"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-19-2014, 04:04 AM   #22011
Chef Extraordinaire

I came home from my appointment last night with my cardio doctor. I had a bad case of the dry heaves. I thought my poor driver was going to have a heart attack for fear that I was going to barf in his vehicle. Never fear. I only get the dry heaves. I laid down at 7 p.m. and woke up at three this morning. Now I go for my barium test this morning. Oh joy. That's something to look forward to. I just want an answer as to why I have so much trouble swallowing. But I did find out just how much weight I have lost. And even I was surprised.

I am a lot smaller than I was a year ago. I now even have a waistline. Time to go down to a smaller size.

Old 12-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #22012
Chef Extraordinaire

I now have a new curse for my enemies.

"May you have a barium test every day for a month."

That stuff is so nasty!

Old 12-19-2014, 02:08 PM   #22013
Head Chef

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I now have a new curse for my enemies.

"May you have a barium test every day for a month."

That stuff is so nasty!
I read this too fast...I thought it said 'I now have a new curse for my enemas!'
Old 12-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #22014
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Sitting at the tire place. My original intent was to get tires today, but decided to put it off until after Christmas. Today I was checking the tire pressure and broke the valve stem. Now I have to take off the tire, and manage to break off the lug nut. I think that this is my car's way of forcing me to buy it new shoes.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:36 PM   #22015
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I made a one-page Word document with my medical information. Front side has my name, phone number and birth date, doctors' names and contact info, and DH's name and contact information. Below that is a table listing each med, Rx and OTC, dosage and frequency, and what it's for.

Back side has a brief medical history that lists diagnoses with year diagnosed and surgery dates and locations and what it was for. DH also has a copy. I keep a copy in my purse and take an updated copy with me to all medical appointments and hospitalizations. It's saved me a lot of time and aggravation.
OK, GG and PF, thanks -- a meds list plus history is a very good idea, too. I'll do another page. I can hear those little ducks-in-a-row quacking already.
Old 12-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #22016
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm getting things ready for tomorrow afternoon's "bake-a-thon." A friend and her two sons (12 and 10) are coming out to learn how to make knaeckerbrot, divinity, krumkake and some other goodies. We will be using TNT recipes BUT we will also be converting them to recipes using baker's percentages. The older boy is a gifted child and has been researching baker's percentages since I mentioned it to his mom. It is so nice to be able to pass on what my grandma taught me to s/one else. Since we don't have children, I am so glad my friend let's me be part of her sons' lives. She is married to a man from India, so they celebrate his holidays and NA holidays. I'm excited to play in the kitchen with them!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #22017
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

If I have time this year, I want to make divinity, I haven't made it in years!

Years ago, I would burn up mixers making it, now it isn't a problem with the Kitchenaid. I may use my 50's era Dormeyer mixer, the one just like it that belonged to my great grandmother did a great job making divinity.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:25 PM   #22018
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Years ago, I would burn up mixers making it, now it isn't a problem with the Kitchenaid. I may use my 50's era Dormeyer mixer, the one just like it that belonged to my great grandmother did a great job making divinity.
My Grandmother used to make a batch using the liquid from a jar of maraschino cherries for part of the water in the simple syrup and then adding some finely chopped cherries instead of pecans at the end. I always associate that perfumey almond cherry taste with divinity. Food memories are the best!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:29 PM   #22019
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

yum, that sounds delicious!

Old 12-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #22020
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post

Grandma would get her divinity out of her extra freezer. It tasted like sweetened dust, and was probably 8 years old!

We're watching the rain falling here.