What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to die! We are getting way too old for having garage sales. [emoji38]

So... today's sales were only $79. Lots of little things, though. We almost got rid of our unwanted sleeper sofa, for free, but the two guys who came to take it couldn't figure out how to fit it through the door. I fear we are going to have to pay to get rid of it... along with the full size office desk, solid oak TV cabinet...

Since everything is already set up, but there are things we didn't get sorted out, crazy me will be doing this again next Friday and Saturday.

I'm going to die! We are getting way too old for having garage sales. [emoji38]

So... today's sales were only $79. Lots of little things, though. We almost got rid of our unwanted sleeper sofa, for free, but the two guys who came to take it couldn't figure out how to fit it through the door. I fear we are going to have to pay to get rid of it... along with the full size office desk, solid oak TV cabinet...

Since everything is already set up, but there are things we didn't get sorted out, crazy me will be doing this again next Friday and Saturday.

We had an oak entertainment center for our old analog TV and component stereo equipment. When we went digital in 2008, it went to the basement until a couple of years ago. We couldn't sell it or give it away so I broke it up into manageable pieces and put it out in the trash.

We had an old oak desk and entertainment unit, a huge one!
When we got rid of the old TV and joined the 21st century,
DH friend came over with his tool set, took everything apart and
loaded it on to trailer and took over to his daughters house and
put it back together again for her.
And then I had to go buy new furniture, awww shucks :LOL:

I have a beautiful oak credenza that I used in my home office for years. I got it at a garage sale, for $10. I had to borrow a friend's van to get it home. So, it cost me most of a tank of gas. I had to drive it from my friend's place, in town, to the 'burbs and back. Seemed only fair to fill up his tank close to his house before dropping it off. When I think about it, I think it was actually my friend who drove the van. He was there, helping get it out of the van and into our house. I have underground parking, but my office is in the basement, on the same level as the garage.

I'm not looking forward to getting rid of it. I definitely don't ever want to move it. I haven't really used it in years, other than as a work surface, since I retired seven years ago.

Ginny, I've been looking for a wand and my ruby slippers for years!
We had an oak entertainment center for our old analog TV and component stereo equipment. When we went digital in 2008, it went to the basement until a couple of years ago. We couldn't sell it or give it away so I broke it up into manageable pieces and put it out in the trash.
We use the top for our flat screen TV, and the interior shelves for the DVD/CD player, amplifier, and turntable. The space for an analog TV has our tower computer. We did use it for the internet until the motherboard blew. Himself never gets around to fixing it. I just want it gone.

I figure we'll have a sledgehammer party to break big things down to small so it's easier to move out of the house. Probably going to need a small dumpster for everything. Everyone else around us has rented a dumpster, some multiple times. I figure we may as well do it once. [emoji38]

Ginny, I've been looking for a wand and my ruby slippers for years!We use the top for our flat screen TV, and the interior shelves for the DVD/CD player, amplifier, and turntable. The space for an analog TV has our tower computer. We did use it for the internet until the motherboard blew. Himself never gets around to fixing it. I just want it gone.

I figure we'll have a sledgehammer party to break big things down to small so it's easier to move out of the house. Probably going to need a small dumpster for everything. Everyone else around us has rented a dumpster, some multiple times. I figure we may as well do it once. [emoji38]

Some cities allow a "Special Pick-up" for trash, once a year...or for move-in or move-out. You might check on that before renting a dumpster. They aren't cheap!

Ginny, I've been looking for a wand and my ruby slippers for years!We use the top for our flat screen TV, and the interior shelves for the DVD/CD player, amplifier, and turntable. The space for an analog TV has our tower computer. We did use it for the internet until the motherboard blew. Himself never gets around to fixing it. I just want it gone.

BAHAHAHAHA!
I love it CG!
A BYOS party :LOL:

Some cities allow a "Special Pick-up" for trash, once a year...or for move-in or move-out. You might check on that before renting a dumpster. They aren't cheap!
We live in a town of 11,000 that does not provide all the services we enjoyed back in Ohio. We are responsible for hiring our own trash collection company. What we can't fit into our 96-gallon cart would require a special pickup - with extra cost for a second guy, and a per-item charge that will cost far more than a dumpster. The rates by us aren't all that bad for dumpsters. I miss being able to put anything on the curb and have it disappear...

We live in a town of 11,000 that does not provide all the services we enjoyed back in Ohio. We are responsible for hiring our own trash collection company. What we can't fit into our 96-gallon cart would require a special pickup - with extra cost for a second guy, and a per-item charge that will cost far more than a dumpster. The rates by us aren't all that bad for dumpsters. I miss being able to put anything on the curb and have it disappear...

When we all moved from Hawaii to Arizona, I had two of the neighbor boys help me with their handcart (I had to clear out TWO households!). We took things out to the curb, little by little and each item magically disappeared.
One mans junk is another mans treasure :LOL:

And the same here in AZ, I made arrangements with our hired trash collection company to come pick up our old-falling-apart patio furniture.
Not long after DH and I put it out on the curb for the following morning, the doorbell rang. It was a neighbor down the street who we did not know asking us if he could pay us for the furniture... "NO! take it!" I called the hired trash company to ask them not to come and credit our account the $50 we had to pre-pay, no problem I was told.
:ROFLMAO:

Back home, if the trash shoppers didn't take stuff before the garbage guys, everything from the curb was picked up, no extra cost. If you were disposing a refrigerator, you needed a sticker to show that the refrigerant had been removed. And you had to remove the valve from a propane tank. Easy peasy - and economical.

I checked back home recently. It's pretty much run the same, except quarterly fees have gone up... like everywhere else.

Last edited:
Back in Kaneohe, our trash was a City & County of Honolulu service, we didn't pay for it, well our high taxes paid for it.:glare:
We also had a free, once a month, "Bulky Item Pick Up" day, just put it out to the curb and it was gone when you got home from work.
The "Rubbish Man" is paid very well, has great benefits, retirement AND they get to pick over all the stuff. They'd clean it up, take it to the swap meet and make money off it :LOL:
At Christmas, on Oahu, everyone puts out a case or 12 pack of some sort of canned beverage... be it Beer or Soda. Separate trucks would be sent out just to pick up their botty! AND they'd sell that too :ROFLMAO:
One of my girl friend's husband was a Rubbish Man ... she didn't have to work! :)

On the farm we had weekly trash pick-up for 1) household, 2) recycle, 3) compost. Each with their own bin (black, blue, brown). They were required as the trucks had those lifter arms. Several times a year there was "big" trash pick-up - but most times, put it at the curb side and it was gone before 5 pm LOL.

Here, in town, they have: 1) household, (one only and not over 50 lbs.!), 2) as many blue recycle boxes as you want (you can 'earn' a gold box for lots of recycle, wha?), 3) Compost.

If you want a big trash pick-up you need to phone the city - they will give you a date (1 maybe 2 weeks away) and there cannot be more than 4 pieces total, plus loose pieces must be tied in bundles of a certain measure.
If you also have more household garbage you phone the city and they will give you stickers that you put on the bags - so the garbage men know it's legit. They do not have trucks with lifters -

Waterdown was absorbed by the City of Hamilton in 2001- and now is a population of almost 800,000! go figure
Edit, forgot to mention the area of my farm had a population of probably 1,000.

Last edited:
Before we made our move from Los Angeles to the PNW, I used Freecycle to clear things out, at my own pace. It was great, especially since I work from home. And in L.A., your bound to find someone that wants what you no longer want.

Here in the PNW, we have Trash Nothing. It works for many things, but certainly not as quickly as in L.A. And there are still things that it is just easier to drop off at the local donations place, rather than coordinate the pick up. And, here, I get a lot of folks from 20, 30 or 40 miles, saying they really want it, but they don't drive or some other excuse, asking for delivery. Come on, free! You come get it. I think my record for someone driving to get it was a Seattle person, but he would pick it up on his drive down to Oregon City. It was a infra-red turkey fryer.

Anyway, I would have needed a lot more dumpsters, without Freecycle!

While my hero husband is out hunting and gathering supper (Chinese) I thought I'd let you all know that, while I am exhausted, I'm $342...richer?

Considering the time spent on everything, I probably made about five bucks an hour. [emoji38]

while my hero husband is out hunting and gathering supper (chinese) i thought i'd let you all know that, while i am exhausted, i'm $342...richer?

Considering the time spent on everything, i probably made about five bucks an hour. [emoji38]

laughs and giggles .jpg

Not quite, Ginny. I already paid for an ad for next week. Just one day, probably Friday. And everything is free. Well, the ad will say to bring a donation for the local food pantry. So, almost free.

Back
Top Bottom