"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-31-2014, 04:14 PM   #20601
Head Chef

Today I again visited my mother in her nursing home (where she is comfortably settled). I have 2 other siblings and so she is frequently visited.

I got her some peaches but they weren't the kind she normally likes, i.e. soft and juicy but still having a pronounced bite to them. I was surprised that she liked them! Her tastes changed after her 2nd stroke and seemed to have again with her growing dementia. She is a sweet, lovely woman of 94 who has overcome 2 strokes, a heart attack and - last xmas - pneumonia!

Old 07-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #20602
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Looks like it's break time for a few of us around here! I'm resting my arms from drying my hair (need to get this mane chopped this fall) before I head out to go to three stores to do the grocery shopping I was able to knock off at one. Danged Family Feud! At least while I'm making the Aldi's run I can also return a pair of jeans to Target and stop at Lowe's. They're all at the same exit of the freeway.

These jeans are the strangest pair I have ever owned. When I bought them they were a nice length - just overly-long enough to allow for a bit of shrinkage. Even though I wash jeans in cold water I swear they shorten up a bit the first few times. Well, this pair grows! What was an inch above the ground is now ready to drag on the ground, even when I wear the exact same pair of shoes each time. Himself suggested I just keep them and roll them. Um Honey? They're bell bottoms! Not gonna work...
I only buy jeans with a bit of elastane/lycra in them. Both for comfort and because they don't seem to shrink. They obviously stretch a bit in wear and then go back when washed but don't shrink as such. But "growing" is weird.

Men don't do "take it back" so don't listen to Himself.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #20603
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Today I again visited my mother in her nursing home (where she is comfortably settled). I have 2 other siblings and so she is frequently visited.

I got her some peaches but they weren't the kind she normally likes, i.e. soft and juicy but still having a pronounced bite to them. I was surprised that she liked them! Her tastes changed after her 2nd stroke and seemed to have again with her growing dementia. She is a sweet, lovely woman of 94 who has overcome 2 strokes, a heart attack and - last xmas - pneumonia!
A very determined woman!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:33 PM   #20604
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that a change of pH of the soil would change the hydrangeas to blue. Thanks for finding the video.
Oddly enough, I'd been looking at hydrangeas earlier in the day.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #20605
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
Thanks Mad Cook....yes I do know about alum sulphate. The thing is it is only sold in huge bags and my bush is quite small. You only need 1 tablespoon of it per year (so the colour change is very slow anyway). Upshot is I am reluctant to buy a big bag of something I only need a small quantity of.

I heard that rusty nails do a similar thing... Have those around the base of the small bush - to no effect.

Anyway, problem now sorted since - as mentioned - now have a lovely bright blue post inbetween the 2 clashing coloured plants.

Thanks for your post though.
Ok. But for anyone else who's interested it's available on Amazon UK (and probably on US Amazon) in 500g packs at a reasonable price.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:51 PM   #20606
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Glad to hear Poo's coming along well and is home.

And Boo to his wife.

Love
MC x
I have given him a couple of days to rest. I will call him tomorrow. He better not be thinking of going back to work yet. Or he might find me on his door step.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:34 PM   #20607
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I cleaned out the fridge and freezer to make plenty of room for tomorrow's grocery goodies.

The counters are clear so I have room for all the bags I have to unpack, so I'm joining the resting crew.

The only thing I have left is to fine tune the grocery lists. I'll go through a list of favorite dishes looking for inspiration, add a few items to the lists, and I'm ready for shopping.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #20608
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I spent all day troubleshooting my internet. Now my tablet and phone are finally back working just as they always have. Verizon was of no help. I figure a local tower or something must have gone down
Old 07-31-2014, 10:58 PM   #20609
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I only buy jeans with a bit of elastane/lycra in them. Both for comfort and because they don't seem to shrink. They obviously stretch a bit in wear and then go back when washed but don't shrink as such. But "growing" is weird.

Men don't do "take it back" so don't listen to Himself.
These jeans did have lycra in them! I dunno what the problem was, but Target took them back with nary an issue.

BTW, when I have to return things to the store I tell Himself we have to go "un-shopping". That way he knows I'm not spending money but getting it back!
Old 08-01-2014, 01:24 AM   #20610
Certified Cake Maniac

I had a nap after lunch today, then a nice visit from the kids and their Mom. They were a little hyper seeing me at home, but were good to not be rough around my "owie". They stayed for just enough time to watch the movie Epic which was very good.

Then I had some soup for dinner and my best friend came and took me to Tim Horton's for an Ice Capp and a little air. Again, not too long a visit.

When I got home, two friends called and talked to me on the phone and then it was time for TB to come home.

I am hoping I get as good a night's sleep tonight as I did last night.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote