"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #13811
Certified Pretend Chef

Watching the Red Sox/Rays playoff game.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:02 PM   #13812
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Getting ready to enter a haunted house at Busch gardens, I hate these things but the trip to the park wouldn't be the same without them!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #13813
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
Good luck with that Pac .. they can be a real nuisance.

Where I grew up we only lived about 3 blocks from the Sacramento River. It was normal after dark activities for everyone to stay off the street simply because we had skunks and river rats that used the streets at that time. We had a fiesty little doxie then and when those critters would enter our back yard she would fight them and kill them. She was always smelling like skunk.

We had 1 skunk who came to our backyard here a couple years ago. He was eating leftovers from the birdfeeders. So we took them down and he went away.
Our nephews girlfriend (roomates) have a skunk for a indoor pet. They had the "stinker" removed. It uses a litter box just like a cat. Strangest thing but it is very calm & tame. Makes a person look twice when you enter the room.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #13814
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So I wake up at 4 a.m. Friday morning. I am not feeling very good. I get my pills together and start to take them. I am really not feel good. I slow down and start to take some deep breaths. Oh dear, I need to call 911. I am in a lot of pain in my left arm and across my chest. I can barely tell the dispatcher the information. Fortunately they have E911 Enhanced. That means my name and location show up on their screen. I have already taken two hits with the liquid nitro. Didn't help one bit. Paramedics arrive. I can get to the buzzer to let them in. Thank God they have oxygen. I can't breath deep enough to get it into me. They do an EKG right there. Not good news. "Adele we have to take you to the Tufts ER. They are the closest and can give you the emergency care you need right away." I am in no condition to argue. Just make this pain stop! They start a line in the ambulance. "Adele on a scale on one to ten, where is the pain?" TEN! They open the line so it is flowing faster. I start to feel a little better. Pain level is down to a seven. They decide I can make it to BMC, which is my hospital. It is only a half mile further.

Everything in there was a whirl. I don't remember much. Twelve hours later they send me up to the floor. I had, had a heart attack. I am fine now.

And I am home. Taking it easy. As Spike is pulling up to the building, there are two fire engines outside the building and the alarm is going off like crazy. Just what I needed. The elevator is on the first floor and out of service except to the fire department and medical personnel. So I sit outside until it is safe to go inside. The woman in #208 had pizza in the oven and fell asleep. She is in her mid 90's. More and more she is losing ground. I hate to say it but she needs to go to an assisted living facility. I am in Apt. #213. You can smell the smoke all over the second floor.

I used to think once I was retired and all the kids were out on their own, I would have a nice quiet serene life. Silly me!
I am so very sorry to hear about your health issues. Will keep you in my prayers.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #13815
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I'm taking a little break right now. I've spent most of the morning working in my studio "de-furring" it. A couple of weeks ago my long-haired sweetheart, Tumble, died suddenly and I've just now felt like doing an extensive fur removal.

He was such a darling and I miss him so much. His (year older) sister, Sally, is totally lost without him. I am thankful she has Bella to help dilute her loneliness and equally glad that they get along well. Introducing a new cat family member into an already established feline family can be a challenge. They're best buds, though.

I think I've finally swept/dust mopped/vacuumed all the loose Tumble fur from all the nooks and crannies. Future vacuuming and sweeping will be less "fluffy."

After I've had a few minutes with my feet up, I'll head back to spend some time with Sally and Bella as I look for a pattern I've put in the proverbial "safe place." Ugh! I hate it when I do that.

Well, it looks like the studio is now the domain of us "girls."

Here's what my pretty, snuggly boy looked like. R.I.P. my sweet Tumble.
Sorry for your loss Katie. It's tough to lose a pet, just like a member of the family. Keeping positive thoughts coming your way. We have 3 cats 1 of them looks exactly like your tumble, his name is furby. They are precious animals with such a personality.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #13816
Master Chef

We have a neighborhood, established in 1886, called Skunk City!

This is the crest from the newspaper!

Old 10-05-2013, 07:36 PM   #13817
Chef Extraordinaire

"Our two scents worth", lol.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:39 PM   #13818
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
"Our two scents worth", lol.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #13819
Chef Extraordinaire

Well I've got a can of cat food in the front yard and one in the side yard. And my million candle power flashlight at the ready. Along with a small .22 carbine with crosshairs that light. Of course, it's also probably a million to one chance I will look out a window when he's there, but it's worth a... err... shot.

In unrelated news, my next door buddy came over today to say his wife saw a bear not a couple miles down the road on a golf course. There were golfers running everywhere. The bear stopped to eat at a squash patch, then meandered off. Kind of odd he'd be living this close and decide to take a midday stroll. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a picture of him.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #13820
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Well I've got a can of cat food in the front yard and one in the side yard. And my million candle power flashlight at the ready. Along with a small .22 carbine with crosshairs that light. Of course, it's also probably a million to one chance I will look out a window when he's there, but it's worth a... err... shot.

In unrelated news, my next door buddy came over today to say his wife saw a bear not a couple miles down the road on a golf course. There were golfers running everywhere. The bear stopped to eat at a squash patch, then meandered off. Kind of odd he'd be living this close and decide to take a midday stroll. Maybe I'll get lucky and get a picture of him.
If that old skunk knew all the work he put you through he would be laughing his tail off!
Are the dogs ready for action?