"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-17-2016, 11:00 AM   #27191
Sous Chef

Went to do morning chores. I got plenty of straw for the ducks and geese in that drafty old barn. What do they do? Lay in the snow. Its zero with -29 wind chill. It is pretty cozy in the barn tho. Cats didn't like them at first but they are dealing with it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1481990381319.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	25861 Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1481989142059.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	25860

Old 12-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #27192
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
Went to do morning chores. I got plenty of straw for the ducks and geese in that drafty old barn. What do they do? Lay in the snow. Its zero with -29 wind chill. It is pretty cozy in the barn tho. Cats didn't like them at first but they are dealing with it.
Attachment 25861 Attachment 25860

Farmer Jon. Your birds are the equivalent of getting your kid an expensive toy, and they just want to play with the box.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #27193
Executive Chef

Either that are they are ready to make a run for it when the door is opened (assuming that is a door of course)
Old 12-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #27194
Certified Cake Maniac

My condolences on your loss, Dragnlaw.

I am battling yet another bug and sinus infection. This comes after a rough 2 hours in the dentist's chair on Wednesday to reconstruct a tooth. It is a temporary fix at best, but all my plan could afford at the moment.

TB was home yesterday with symptoms as well so I was able to sleep most of the day while he took care of his own meals and the fur-kids. I am hoping to do the same today and try to get rid of this thing. I have two very important doctor appointments next week and need my strength.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #27195
Chef Extraordinaire

I received as a Christmas gift a package of French Croissants. They were made in France and flown here to the states.

I took out two figuring I would make a couple of poached eggs. These things are HUGE. You let them thaw out and you can see the yeast is working. But when they hit that hot oven, they explode.

I had a Black and Decker toaster oven as a gift. It died but I kept the tiny tray that came with it. Big enough for two slices of toast. One of these croissants almost filled the tray. Then when I pulled it out from the oven, it was more than twice the size of what I put in there.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #27196
Master Chef

Dragnlaw my heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #27197
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Both of our homes in OH had pull-down steps to the space over the garage, Addie. The unheated space over the garage. We'd keep the kids' gifts in the car trunk until they were sound asleep, them move them up to the crawl "attic". Once we were done shopping for that year, I'd bundle up and head up with tape, scissors, and wrapping paper for both Christmas and birthdays. Lucky all-of-us, their birthday is on December 29. Working one kid at a time, I'd pick out the best and second-best gift, wrap one for Christmas and one for birthday. Then I'd set aside one or two more gifts for birthday, and wrap the rest for Christmas. Two or three of them (we often went for lots of less pricey gifts instead of one big one since that worked for us) would be from "Santa", they were always in a different paper than all the others, they were on the fireplace hearth instead of under the tree, and I had enough of that pattern of wrap to last enough Christmases until they figured out who "Santa" was. Come December 26th, if we had missed a really special gift, we had a couple days to make things right.

I'm sneezing my head off, followed by blowing and wiping my nose off of my face. The smart side of my brain says "Go to bed!" while the obviously bigger side of my brain continues to play on the computer. The time has come for me to say goodnight. Good night! Good night. Good Night. Good...night......
Not only were most of the gifts were from Santa, but one from Mrs. Claus, Donner Blitzen, Rudolph, etc. And of course there was always a present from Mommy and Dad.

One year my oldest four year old daughter asked how come I didn't give her any present. I told her I was so busy on the phone with Santa, I didn't have time to shop. So the next day, I went out and bought both her and Spike a present from Mommy and Daddy. From that day forward, they always got a present marked from me and their father.
Old 12-17-2016, 12:45 PM   #27198
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What are you doing?

Condolences on your loss, dragn.
Old 12-17-2016, 01:03 PM   #27199
Sous Chef

Sorry for your loss Dragn
Old 12-17-2016, 01:04 PM   #27200
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Either that are they are ready to make a run for it when the door is opened (assuming that is a door of course)
Yea Thats a door. I'm sure they are tired of beeing inside.