"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2013, 11:14 AM   #12461
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
When I bought my first Volvo, I started to see Volvos all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Cars came immediately to mind.
Yeah, I thought of that. I usually notice the names of products so when I see them, I recall they were on TV. But I didn't even know how to pronounce this name until I heard it on TV last night.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #12462
Chef Extraordinaire

When I drive in northern MN, I hardly see any Volvos. However, in my neck of the woods, they are every where. I attribute it to the number of embassies in Ottawa (and the number of used Volvos on the market when the embassy personnel get transferred).

Old 07-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #12463
Master Chef

I'm nursing a headache - thankfully it is going away. The police probably rolled up to the rock concert going on a couple houses away and unplugged the equipment. It's an every-summer event at that house. If it had gone on much longer I was thinking of nursing a stiff drink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I don't know if she needs any help with her mobility when it comes to food. She was lying on her bed behind me and I dropped a piece of watermelon on the other side of me. Before I could reach to pick it up she was there and swallowed it whole. No wonder she has health problems!
Sounds like the "hearing test" my kids' doctor suggested when I said I thought out son might have hearing problems (kids were about 1 1/2). Seems like our son never heard me calling him when he was busy with something. Himself's the same way ALL the time, so it must be a "Guy" thing. The doc suggested I put a dish of M&Ms on the kitchen counter, and when the kids were watching TV I should pick a couple up, then drop them back into the dish. Hmm, the kid could hear THAT sound! Goober didn't have problems with his hearing skills, it was a problem with his listening skills!
Old 07-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #12464
Chef Extraordinaire

Grocery shopping this morning
Old 07-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #12465
Chef Extraordinaire

My laptop got some type of virus, got it in to get it fixed yesterday but it wasn't fixed, Dh picked it up for me but didn't check it. So, back to the store again today, they assured me it would be right tomorrow. It will be nice to get it back. Our 14 yr old daughter & I are sharing dh's computer until then.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:41 PM   #12466
Chef Extraordinaire

The registry on my laptop got corrupted. It is still in the shop...sigh.

I'm trying to get motivated to finish cleaning (trying not do to do "deep cleaning" but rather spot cleaning...so tell me why I feel the oven has to be cleaned NOW?) since I have house guests coming on Friday. Oh vey! I love having friends visit, but I am always so stressed about the house...and how clean it is/isn't. I hope they are coming to see me and not judge my housekeeping habits...I live alone! I don't care if there are bags of dog food in the back entrance because I haven't hauled them to the basement or a couple of boxes marked "Goodwill" that I haven't put in the car, yet. But my house guests might...
Old 07-31-2013, 09:33 PM   #12467
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The registry on my laptop got corrupted. It is still in the shop...sigh.

I'm trying to get motivated to finish cleaning (trying not do to do "deep cleaning" but rather spot cleaning...so tell me why I feel the oven has to be cleaned NOW?) since I have house guests coming on Friday. Oh vey! I love having friends visit, but I am always so stressed about the house...and how clean it is/isn't. I hope they are coming to see me and not judge my housekeeping habits...I live alone! I don't care if there are bags of dog food in the back entrance because I haven't hauled them to the basement or a couple of boxes marked "Goodwill" that I haven't put in the car, yet. But my house guests might...
Unless it makes moving around hard or makes the house uncomfortable, don't worry about it. If your guests care about stuff like that, they would find something else to worry about if it wasn't there.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #12468
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Unless it makes moving around hard or makes the house uncomfortable, don't worry about it. If your guests care about stuff like that, they would find something else to worry about if it wasn't there.
+1. They're coming to see you, not your house.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 PM   #12469
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I just checked my cone flowers. No sleeping bumblebees tonight. There was one yesterday and two the night before.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:13 AM   #12470
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
...I love having friends visit, but I am always so stressed about the house...and how clean it is/isn't. I hope they are coming to see me and not judge my housekeeping habits...
Have they been there before? That is my criteria. If they've seen my house in better shape (because I go crazy and clean like a maniac the first time someone is coming over) and they are now repeat guests I also figure they're coming to see me, not my house. Relax and enjoy the company. If anyone says anything about your housekeeping put them to work. Have a good time with your friends.