you have every right to crab. Shingles is just nasty. I'd give you a hug, but that can hurt. I watched both my Mom and our son (who was only a high school freshman at the time) suffer through their bouts. I'm hoping that it skips a generation...

BTW, CBD products are now being recognized as acceptable alternatives to standard medications. In fact, in some cases they provide even more relief with far fewer side effects. Let me know how it works for your shingles pain. I've been thinking about a cream for my fingers - there are days I wake up with pain in my first finger joints and I'd like to find something to make it vamoose.

Last edited:
Oh Kayelle, you have my concern and prayers. I watched my second husband go through a bad bout with them.

One day I mentioned to my doctor that I had never had measles, chicken pox or any of the childhood diseases. "Can I catch the Shingles from some other person that has them?" The next thing there is a nurse standing there beside me with the needle in hand.

Take care of yourself. And remember, prayers are always on the way for you. Here's praying for a quick recovery.

Kayelle, I am so sorry to hear this!

My Mom had then decades ago and now one of my sisters got them 2 months ago and she too had, I think, both shots of the new vaccine. I had the old and the first shot of the new vaccine.

I hope you feel better soon.

Oh no, Kay! :( So sorry to hear this. I hope it runs its course quickly. Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts. :heart:

Back
Top Bottom