"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-23-2014, 08:50 AM   #21671
Master Chef

Just finished cleaning the plant table!

I cut back the ivy plants each fall to prevent them from scorching on the radiator. I always feel bad when I have a large bag of cuttings and no one to pass them along to. I have given cuttings to the neighbors, the super and anyone else that could not outrun me, now they just go into the trash.

I cut the remaining leaf from the Amaryllis and put the pot into the refrigerator to rest for a couple of months. I will take it out around Christmas and see if it will blossom again. Cheap entertainment!

Have any of you had luck getting Amaryllis bulbs to bloom a second year?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #21672
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
That's beautiful, GG! Did you make it? I am working on one for my best friend but it is two different coloured (purple and teal) lacy infinity scarfs put together.
Oh no, Laurie, I haven't crocheted anything since high school. I should think about that, though. I have a friend who knits socks while she watches TV.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #21673
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
When I got up this morning, I remembered why I don't like my hair this short. It looks like heck after being slept on. - my neck is freezing
At least you have a natural wave. Mine just hangs there straight and whimpering unless I spend hours with the hairdryer and tongs.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:53 PM   #21674
Master Chef

You can have ALL my waves, Mad Cook. We weren't friends when I was young, and we aren't going to be friends now. It's funny, but people with straight hair want some curl. I've always wished my curls were optional. That's probably why I like my hair at least chin-length. I could manage to get it to go where I wanted and, like a good doggy, it always stayed put.

At least my hair will grow. The foot I have to mail off will help someone not as fortunate.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #21675
Head Chef

I am a gardener and was running out of soil to pot up plants (don't have a car so buying bags of it from a garden centre not really practical).

Today my next door neighbour dug up their lawn (preparing to cement it over) so I was able to help myself to quite a bit! He even lugged bags of the fresh soil over into my back garden.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:46 PM   #21676
Chef Extraordinaire

creative, are your neighbors yugoslavian or eastern european by any chance?

all of my neighbors of that ilk (i'm surrounded by them) immediately concrete over their small lawns and put up chain link fencing for some reason.

then they brag about how beautiful their mother country is.

i'm waiting for one to put up razor wire.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #21677
Head Chef

Sadly it is a growing trend here in UK to concrete over front gardens. It is implicated as a factor contributing to flooding!

However, the reason why my neighbours are doing this is a more practical one. They would like to bring their car closer to their house since they have a disabled boy.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:56 AM   #21678
Chef Extraordinaire

feeling better now after feeling like an old creep a minute earlier.

my truck was parked all the way down the block because of street sweeping regulations, and as i got in it i heard a girl laughing coming from just across the street.

i looked up and saw a girl that i think is around 18 or 19 taking selfies right in the big picture window on the 2nd floor of the house.

the window was not covered by blinds or drapes in any way, and the room was well lit. i don't think she realized that you could see in because of the mirror effect of a lighted room and it being dark outside.

anyway, as i was about to get in my truck, she removed her shirt taking more selfies in her bra.
then that quickly came off for more selfies.

as i was about to drive away, i looked at the porch of the house the other side of the street where i had parked and noticed 2 or 3 older men sitting on the porch drinking beer and smoking, and enjoying the show. apparently she does this a lot.

so as i pulled away i honked my horn hoping the girl would realize the situation.

i felt like a creepy old man for a few seconds, then realized i'm noting to these old guys.

they even cursed at me in polish as i drove away for ruining their show.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 03:01 AM   #21679
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
feeling better now after feeling like an old creep a minute earlier.

my truck was parked all the way down the block because of street sweeping regulations, and as i got in it i heard a girl laughing coming from just across the street.

i looked up and saw a girl that i think is around 18 or 19 taking selfies right in the big picture window on the 2nd floor of the house.

the window was not covered by blinds or drapes in any way, and the room was well lit. i don't think she realized that you could see in because of the mirror effect of a lighted room and it being dark outside.

anyway, as i was about to get in my truck, she removed her shirt taking more selfies in her bra.
then that quickly came off for more selfies.

as i was about to drive away, i looked at the porch of the house the other side of the street where i had parked and noticed 2 or 3 older men sitting on the porch drinking beer and smoking, and enjoying the show. apparently she does this a lot.

so as i pulled away i honked my horn hoping the girl would realize the situation.

i felt like a creepy old man for a few seconds, then realized i'm noting to these old guys.

they even cursed at me in polish as i drove away for ruining their show.

Did she stop what she was doing? You're not a creepy old man. You are the neighborhood kill joy!
Old 10-25-2014, 01:42 PM   #21680
Master Chef

It seems every time my DH uses the pepper shaker he starts to sneeze, so I decided to put the salt and pepper in the same shaker. I used 3 part salt to 1 part pepper. Well, it works out great for him. He used it last night for supper and said what a great idea.