"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-12-2011, 08:03 AM   #801
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I keep trying to teach my mom how to use a cell phone, she refuses. She thinks the lifeline neck thing is stupid and refuses to even think about it. Totally computer illiterate. ARGHH!

Thanks
Have you looked into one of those Jitterbug phones? They are supposed to be extremely simple to use and are made for seniors. Don't have the bells and whistles regular cell phones do and have BIG #s so they are easy to see.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #802
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Stubbs
Its frustrating when your kids don't learn from what wrong they've done. For they did it again this morning.

Old 06-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #803
Chef Extraordinaire

We got my mother one of those lifeline devices. She kept it for two months and then cancelled the contract (my father didn't like it). That was three years ago. I love the medication alarm! I am going to order one and have it sent to their house (schedule it to arrive when I'm doing my rotation of eldercare in August). My father is complaining about having to do all the things my mom used to do...cooking, groceries, balancing the chequebook. She still does the laundry. Slowly, he's coming to realize that it isn't going to get easier, it will get harder. He may revisit his refusal to do Meals on Wheels if he has to keep cooking...
Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #804
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
We got my mother one of those lifeline devices. She kept it for two months and then cancelled the contract (my father didn't like it). That was three years ago. I love the medication alarm! I am going to order one and have it sent to their house (schedule it to arrive when I'm doing my rotation of eldercare in August). My father is complaining about having to do all the things my mom used to do...cooking, groceries, balancing the chequebook. She still does the laundry. Slowly, he's coming to realize that it isn't going to get easier, it will get harder. He may revisit his refusal to do Meals on Wheels if he has to keep cooking...
It's important that he sees these as tools to use, not charity or "babysitting"...he is much more likely to use them. I know he really hates the idea of Meals on Wheels, but it's a tool for HIS convenience.

I'm glad I remembered the Med Clock. Here is a link to other catalogs: Activities of Daily Living Products: All Types / Family Village
Old 06-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #805
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSoMD View Post
I know it is frustrating. I went through the same thing with my Mom this past fall/winter. It was hard being 500+ miles away and my Sister lives in the same town and see's my Mom at least once a week. Mom just didn't want to tell anyone was was going on. It was by luck that we found out abut things.

We had to start looking at it like taking care of a child. Yelling doesn't help, as much as it makes us feel better, and talking reason is a 50/50 proposition.

We started "double teaming" her after her surgery.. are you doing this? Did you take that. Asking lots of questions and making sure she we WE were talking to each other and she wasn't going to get away with anything this time.
It took my Grandmother being arrested for reckless driving before we found out how bad she was. And her daughters (Mom and my Aunts) saw her on a weekly basis. Turns out grandma knew how to get to work, the gas station and the grocery store, she couldn't get across town to renew her drivers license or car plates. She had also forgotten how to pay bills, all the envelopes had checks in them, addressed and stamped, but she couldn't find the outgoing mailbox.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:18 PM   #806
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Yikes! That is so sad. My mom has all her marbles, but is so feeble. I told her to get in her car and drive to her mailbox (about 20 feet from the garage) in the winter to pick up her mail, rather than risk her walking to it and having another fall. I have offered the Jitterbug, she refuses. Will look into getting her new phone landlines, as the problem was with landlines not working and not being able to get ahold of her.

Blessings to all of you who work with the elderly! Sucks getting old!
Old 06-12-2011, 06:42 PM   #807
Chef Extraordinaire

My mom had dementia it came on slowly but it was so hard to not get angry with the constatnt repeating of asking a question, the calling on the phone for me and leaving the same message over andover. She missed my dad so much they were so close and as one that she became dazed with missing him. I miss them both so much but I know they are together and the love is still going strong.Bless all of you who are dealing with parents who are slipping, enjoy the time you have left with them knowing you
kadesma
Old 06-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #808
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Dementia is a thief, it steals memories, it steals our parents from us and worst of all it steals us from them. We get angry, because it scares us and we wonder if it will happen to us.

I hate seeing what it does to families. But, I love my job and I can't imagine doing anything else.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #809
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Stubbs
Princess I agree not only have I had to deal with it with my great-grandpa plus with working as a CNA for awhile. So I pray for all those who deal with this.
Old 06-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #810
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Dementia is a thief, it steals memories, it steals our parents from us and worst of all it steals us from them. We get angry, because it scares us and we wonder if it will happen to us.

I hate seeing what it does to families. But, I love my job and I can't imagine doing anything else.
It is a thief. My grandfather fell to it the night my grandmother passed. He just shut down and got worse till he passed as well. It was so scary to see him just change before my eyes. Then mama got it at 88 and never rgained her right mind. Will it happen to me as well? The thought terrifies me. But with all the other things I have to endure I guess I should not let it bother me, but it does.
kadesl