What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Steep some tea bags, wring them out and put in the fridge. Lay them over your eye once you close it. It sure helped Shrek when he had Bell's Palsy.

Thanks for the advice, I will give the tea bag a try. It is also hard to eat with half of my mouth paralyzed. The last time I had this I was working and they would not give me a work release. Thank goodness this time I am retired and can take care of this at home.

Thanks for the advice, I will give the tea bag a try. It is also hard to eat with half of my mouth paralyzed. The last time I had this I was working and they would not give me a work release. Thank goodness this time I am retired and can take care of this at home.

I fed Shrek a lot of soup and milkshakes with bendy straws. Taking the meds he was better in about four days. Sorry this has hit you again!

I have had a lovely day!

Went to work this morning and then this afternoon when to see mum for a coffee and chat..then did some cross stich and then sat out in the garden enjoying the sunshine :)

Gathering food items from the cupboards and pantry to add to a care package for my daughter. Heading into the city to visit her today. Bought her a wok and will take her shopping to a few specialty stores for ingredients that she can cook in it. I'm thinking oyster sauce, sesame oil, corn starch, cooking wine, soy sauce, chili paste, ginger, etc....

RL, do you think she would be interested in learning how to "velvet" her chicken for use with all these necessaries? Forgive me, whoever posted that technique here on DC, can't credit you, but I've copied & pasted the how-to and plan to try it out soon. I've always enjoyed those moist, tender little chicken pieces when eating Chinese out. Wish I'd learned a long time ago. And she'll have a real wok to work with, thanks to Dad. Lucky girl!

...Forgive me, whoever posted that technique here on DC, can't credit you, but I've copied & pasted the how-to and plan to try it out soon...

Helpful hint. When I copy a recipe or technique from a DC thread I type in the member's name so I'll know who shared it with me.

My daughter can have a nasty personality even when she is not sick. The family is used to it. But this illness has made her even worse. It is time to bring her to a halt. She certainly doesn't treat her girlfriends like she does family. I personally think they removed the little part of her good personality that she did have.

The surgery was in the frontal lobe.

My neighbor next door has three daughters. A couple of times when they were in her apartment, they were screaming so lound I thought she was in danger and almost called the cops. Instead I knocked on the door and asked if every thing was all right. I asked her if she was in any danger of being hurt. It forced them to calm down.

My daughter was acting like them. I won't tolerate that behavior from anyone. No matter what their excuse is. :angel:
Drugs can alter personality. I assume she is on meds, if not, she had anesthesia and that can take some time to get out a system. Peri-menopausal rage comes to mind given her age, although the window closes around 55, she could still be suffering from that combined with the fear, the drugs, etc. Or, she just is lashing out because she thinks that this is so unfair and she's mad at the world.

I am nursing a hangover. I had a rare Saturday night off and went to a friends house for a bbq. Had a few different kinds of beverages. You would think I know better at my age....ugghhh.

Last edited:
Just going to putter around and eventually get the litter box cleaned. Not going to do much else, watching old Westerns on CMT.

Drugs can alter personality. I assume she is on meds, if not, she had anesthesia and that can take some time to get out a system. Peri-menopausal rage comes to mind given her age, although the window closes around 55, she could still be suffering from that combined with the fear, the drugs, etc. Or, she just is lashing out because she thinks that this is so unfair and she's mad at the world.

All of the above. But I refused to be her whipping post. She treats her friends better than her family.

My age and the fact that I am her mother commands respect. My heart is breaking for her. But she has to give some too. She has a long way to go. And if she wants the support of the family, she has a hard lesson to learn. I know I sound mean, but we are all making the journey with her whether she knows it or not. :angel:

I know it sounds stupid, but I have ended every post with the angel for her. I hope that the angel doesn't come for her. :angel:

I'm doing diddley squat, and am headed down to the pool to float around and read Kindle in her waterproof case.

I just got Stirling to help make the screen door sort of cat proof. It has a lock, but when Shreddy gets rambunctious while climbing the screen, he can get it off the track and then the lock doesn't work. This only happens if there is another cat visiting in the yard.

So I ran a wire around the post in the middle of the screen door, attached a locking hook and Stirling put an "eye" in the frame. I had been tying it shut with some fishing wire, but that was a real nuisance.

Attachments

• IMG_3255.jpg
    IMG_3255.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
Helpful hint. When I copy a recipe or technique from a DC thread I type in the member's name so I'll know who shared it with me.

Thanks, Andy. I usually do just that. Should have done my research before I posted. When I checked the recipe in my Recipes file, I found it was Chief Longwind's. He always gives such nice, detailed instructions.

I'm catching up with DC after being cut off for five days due to the power outage and cable being down (because of Isaac).

Thanks!! I really missed being here. The storm was very windy and wet, but our building held up beautifully. Being without power for 99 hours, now that was rough. I'll have to restock my fridge, but that's not bad.

I was wanting to clean out my freezer, so I got my wish there. Is that what they mean, "Be careful what you wish for."?

The storm calmed down over the next couple of days, and then with no power and no wind, it got nasty muggy and hot.

Fortunately we still had plenty of water (cold), so cold showers helped for a few minutes.

What bothered me the most was that once the power was restored, I went to the computer to check in with DC and found that I had no internet. Also, no TV.

I was surprised that it was available when I checked this afternoon. Still no TV, but that may require some time with technical support and I wanted to recharge my phone first as they have a 5 minute wait to talk to a tech.

I left my bedroom window open part way when I went to bed on Tuesday, and woke in the middle of the night to a soaking wet carpet, which is still not totally dry.

I'm running a box fan in hopes that it will help.

A couple of places on my bedroom walls were showing signs of mildew, but I'm controlling that with some spray cleaner with bleach.

It helps that today the humidity is finally a little lower. New Orleans is a damp place, with humidity usually 80-90%. Today is the first day since well before the storm, that there is more blue sky than clouds.

Thanks, Alix. I missed you too. It was so frustrating knowing I had absolutely no way of letting anyone know what was going on. I'm was so happy to find I had Internet back today!

Back
Top Bottom