"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-27-2013, 08:19 PM   #11111
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
LOL! Toast should not cause bleeding gums, specially since I am on a blood thinner. The meatballs were...okay. I hope I get the hang of it soon.
Meatballs in the oven cook rather quickly. You have to keep an eye on them. I always turn them halfway. I also use the residual heat to finish the cooking.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #11112
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
How long and at what temp? By the time it preheats I can have toast from the toaster and it doesn't inflict damage.
I have the super basic TO pictured. Bottom knob is a timer/on/off dial, middle knob sets function - bake, broil/toast etc. Top knob sets temp.

For two slices of frozen bread I set the middle knob to the line between Medium and Dark. I can't imagine that translates directly to your TO.
Attached Images

Old 05-27-2013, 08:39 PM   #11113
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This one preheats before it does anything. It's called a Smart Oven, maybe smarter than me...
Old 05-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #11114
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

DH prefers bread that, when toasted, rips the heck out of my mouth. And if I don't immediately follow up with a Placker, it ain't pretty.

We keep the oral shredder bread in the freezer too.

You guys need to stop talking about TOs. Now I want one too.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 PM   #11115
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
This one preheats before it does anything. It's called a Smart Oven, maybe smarter than me...

While it would be a pain in the butt, if you run a toast cycle empty then immediately put your bread into the preheated oven, it would toast faster with less drying out.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #11116
Chef Extraordinaire

I was sitting here peacefully in my home reading posts and answering some. Then I hear a God awful crash on the highway right next to our building. It sounded like a large truck. We have oil tankers on this highway all the time. So when I hear a crash with that much noise, I get wee bit nervous. It was a car that hit the Median strip curb and the car flipped over and spun around so that it was facing the opposite direction and landed on the Median strip. There is debris for about a quarter of a mile. People rushed over to the car and helped the driver get out. He calmly walked across the highway and sat down on the grass waiting for the police. The backup is forever. It is at times like this that I am glad I don't drive.

Spike was out there walking Teddy. So I got a chance to play with him. He was so excited to see me. There were other folks out with their dogs and he just went crazy. It is a good thing Spike keeps him on the leash at all times.

Three of my daughter's children showed up today. They came to pick up the key for the mausoleum. They stayed for a while, then they went out and bought me an eggplant sandwich with FF. I ate half of it and gave the FF and the other half to Spike. It was too much food for me. They also brought me a beautiful bouquet of mixed flowers. It has five flowers in it. But that is okay. that is five more flowers than I had before they arrived. It was so good to see them. They will be back in three weeks.

So now I am going to try to watch the series on First Ladies of the White House on CSpan.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #11117
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Good gravy, I have enough silver colored chains to encircle the globe at least 3 times. Have no idea what Mom was thinking. Why would anyone need all these necklaces??? One is at least 8 ft long.
My Aunt had some similar to that. I was almost 5' 7" at the time and if I held one necklace over my head it nearly touched the floor. She would wrap it a couple times around her neck and have the loops hang at three different lengths. If I wore it like that I'd probably end up choking myself.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:41 PM   #11118
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

My Aunt had some similar to that. I was almost 5' 7" at the time and if I held one necklace over my head it nearly touched the floor. She would wrap it a couple times around her neck and have the loops hang at three different lengths. If I wore it like that I'd probably end up choking myself.
Mom was under 5'. I'm almost 6'. If Mom wore that necklace, she'd probably step on it, and might have left us much earlier!

She was always annoyed about going through airport checkin, they made her take off her jewelry. It must have accounted for at least 50% of her body weight.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #11119
Master Chef

Quote:
...I'm really hoping Shrek will be apt to use it to fix his meals while I am at work since "I don't see any reason to heat up the entire oven for a meal for myself." Trying to get him to eat healthier is making me crazy.
I've given up on retraining Himself. Now I just tell him if he strokes out he danged well better die 'cuz I won't wipe his drool or change his diaper.

I've had my Cuisinart convection oven/toaster/broiler for about ten years. Once you get the hang of it, and figure out what does best in the regular setting and what does best "convected". Eventually you'll use it for most stuff that's too small to put in the regular oven. I tend to use the rack in the higher of the two positions so that air circulates. Wasn't a good idea the one time I used the toaster oven for homemade bread. It came out with two parallel dents in its top.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:11 PM   #11120
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I've given up on retraining Himself. Now I just tell him if he strokes out he danged well better die 'cuz I won't wipe his drool or change his diaper.

I've had my Cuisinart convection oven/toaster/broiler for about ten years. Once you get the hang of it, and figure out what does best in the regular setting and what does best "convected". Eventually you'll use it for most stuff that's too small to put in the regular oven. I tend to use the rack in the higher of the two positions so that air circulates. Wasn't a good idea the one time I used the toaster oven for homemade bread. It came out with two parallel dents in its top.
I'm a nurse...I'll be able to hire a suitable person (s) to take care of Shrek...

As for the oven, I'm also hoping it won't heat up the apartment so much during the summer. This one has three levels for the rack and 9 settings from toast to warm. Like I mentioned, it may be too smart for me. I still have a microwave with an on/off dial and no cell phone.