"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #10311
Chef Extraordinaire

It is a lovely cold morning here, I am staying in today as I was out and about most of the day yesterday shopping! I got a few nice clothes and some bits and pieces and a couple of new electric toothbrushes, they are great!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #10312
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm watching the turkey vultures gather on the RR tracks.
I'm contemplating checking it out...

Old 04-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #10313
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
I'm trying to get used to my new eyeglasses. They came yesterday. I only wore them for a short while yesterday. Today it's been all day long. I even drove with them on this morning.

Amazing how much crisper and clearer I can see. I wear the no line bi-focals and that's where it always takes me a while to settle in.

Everything looks like it's in a dip or a scoop when I look partway down. I remember this happening last time too.

I wish we could just put on the new ones and not have to adjust .. but then new shoes take time sometimes too.
I know how you feel. The first pair of bifocals I had, I went down a whole flight of stairs. Fortunately I wasn't hurt, got up and immediatly misstepped off the curb as I went to get into the car. The next day I went back to the doctor's and got new prescriptions for separate pairs. Have never tried bi's since. Except now I need a separate pair for the reading ones. I can see the computer very clearly with the pair I have now, but I can't read or do any sewing with them. I have to hold a book or newpaper way beyond arms length to be able to read. I have an appointment tomorrow for a new pair just for reading and close work. So I will have three pairs. One will sit at the computer all the time. One will hang off the top of my shirt and one will be on my face.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #10314
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Being annoyed with Beagle. She's taken to adding wild turkeys to "stuff that must be barked at incessantly". The previous list included deer, coyotes, foxes, and the extremely dangerous neighborhood cats. We also have a few rabbits, Beagle's natural prey, and she watches them for hours from her perch on the couch, quivering and silent the whole time.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #10315
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Being annoyed with Beagle. She's taken to adding wild turkeys to "stuff that must be barked at incessantly". The previous list included deer, coyotes, foxes, and the extremely dangerous neighborhood cats. We also have a few rabbits, Beagle's natural prey, and she watches them for hours from her perch on the couch, quivering and silent the whole time.
He better watch out for Thumper. I hear he has vicious kick.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #10316
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post

He better watch out for Thumper. I hear he has vicious kick.
Bunnys are outside, beagle is inside. No kick risk.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #10317
Executive Chef

Quote:
She is a beagle. You do know that she was born to bark.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #10318
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post

She is a beagle. You do know that she was born to bark.
We had her for 2 years before she ever barked. Pound puppy, and probably puppy mill mama. She's making up for it now. She's usually very calm.

My male cocker did the same years ago, no bark for a couple years, but when he discovered he could bark, he did!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #10319
Executive Chef

Quote:
We had her for 2 years before she ever barked. Pound puppy, and probably puppy mill mama. She's making up for it now.
Good to know that she is settled in and feels loved enough to bark. I grew up with a beagle. We sure did love her, and she sure did bark!
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #10320
Chef Extraordinaire

Teddy HATES my next door neighbor. Every time he hears her going in or out he sets up a barking spell that can be heard all over the building while he runs to the door. He wasn't listening to voice commands to stop. So recently I have been getting up and starting to go for him. He stopped immediately. Then after a couple of days I don't even have to take a step. Now all I have to do is stand up and he stays put and just makes a little whimper. I let him win that battle.

I think what made him stop was one night I grab his mouth and held it shut. Scared the heck out of him. He wasn't expecting that. Just like he used to jump up and start barking at Spike. One day Spike caught him in mid air. Again scared to death. That stopped that practice of jumping on folks. Surprise interruption seems to work best on him.