What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've cut way back. My soon to be 4 y.o. niece has a birthday just before Christmas, sent her a collection of classic Disney Little Golden books, (Dumbo, Bambi, Snow White, etc.) today. Haven't yet figured out Christmas. Her dad works for a major shopping network and can get just about anything at a significant discount. Then we get stuff for my mom and DH's parents, who don't need "things" anymore, so they get consumables. I was going to send Mom some Lindor Truffles in her care package, but she can't taste them.

Last edited:
Still recovering from my annual Christmas party. House is almost clean. Toilet backed up and spent the wee hours plunging. Fun, fun. But the party was a success and I have a ton of food to bring to our food bank tomorrow!

Sitting here looking at my Christmas list. Happy to say its coming along. The hard thing is trying to figure out what to get my grandson in Paris. Hopefully my DL will come up with an idea pretty soon. I have 20 to buy for, how about you?

I forgot to add that I also have to buy three birthday gifts right before Christmas. One DIL is the 18th, a SIL is the 21 and another DIL is the 23rd. I am just getting them gift certificates.

We've cut way back. My soon to be 4 y.o. niece has a birthday just before Christmas, sent her a collection of classic Disney Little Golden books, (Dumbo, Bambi, Snow White, etc.) today. Haven't yet figured out Christmas. Her dad works for a major shopping network and can get just about anything at a significant discount. Then we get stuff for my mom and DH's parents, who don't need "things" anymore, so they get consumables. I was going to send Mom some Lindor Truffles in her care package, but she can't taste them.

just curious, who is getting one of your jars of bacon jam for xmas, dawg? have you been able to decide on the lucky recipient?:)

vitauta said:
just curious, who is getting one of your jars of bacon jam for xmas, dawg? have you been able to decide on the lucky recipient?:)

I've got a couple foodie friends in mind who wouldn't turn up their noses at such a strange condiment, Vit! Have not yet decided.

I have almost totally given up on buying Christmas gifts. I do go to our small-tourist-town merchants and buy fancy food items and put together a box for my family. Send it to the folks and tell them to share when and wherever they wish (siblings, nieces & nephews, friends). Hubby and I don't do it at all any more, preferring to wait and use the $$ on something the both of us can enjoy. I stopped buying gifts for every relative over a decade ago, and you don't know how freeing it was. Now I go through stores and notice how everyone else is in major depression or anger (watch out in parking lots!). I do drop by a favorite bar owner's place, and she tells me what some family in need wishes for. That is fun shopping. I throw an annual party where I collect for the food bank, and of course talk to the people who run the bank and shop for what they need. This, to me, is fun shopping; that is to say actually buying something for someone who needs it. For years I was trying to figure out what my nearest and dearest wanted when they have all the newest bells & whistles and don't need a darned thing!

Claire said:
I have almost totally given up on buying Christmas gifts. I do go to our small-tourist-town merchants and buy fancy food items and put together a box for my family. Send it to the folks and tell them to share when and wherever they wish (siblings, nieces & nephews, friends). Hubby and I don't do it at all any more, preferring to wait and use the $$ on something the both of us can enjoy. I stopped buying gifts for every relative over a decade ago, and you don't know how freeing it was. Now I go through stores and notice how everyone else is in major depression or anger (watch out in parking lots!). I do drop by a favorite bar owner's place, and she tells me what some family in need wishes for. That is fun shopping. I throw an annual party where I collect for the food bank, and of course talk to the people who run the bank and shop for what they need. This, to me, is fun shopping; that is to say actually buying something for someone who needs it. For years I was trying to figure out what my nearest and dearest wanted when they have all the newest bells & whistles and don't need a darned thing!

Amen, Claire! In the past I bought and/or made gifts for +/- 30 people. The other nieces and nephews are all grown up now, even though time got away from me, and I was sending cash gifts to them into their mid 20’s! DH and I take trips or I get us both some type of electronics. We give to the food banks and Salvation Army. I also help out my cleaning lady.

What a nice thing you do, having a food bank party!

Last edited:
I don't do much Christmas shopping anymore.

A trip to the bank, liquor store, candy shop etc....

The only fun one is for my sister. Each year I keep an eye out for some outrageous item at a flea market or thrift store. It only costs a few dollars and we get a laugh out of it. She does the same for me. Life in the fast lane! :LOL:

I hit the Wish/Angel trees in the stores for kids in need. Shrek and I buy for each other. Everyone else gets Birthday presents, that is spread out through the year and easier to manage and afford.

With my insurance savings today I've been thinking about increasing my Christmas list :angel:

pacanis said:
With my insurance savings today I've been thinking about increasing my Christmas list :angel:

You have my permission to add me.

great granddaughter sighting. gonna watch for couple hours while gd tutors. i love to see my babies. all other things will wait.

kids are gone, we baked cinnamon rolls and colored christmas pictures for the fridge. having a couple ice teas with vodka and then dinner. kids wear me out but i love em. :yum:

babetoo said:
kids are gone, we baked cinnamon rolls and colored christmas pictures for the fridge. having a couple ice teas with vodka and then dinner. kids wear me out but i love em. :yum:

Babe, you deserve that! I'm impressed by your energy!

I will say it is "easy for me to say", since I do not have children. So, obviously no grand-children. This year even my parents cut me off from buying them presents. They just want us to pitch in for OnStar, which makes it almost funny. When it comes to giving money, I often feel like we should all sit in a circle and hand each other a bill -- doesn't matter if it is a $1 or a $100. But it was delightful that one friend who came to contribute to the food bank party also talked to the friend who collects for a poor family and will be giving her a big gift card. So we spread the generousity.

pacanis-claus,

may i have the bushmaster i saw in dunkelberger's last summer? i've been a good boy.

Back
Top Bottom