"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #25781
Master Chef

That's tough news about your friend. So nice of you to give up what could have been tomorrow's leftovers. (I didn't mean that mean-spirited, just how you end up with days worth of leftovers, just like I do)

Old 06-23-2016, 10:20 PM   #25782
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Thanks, CG, when I cook, I cook for eight. I can't help myself, it's a sickness. We both get tired of leftovers, then I freeze them.

The United Way dinners are made for four people with really big appetites. Made by nice farm ladies who know how to cook. I was pleased to be able to share half!

Old 06-23-2016, 11:40 PM   #25783
Master Chef

Munky.... thinking of your hubby, and you, with good thoughts and prayers. Hopefully the results will be good ones and these seemingly endless tests will be done and over with.

Dawg...I'm SO sorry to hear of your dear friend. Also hoping your Kindle recovers. My daughter dropped her phone in water a year or so ago, and it took several days in rice, but it lived.
--------------------
I've had a busy afternoon - a little after 8:30 now and ready to relax. The kitchen and bathroom floors have been mopped, laundry done, fridge cleaned, shopping list made out, patio and porch swept, and online bills paid. Whew. Wish I had some ice cream on this hot summer evening but a chocolate chip cookie or two will have to do.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:05 AM   #25784
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks Cheryl. It's rough to see a big strong German who climbs trees while we hand him a running chainsaw on a rope be in so much pain.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:29 AM   #25785
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks Cheryl. It's rough to see a big strong German who climbs trees while we hand him a running chainsaw on a rope be in so much pain.
I can't even imagine...
Old 06-24-2016, 12:48 AM   #25786
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Hard to climb a tree with a running chain saw and a catheter.

It makes me very sad. He's a very strong and sweet man, and DH's best friend.

I did offer to bring him one of his chain saws, he was really interested. This man could put a whole railroad tie on his shoulder, carry it, and position a bunch of them for us.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:17 PM   #25787
Chef Extraordinaire

I placed my Jet order late Thursday night. The first box arrived the next day and was left by the mailboxes. Six people today just had to ask me if I got my package yet. Then early this morning there was another package for me. The woman next door brought it up to me. Two people knocked on my door tonight and asked if I had gotten my package that was downstairs. Now you may think they were just being kind and showing concern. No, not at all. What they really wanted to know was what was in those boxes and where did I get the money for them. Every time I or anyone else gets packages there is a group that are just plain nosey. I go through this every time I have a delivery.

I am not the least upset. In fact I am amused with them and love to play games with them. I now have them thinking I have some anonymous donor who sends me stuff each month. This is the third very large box I have received since March. Actually what I have been ordering is very large sizes of things I need and are taxed in my state. Mainly household items such as a six month supply box of SOS pads. Some new kitchen sponges, etc. My next order will be in August. This game is a lot of fun.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:58 PM   #25788
Master Chef

I just got off FB, looking at the newest list of donations needed for the evacuees of the fire up at Lake Isabella. Will hit the store tomorrow morning before Tyler's baseball game and pick up some bags of pet food, water, and toiletries to take to the donation centers.

The townspeople here are really coming together to provide whatever they can for those poor families who have lost EVERYTHING in the fire. Dozens of families have their horse trailers hooked up to their trucks, ready to go up there and bring horses down here. They can't get there yet until the highway opens back up and it's safe to go up there. The fairgrounds here set up corrals and shelter for the displaced horses.

This fire is the most devastating thing to happen near here in a long time, if ever. Heartbreaking. 30,000 acres and counting are on fire, several communities and neighborhoods are gone, 2 people have died and countless animals have perished.

2 Dead, About 30,000 Acres Burned in Erskine Fire in Lake Isabella; Gov. Brown Issues State of Emergency | KTLA
Old 06-25-2016, 12:11 AM   #25789
Chef Extraordinaire

That fire is really awful, Cheryl. It's great that residents of nearby localities are pitching in like that Best wishes to everyone affected.
Old 06-25-2016, 12:15 AM   #25790
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

That fire is terrible, Cheryl.