"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #18221
Certified Pretend Chef

Would this work for you?

Chromecast

Old 03-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #18222
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have been known to "inhale" breakfast when I get a bad case of the grumblies.

Old 03-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #18223
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Would this work for you?

Chromecast
hmmm, I'm not sure...
My goal is to make it so that when I am watching a Netflix (or similar) movie on my main TV, I can pick it up in the kitchen, too, or any other TV. I need something to send the programming signal from my PS3 to both TV's... or at least the one TV wirelessly. I was thinking some kind of transmittor that plugs into the HDMI outless of the Playstation and a receiver unit that plugs into the TV. That might do it. I'll have to read the details.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:11 PM   #18224
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post

hmmm, I'm not sure...
My goal is to make it so that when I am watching a Netflix (or similar) movie on my main TV, I can pick it up in the kitchen, too, or any other TV. I need something to send the programming signal from my PS3 to both TV's... or at least the one TV wirelessly. I was thinking some kind of transmittor that plugs into the HDMI outless of the Playstation and a receiver unit that plugs into the TV. That might do it. I'll have to read the details.
DirecTV does that, you can watch the same program from any TV in the house, and pick up where you left off. With internet connection, it will even wash your windows. You can also record 5 shows at a time, and watch them from anywhere in the world. My mind is completely boggled by all this techie stuff. I'm exhausted.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #18225
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
DirecTV does that, you can watch the same program from any TV in the house, and pick up where you left off. With internet connection, it will even wash your windows. You can also record 5 shows at a time, and watch them from anywhere in the world. My mind is completely boggled by all this techie stuff. I'm exhausted.
Your new DTV box will let you stream from Netflix or Amazon and send the signal wirelessly to a different TV?
Old 03-09-2014, 06:30 PM   #18226
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Your new DTV box will let you stream from Netflix or Amazon and send the signal wirelessly to a different TV?
I think so. We'd have to hook up the internet connection to the TVs, and with our country mouse, miserly Verizon share everything plan (that used to be unlimited GB, but no longer, don't even get me started) it should work. I have Amazon Prime, and AFAIK, it will work. No idea as to Netflix, but it should be the same premise.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #18227
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I think so. We'd have to hook up the internet connection to the TVs, and with our country mouse, miserly Verizon share everything plan (that used to be unlimited GB, but no longer, don't even get me started) it should work. I have Amazon Prime, and AFAIK, it will work. No idea as to Netflix, but it should be the same premise.
What do you mean by, Hook up the internet connection?
Connect to WiFi?
Do you have one of those USB gizmos like Andy posted?
How do you hook up an internet connection to a plain jane HDTV of a few years ago?
Old 03-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #18228
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

Connect to WiFi?
How do you hook up an internet connection to a plain jane HDTV of a few years ago?
Our HDTV is a few years old, too. We got the Chromecast Andy mentioned, but only for one TV so far. It works great for Netflix and YouTube videos. Amazon and Google are apparently having a tiff so Amazon Prime doesn't work as well.

When you plug the Chromecast into the TV, it prompts you to install Chromecast software on your tablet or smartphone and connect it to your wifi network. Then you can connect and "cast" whatever videos you can view on your handheld devices onto your TV. And since your progress in a video is "remembered" on the device, you can pick up where you left off on another TV.

If you have a Playstation, I think you'll have more options.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:02 PM   #18229
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Connect to WiFi?
I think it's to connect to WiFi. There's a menu that you pop up on DTV that will allow you to connect. Amazon Prime also has a menu. I have a cobbled-together system I put together consisting of a Verizon USB that I stick into a Cradlepoint router, and plug in a booster, so it makes the whole house wireless. The DTV guy offered to set the wireless DTV up for us, but I declined as Verizon charges an arm and half a leg if you go over their GB limit. I may have to play with it some.

All my TVs are old, one of them over 20 years! I've managed to link them all. The one in the living room I linked to the family room with a kit from the local video store. DTV frowns upon this because they want you to buy another receiver, but I got away with it.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #18230
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Our HDTV is a few years old, too. We got the Chromecast Andy mentioned, but only for one TV so far. It works great for Netflix and YouTube videos. Amazon and Google are apparently having a tiff so Amazon Prime doesn't work as well.

When you plug the Chromecast into the TV, it prompts you to install Chromecast software on your tablet or smartphone and connect it to your wifi network. Then you can connect and "cast" whatever videos you can view on your handheld devices onto your TV. And since your progress in a video is "remembered" on the device, you can pick up where you left off on another TV.

If you have a Playstation, I think you'll have more options.
Cool. Thanks.
For 35 bucks maybe I'll order one.

« Petty Vents | - »