"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #4031
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Putting my feet up for a few minutes while I wait for a big tray of oven-roasted tomatoes to cool down a bit to process.

While the tomatoes were roasting, I cut and packaged a 10-pound bag of chicken leg/thigh quarters into serving-sized portions and wrapped 3 really nice pieces of beef for Swiss steak. They were super specials at the market yesterday and I couldn't pass them up.

I still have another tray of tomatoes to roast, then I'll have free time to do whatever. I think that "whatever" will be a little nap. For some unknown reason I'm a bit tired today. Guess it could be because Glenn and I got hooked on a movie on TV last night and didn't get to bed until about 1 a.m.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #4032
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
At bedtime, I've been having allergy-type fits with lots of sneezing and a stopped-up nose. So this morning I took the bed apart -- to get at the cat hair on the berber carpet underneath. That's the go-to for the cats on the occasion of a thunderstorm or human visitors. The dog would join them, but the bedrail is too low.

So now that's been well swept, put back together with freshly laundered sheets, and topped with a comforter that's supposed to be for company-only use.

Maybe tonight will be different. Or maybe the culprit is that final evening trip outside with the dog to do her business. Oh, well. It needed doing anyway.
I feel like a slacker.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #4033
Chef Extraordinaire

Hello everyone

I have just got up and enjoying my first coffee for the day

I have grocery shopping to do this morning, then later mum is coming over for a coffee and chat

Hope everyone has a lovely day/night
Old 07-12-2012, 07:33 AM   #4034
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I feel like a slacker.
Oh, Addie. I'd be embarrassed to tell you how long it's been since I last swept under the bed. I could make a new cat with the all the hair I found.

And I still sneezed last night. Phooey.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #4035
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Oh, Addie. I'd be embarrassed to tell you how long it's been since I last swept under the bed. I could make a new cat with the all the hair I found.

I had my pills for the day in my container that I use. I knocked it over and most of them went under the bed. I can't bend over or I will pass out. So they stayed there for two weeks before I could have my son clean them up for me. I am trying to find a way of keeping up with the cleaning without killing myself. I can have a housekeeper come in once a week, but I am still reluctant to admit that I can no longer do it all.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #4036
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:

Could it be dust mites?

Do you know anyone who is signed up with Melaleuca (most, if not all, of their cleaning stuff has tea tree oil in it)? Spraying the mattress with something that has tea tree oil in it would take care of the dust mites.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #4037
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

My Roomba (Hilda Hustomte) sweeps under my bed! I love that part of having a Roomba...
Old 07-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #4038
Chef Extraordinaire

I promised a friend I'd do some mending for her. I have to go see her today, but the last time I tried to use my "fancy-dancy" very expensive sewing machine, the bobbin winder didn't stop when I wound the bobbin and then I couldn't get the machine to engage in the sewing mode. Figured it was because I was tired, trying to sew at night, etc. So, I thought "this should take about 5 minutes to do" (a sun-canopy had two corners that needed sewing). Wrong. Still couldn't get it to engage in sewing mode. Rethreaded it, re-inserted the bobbin, changed the needle, stitch length. Nada. Went on line and found a few posts where the problem was described exactly as I would have described it. Although the machine is "no oiling required" the bobbin winding post DOES need oil. Fortunately, mine isn't seized, but it was stuck in the "bobbin wind" mode. Once I got that fixed, the sewing mode engaged. The sun canopy is fixed, bathing suit is in my bag (she has a pool) and I'm on my way. Gotta love the things you can figure out how to fix/diagnose thanks to the Internet. My thought was a belt might be slipping, so trying the easier fix (and definitely the no-cost fix) was step one. I didn't have to go to step 2 and run out and get a belt, open the machine, etc. This makes two simple fixes (the A/C fan switch and now the bobbin spindle not disengaging).
Old 07-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #4039
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Getting ready to go out to water our veggie container garden. The first of two daily waterings due to the drought here. Then I'll come back in and finish the oven-roasted tomato sauce and get it canned before I make a blueberry pie. That'll be the extent of my strenuous work today.

I need to take things easy the next two weeks because I have been taken off all my arthritis meds until surgery on the 25th. I don't have much of consequence planned for the next two weeks because I know I'll be very uncomfortable and will have little use of my hands. Plus my arthritic right knee will certainly make its presence known.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #4040
Certified Pretend Chef

Just spent a couple of hours reading a legal document for accuracy, grammar, spelling, etc. After lunch I'm going up to the town's first farmers' market of the season. Hoping to score some good fresh veggies.