What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My brother-in-law bought a bread machine when they first came out, but then his wife realized he didn't want to eat the bread...he just liked smelling it baking.

I got my bread machine at a flea market, in the original unopened carton for $25. I used it twice. We see used ones at the Goodwill store all the time. Most of them don't have the instruction booklet with them, but I have found that you can google them and print them out or just save them on your computer for reference.

I have heard of a lot of people who use them just for the prep, then do the actual baking in their oven. I think I might try that...but I still shouldn't be eating the bread. It certainly wouldn't go stale, but my blood sugar would sure go up!

Last edited:
We're going to go sing Christmas carols at a local Mexican watering hole. I may not be in tune, but I'm loud and know all the words.

My Mom bought a bread machine as "our" Christmas present one year. She had a very small kitchen with very little counter space, so I thought it was a ridiculous idea.

We used it 3-4 times a week for years!

It had a timer that you could set that would let you wake up to fresh baking bread. Nice!!

I've come to the conclusion that smokers are the only people who actually take regular breaks...since I quit I have to plan my breaks consciously. Sometimes I even forget lunchtime until it silly late to take it.

In my experience you are correct. Most non smokers in my work don't bother taking their 15 minute breaks, but many of the smokers take theirs and many take extra ones.

My husband recently brought it to my attention that most of the smokers you see outside businesses are women. He thinks that indicates that more smokers are women than men. Either that, or those particular businesses employ more women than men.

What am I doing?

Trying to get back into the "grove" of the holiday. Sunday, Glenn's best friend of eons died and we kinda got the starch knocked out of us. We went to the visitation last night. It was at a funeral home in Paris, TN, which is a slight distance from us. We were both dreading the experience and, as it turned out, it wasn't as nuclear as we'd anticipated. Huge turnout and a very long line of friends to visit with the widow.

Glenn would like the world to think he's a real tough guy and, for the most part, he carries that persona off well. Except he did tear up last night, which I fully expected since he and his friend were so close.

He couldn't bring himself to go to the funeral today and has not been his usual cheerful self. No surprise there. To make matters worse, it's cold, grey, rainy and windy. Not very conducive to a positive attitude.

We'll get back into the swing of things, we've just been thrown a bit of a curve. I feel bad for my sweetheart but he, too, will go on. He's truly my man of steel and velvet.

I'm just relaxin'. It's been a really busy past few days, and I'm ready to kick back and enjoy the Christmas tree and clean kitchen...finally. :)

That sounds like fun! :LOL: Are you going to be in Mexico for Christmas, Dawg?

We're already here, Cheryl! My cleaning lady is taking care of our house back home and watering my plants and feeding Beagle.

I got to sing carols last night with a classically trained opera singer. The band's sax player was from ND and MN, and I met the lady who owns the Morrocan fish tank place that eat the dead skin off your feet! Life can't get any better than this!

Oh, and we've managed to get a few snorkels in!

Last edited:
:LOL: Sounds great! I knew you were already in Mexico, was just wondering if you were going to continue your vacation there through the Christmas holiday season. You probably mentioned somewhere, but I may have missed it! :ermm::LOL:

Enjoy your trip...it sounds amazing, and you are so fortunate to have a trusted person to take care of the homestead while you're away. Hope to see more pics!

Cleaning up after curing 3 lb of gravlaks. The salmon was "killed" this morning after being inspected at the dock, in the sushi fridge for 12 hours. I think it is as safe as that gets.

Carved up the remainder of the ham and put three packages in the freezer, kept enough out for a couple of meals. The bone, gelatin/juices , fat and scraps are bubbling away on the stove.

Yesterday when I made my one egg batch of eggnog I used my stick blender and I was not impressed with the results. I had all of the ingredients so this morning I made a second batch using my old hand held electric mixer and the results were much better, you could almost eat it with a spoon!

Need to condense a few more leftovers and do another sink full of dishes, Christmas 2014 is fading fast! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Getting organized for a day of cooking and cleaning. We have 14 people coming for smorgasbord tomorrow. Yikes! The gravlaks is cured, the breads are made, just have to get going on the cabbage rolls, lefse, and meatballs.

Back
Top Bottom