"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #21991
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
...Besides, if you plan it all, your loved ones HAVE to "plant" you in your gardening clothes with a trowel in your hand if your directives say so.
Sadly not true. When you die, your remains become the property of the family and they can ignore your wishes if they choose to.

Old 12-17-2014, 04:49 PM   #21992
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sadly not true. When you die, your remains become the property of the family and they can ignore your wishes if they choose to.
That depends on the state: Who Has the Right to Make Decisions About Your Funeral?

Old 12-17-2014, 04:56 PM   #21993
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I should have realized there would be differences by state. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #21994
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, lets see. I am now only 4'7.5" tall. Fold my body in half and I can fit in a large lawn green bag. Put me on the curb on trash day. Give the garbage men a small tip. After all I don't weigh very much.

Now does this post act as a document of my wishes?
Old 12-17-2014, 06:05 PM   #21995
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Just finished spending most of my day in my studio making Christmas goodies. About to complete two doll bed mattresses, pillows, blankets, dust ruffles, etc.

I bought the doll beds at Goodwill several months ago. $3 for the pair, which can also be stacked to become bunk beds. As far as I can tell, they date to about the '60s and are made of wood.

The headboards have Jack Be Nimble and Little BoPeep stenciled on them and are adorable. I repainted the rest of the bed a very pale pink. One of them was painted a gastric, yes, gastric blue-green; the other one was almost a glow-in-the-dark purple. Yuck!

The beds will be gifted to two sisters, who are the 3-yr. old and 5-yr old daughters of Glenn's youngest daughter. They're very "girly" so the pink will be perfect, along with the frou-frou ruffly trim on the mattresses and pillows.

I also applied the name of each girl on the bed that will be hers. At those ages, there's a lot of "mine" and "yours" that goes on and, since the beds look identical, I thought the names will reduce the squabble factor.

I'm having a ball and can't wait to get back to the studio tomorrow.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #21996
Chef Extraordinaire

There is something so satisfying about working with your hands. The beds sound adorable.

Okay. Don't anyone yell at me. I went downstairs to wait for my ride to the hospital. The nurse made the appointment, but she failed to let the front desk know about it so they could make the arrangements for transportation. My ride never arrived. So I never made it to my appointment with my cardio doctor. This time it wasn't my fault. I intend to file a former complaint. They really need to work on their communication skills.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #21997
Executive Chef

Katie, the doll beds sound adorable. So nice to receive a gift that had so much thought and work put into it. They will love them.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #21998
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
Addie, since winter is now here, use The Ride when you need it, and in the spring you may be able to sign up for it agan. The people making the decisions don't know what your condition allows you to do.

Both DH and I take the same blood pressure meds. White pills. One time they switched us to a different manufacturer, pink pills. Both of us had our blood pressure go sky high. I don't know if the dye in the pills made the difference, but they had to put a comment in our files that we are only to receive the white pills.

If something ever happens to me, DH is in deep trouble. I handle everything about ordering his meds. He doesn't even know what he takes. If asked, he says "A big pill and a little pill." When I worked at Medco, we used to get notes from patients that said "I need a refill of my little blue pills." LOL
I make sure that Shrek knows the Brand AND generic names for all his meds. We were working on what they were for, but gave up on that one. I have several older drug books and keep one in his "go to hospital bag" in case he is given something he is not familiar with. I firmly believe that everyone should be as educated as possible about their medications.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:20 AM   #21999
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
first, though -- nice quote, creative.

On reading your comments, CWS, I opened a new document and made a thorough list of useful information. It occurred to me that it would be helpful to me as well if/when I seriously begin to forget things. It runs a couple of pages and lists account/policy names and numbers and the addresses and phone numbers relative to them. At this point I'm still handling the insurance for house, car, dental insurance, etc. but this list could come in very handy one of these days. It should save whoever may be assisting (or cleaning up after) me a lot of time hunting for these details.

Thanks a lot, CW, for the nudge.
Smart, Smart, Smart. Shrek and I both have notebooks with all of that information. I keep them updated.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:56 AM   #22000
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I make sure that Shrek knows the Brand AND generic names for all his meds. We were working on what they were for, but gave up on that one. I have several older drug books and keep one in his "go to hospital bag" in case he is given something he is not familiar with. I firmly believe that everyone should be as educated as possible about their medications.
Anytime I go out on a gurney I just hand the three pages to the paramedic. I know what each one is for, but they are listed in their generic name. I can't pronounce most of them. And when I call the paramedics, I usually am in no condition to carry on a conversation about my meds. Handing them the three pages saves a lot of time. I also carry a copy of them in my purse in case something happens when I am not in my home. I also carry the two cards for the lens I received when I had my eye surgery. I would also carry my medical history, but it is in two "Three D Ring Binders". Way to heavy for me to tote around.