What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks...I am somewhat resigned since it is fairly inevitable, given her age. She is struggling so much now with her body and has done well to reach 94.

I don't know what the rules are in England, but here in this country, not only the patient, but the family has the right to read the family members' chart in full if they so choose to do.

Fortunately for me my youngest son is my medical proxy and a Physician's Assistant. He makes it a point to read my chart in full. It rankles the staff somewhat until he starts talking medical jargon to them. And I have been seen also sitting in my room reading it also. "Can you understand what you are reading?" is the question I get asked all the time. I can understand pretty much most of it. What I am most interested in is my BP and heart rate. Being in the hospital is often very stressful for me. I can't wait to get out and go home. :angel:

I don't know what the rules are in England, but here in this country, not only the patient, but the family has the right to read the family members' chart in full if they so choose to do.

I'm sorry, Addie, but that is not true. HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) provides that medical personnel may communicate medical information only to people specifically designated by the patient in writing in advance. The penalty for violating the act is up to a $10,000 fine and one year in prison.

When I worked at the medical school, all employees - including me, and I had no contact with patients or protected health information - were required to take HIPAA training. Medical facilities take it very seriously. I'm surprised they left your chart in your room. Most large facilities, and even smaller ones, are using electronic medical records now, in part to comply with HIPAA.

Last edited:
I have to say I read my dad's notes on many occasions on his numerous stays in hospital during his latter years. Nobody ever told me off about it, but I did get a few disapproving looks from nurses.

As his daughter (and next of kin) I don't see why I shouldn't have read them. (With or without his written permission - certainly he would have been astonished if he knew I was not allowed to).

Here in BC, and I am sure the rest of Canada, it is much the same. Even though my sister was my Dad's power of attorney, he gave consent to me to communicate with the staff and make decisions on his behalf. This is because I was his primary caregiver for four years and I was around more than my sister and knew his situation better. I usually did include her in any decisions and the ones I did make were things I knew she agreed on. As for reading the chart, it is never left with the patient and depending on the hospital is at the nurses station, on a cart by the rooms the nurse is attending or on the wall by the door outside the room. I was always kept very well informed and didn't need to see it.

Creative, I am sorry to hear the news on your Mom. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Katy, not all families have good relations and patients have the right to decide who knows their most personal details.

creative, I hope I haven't caused you more pain. I'm sorry you're having to go through this. Best wishes to you and your mother.

Last edited:
Thanks for your kind thoughts here. It is not totally inevitable that her death is imminent but the odds now look heavily stacked against a good recovery.

She has done well to get to 94! Last xmas she overcame pneumonia and has previously had 2 strokes and 2 heart attacks and was still standing...(OK so with the help recently of a zimmerframe) i.e. not paralysed! :ohmy:
clap.gif

I had my beautician (AKA DH) trim my hair. It was down to my butt. As I wear it up in the summer, I had no idea it was that long.

Thankfully, DH will work for food, and saved me $30.

Thanks for your kind thoughts here. It is not totally inevitable that her death is imminent but the odds now look heavily stacked against a good recovery.

She has done well to get to 94! Last xmas she overcame pneumonia and has previously had 2 strokes and 2 heart attacks and was still standing...(OK so with the help recently of a zimmerframe) i.e. not paralysed! :ohmy:
clap.gif

So sorry Creative. Best wishes for you and your family. Your Mother is in my thoughts.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your mum, creative. :wub: I understand how hard these times can be, I went through similar with my own mom 3 years ago.

I had my beautician (AKA DH) trim my hair. It was down to my butt. As I wear it up in the summer, I had no idea it was that long.

Thankfully, DH will work for food, and saved me $30.

Wow Dawg...that is some loooong hair! :ohmy: Do you braid it when you go scuba diving in Mexico? Mine was around the middle of my back until I had several inches cut off recently. Still long enough to wear in an upsweep, though. :)

Wow Dawg...that is some loooong hair! :ohmy: Do you braid it when you go scuba diving in Mexico? Mine was around the middle of my back until I had several inches cut off recently. Still long enough to wear in an upsweep, though. :)

Yup, long braid. DH cut off a bit more than I wanted, now it's mid-back, but it's thick and fluffs up well. And he works cheap!

So easy to snorkel with it in a braid, just a quick rinse beachside and we're off again! I love long hair.

Yup, long braid. DH cut off a bit more than I wanted, now it's mid-back, but it's thick and fluffs up well. And he works cheap!

So easy to snorkel with it in a braid, just a quick rinse beachside and we're off again! I love long hair.

Me too, Dawg. As long as mine is still brown and thick I like it long. When it gets gray and thin I'll reconsider. :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom