"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #2381
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
for us east coast non-spur folks, could someone please explain detachable spurs? are they for looks only? do they get "attached" to anything other than boots?
You should only wear your spurs if you are riding. They should come off before to enter homes or vehicles. They are held on to your boots with leather straps.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #2382
Executive Chef

so, they're more utilitarian than fashion? you sporting some spurs, pf?

Old 05-28-2012, 02:15 PM   #2383
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
so, they're more utilitarian than fashion? you sporting some spurs, pf?
I used to, I hung up my spurs about 30 years ago when I gave up riding competitions.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #2384
Executive Chef

you sure got a lot of layers to you, pf. good luck on the job for the weeks to come--you are a born leader, pf, with an individualistic spur!
Old 05-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #2385
Head Chef

Quote:
you sure got a lot of layers to you, pf. good luck on the job for the weeks to come--you are a born leader, pf, with an individualistic spur!
+1
Old 05-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #2386
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I did have fun growing up and parents who let me explore.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:30 PM   #2387
Chef Extraordinaire

i feel like blowing up at&t. i spent an hour trying to get my password reset so i can pay my bill on line. i did it for five years without a hitch. three months ago it went nuts. i would give up and call and pay my bill. last month i told them, forget it send me a paper bill. got a call today, bill over due. never got a paper bill and since i can't access my account on line. i had no bill as far as i was concerned.

then after call today, thought i will try on line again.after several totally inept employees, was told it was reset. here is the kicker, it is not fixed. i could barely understand the techs. and they could not understand me, obviously they didn't understand me since it is not right.

i am waiting until my impulse to use the f word fades and will try to go higher up the chain. unemployment is high, give them the jobs that are now in other countries. all of this literally gave me heartburn. grrrrrrrr.
Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #2388
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I hate when the folks at tech sup or customer service can hardly speak English and you can't understand what they are saying.
Old 06-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #2389
Chef Extraordinaire

I no longer feel that I need to be polite to someone in another country doing a job that is needed so desperately in this country. When I get such a person, I tell them immediately that I can't understand a word they are speaking. Then I ask if there is anyone there that can speak American Eglish that I could possibley understand. I refuse to even make an effort to understnd them. Most of these folks are in India. They not only have an Indian accent that you can't understand, but it is a Queen's English mixed in. A carryover from when India was ruled by England. So you are fighting to understand two accents.

If I can't get results there, I then call the company headquarters in this country. If enough of us call the headquarters and let them know that we can't understnd the people who man their customer support phones, perhaps they will bring back the jobs to this country. I also let headquarters know that I am very unhappy with their customer support and I will never purchase one of their products again.I l will also spread the word to all my friends and fellow employees at work. (They don't need to know I no longer work.) When it comes to customer support in another country, then my days of being polite are done.

I admit thatI am old and crochety, running short with patience. But I am a American and wish to be served by people who speak my language. American English! Bring the jobs back here where they are so desperately needed and at a living wage. I am a label reader. I look for the "Made in America" label. I am willing to pay a higher price if necessary. And I expect to be served by Americans who can speak English.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:25 AM   #2390
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
I no longer feel that I need to be polite to someone in another country doing a job that is needed so desperately in this country. When I get such a person, I tell them immediately that I can't understand a word they are speaking. Then I ask if there is anyone there that can speak American Eglish that I could possibley understand. I refuse to even make an effort to understnd them. Most of these folks are in India. They not only have an Indian accent that you can't understand, but it is a Queen's English mixed in. A carryover from when India was ruled by England. So you are fighting to understand two accents.

If I can't get results there, I then call the company headquarters in this country. If enough of us call the headquarters and let them know that we can't understnd the people who man their customer support phones, perhaps they will bring back the jobs to this country. I also let headquarters know that I am very unhappy with their customer support and I will never purchase one of their products again.I l will also spread the word to all my friends and fellow employees at work. (They don't need to know I no longer work.) When it comes to customer support in another country, then my days of being polite are done.

I admit thatI am old and crochety, running short with patience. But I am a American and wish to be served by people who speak my language. American English! Bring the jobs back here where they are so desperately needed and at a living wage. I am a label reader. I look for the "Made in America" label. I am willing to pay a higher price if necessary. And I expect to be served by Americans who can speak English.
I agree. If it was a job picking fruit or something (which most people don't want to do) I wouldn't be so quick to agree, but providing customer service is a decent, usually well paying job. Go Addie!