"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-31-2015, 05:31 PM   #23291
Chef Extraordinaire

I've disconnected the smoke detectors. I am going to smoke chicken thighs on the stove top. The thighs are marinating now. Hopefully, I won't burn the house done. Where is the fire extinguisher...got it.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:08 PM   #23292
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Your body actually heals better when your pain is kept under control. If you feel that the prescribed dose is too much, talk to your doctor about cutting back. You only need enough to relieve the pain and that amount varies from person to person.

Getting enough sleep is also I'm for healing.
I haven't been prescribed any kind of pain meds.He didn't offer me any anyways,which tells me he's not the kind of Dr that thinks a pill cures everything.My kind of Dr.
He wants to know more before he does anything else.

What I mean about being over dosed before.That was issues I was having with my heart meds.The Dr at the time was ignoring me about the side effects.Dropped him like a hot rock, and the meds to.

Old 05-31-2015, 06:48 PM   #23293
Chef Extraordinaire

I don't believe "a pill cures everything" either and I talk extensively with my doctors about my health issues. We discuss pros and cons and decide together what to do. All I'm saying is you don't have to suffer and pain management is a legitimate, reasonable medical treatment.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:02 AM   #23294
Chef Extraordinaire

I am sitting here listening to the 5:30 a.m. news. They are starting a pilot program in Gloucester. If you are really sincere about wanting to become drug free, turn in your needles and drugs. You will be immediately taken to a hospital to get you over the worst of withdrawal. You are guaranteed to not be arrested. All the needed services have been put in place such as follow-up social workers, jobs, housing, etc. They will do everything they can to get you on your feet.

As someone stated, this is a disease, not always a choice of lifestyle. Certainly you choose to take that drug the first time. But are you strong enough to stand up to peer pressure? Not all young people are. Several young and "old" addicts have joined the program. The only part of the program that comes under scrutiny is if you have a past record for dealing or selling drugs, you are not eligible for this program. The main reason drug addicts turn to selling is in order to support their own habit. They should have sought help first.

I hope it is a tremendous success. Then maybe other communities will follow suit. Our present way of dealing with the drug problem has been a total failure. The problem just gets bigger and bigger.

Alcoholism has for years now been treated as a disease. It took a long time for society to recognize that it is a disease, not a choice. When something is addictive then it becomes a disease. Curing one's self without support is not always possible. You need to have a 'good buddy' there ready to help you through the rough spots.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:30 AM   #23295
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I haven't been prescribed any kind of pain meds.He didn't offer me any anyways,which tells me he's not the kind of Dr that thinks a pill cures everything.My kind of Dr.
He wants to know more before he does anything else.

What I mean about being over dosed before.That was issues I was having with my heart meds.The Dr at the time was ignoring me about the side effects.Dropped him like a hot rock, and the meds to.
I was being over medicated for high blood pressure. I was scheduled to go in for eye surgery and when I went for the pre-op work up, they couldn't get a BP reading on me. I had taken my BP meds just before I left the house. By the time I got to the hospital, they were working at their highest point. I slipped into oblivion. The last thing I heard was "Do we have a crash cart?" I was being prescribed my meds according to my age and not my size and weight. That little incident made it possible for me, my son Poo who is my medical proxy and my doctor to sit down and go over all my meds. A lot of them had been prescribed by a different doctor every time I was admitted to the hospital. So now My Dr. goes over every medicine when I come home from the hospital. If he and my son agree on it, then he writes the order under his drug number. And if he doesn't, then he contacts the doctor who wrote the original script and tell him/her that he is changing it and why. He has even gone so far as to rescind a script that was written in the hospital since I was already on a drug for just such a purpose. No need to duplicate it.

Fortunately I have a child that is in medicine. He and my doctor both believe that as you get up there in years, there is no need for you to be in pain. But if you are young enough, suck it up and go for pain management. Even in these latter years in my life, I still try some pain management ideas I was given. Sometimes they work, sometimes not. Mostly not. At least not for me. Only because no one ever told me about pain management. By the time I heard about it, too late. I did give it a valiant try, to no avail. All that did was make the pain worse. I am prescribed two pills three times a day for chronic pain. If I take one as soon as I feel the pain, I very rarely need the second one. But I do have to take that one three times a day. That leaves me three to take another day when I will need it even more. I do take two at night just before I am settling down for the night. I am guaranteed a painless night's sleep.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:28 AM   #23296
Chef Extraordinaire

There's no reason to wait until an "incident" happens before discussing your meds with your doctor. Every time I see my PCP, GI doctor or surgeon, at check-in I'm given a list of all the meds I'm on according to their records and we go over them. And when I'm admitted to the hospital, same thing - the nurse goes over my meds and medical history with me when I get there and again when I'm discharged. I'm surprised your doctors aren't doing that. It seems like standard medical practice these days.

Pain management includes taking pain killers as needed. So if you're taking meds for pain, you're doing pain management.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:42 AM   #23297
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
There's no reason to wait until an "incident" happens before discussing your meds with your doctor. Every time I see my PCP, GI doctor or surgeon, at check-in I'm given a list of all the meds I'm on according to their records and we go over them. And when I'm admitted to the hospital, same thing - the nurse goes over my meds and medical history with me when I get there and again when I'm discharged. I'm surprised your doctors aren't doing that. It seems like standard medical practice these days.

Pain management includes taking pain killers as needed. So if you're taking meds for pain, you're doing pain management.
I have a complete list of every med and medical device I use on a daily basis. This always travels with me in my purse and is in the computer whereby the hospital has total access. I have discovered over the years, that doctors are reluctant to take the time to look over your medical record as a whole. I find myself all the time, "Didn't you see that in my record?" They don't want to admit that they haven't read the whole thing and mumble something unintelligible and leave to go back and look. They don't take kindly to being found out.

Pain management is also learning to mentally control your pain. Not just with pain meds. For a lot of people, that method works. When Pirate had his rotor cap repaired, because he is a recovering drug addict, he refused pain meds after the surgery. He instead went to "Pain Management" and learned how to think himself out of pain. Along with Tylenol.
Old 06-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #23298
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Pain management is also learning to mentally control your pain. Not just with pain meds. For a lot of people, that method works. When Pirate had his rotor cap repaired, because he is a recovering drug addict, he refused pain meds after the surgery. He instead went to "Pain Management" and learned how to think himself out of pain. Along with Tylenol.
I realize that, which is why I said pain management includes pain meds as needed. It was confusing when you spoke of pain meds and pain management as if they were two different things.
Old 06-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #23299
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I just returned home after my weekly grocery shopping and have my feet up. Where I'm sitting I can see out the front window at one of the many hummingbird feeders we have. I'm being treated to quite a "show." These little critters are zooming and flying about just like TIE fighters in Star Wars. Zip, zoom....in straight lines, shooting like little feathered stars. What a fun sight!!!
Old 06-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #23300
Chef Extraordinaire

Sounds wonderful. Thanks for the smile, Katie