"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #5531
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Imagine having that bright red uniform walk through your door every night. Here comes Dudley Do Right! Be still my heart. The RCMP are a big hit here when they are on tour doing their routine. Always a sellout. I think Boston, more than anywhere else in the country has the strongest feelings of ties to England. Our Boston accent is the closest to the English accent. We pronouce a lot of our words like the British do. The word 'aunt' is a perfect example. We say 'arnt'. The rest of the country says 'ant'.
Those red jackets are their dress uniforms.

In many communities they are the regular police and dress like regular police.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 AM   #5532
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Those red jackets are their dress uniforms.

In many communities they are the regular police and dress like regular police.
I know. They can play 'dress up' for me any day.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #5533
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
She is going to be on Temodar for the chemo. What else they are giving her I do't know. She finds it hard to talk. Her thought process is all screwed up due to the high doses of steroids she was on in the hospital. She was phased off them this past week. Right now paitence has to be my friend.

Will let you know what is going on with the bathroom problem.
I just looked it up, at least diarrhea is NOT an adverse effect with that chemo.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:51 AM   #5534
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I just looked it up, at least diarrhea is NOT an adverse effect with that chemo.
She starts taking it on Monday. They want her back in the hospital for the first week. See how she handles it. She is looking forward to starting on her road to recovery. I don't think she will be so eager next month. Or any month there after. She is worse than me when it comes to taking any medicine on a set schedule. And I am really bad. If she doesn't cooperate, they will haul her in and have her doing the chemo with an IV drip. Her husband has been in remission from Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma for more than five years now. He was in Stage 4 when they found it. They gave him only three months at the most. But they went after it with a vengeance. So he knows what she is in for. And so does she. She took family leave for more than six months and was at his side all the way. Now it is his turn to take care of her. And I know he will. He is scared to death that he will lose her. He teaches welding school two night a week. He has already set up his replacements for when he can't make it. At least he is looking forward.

When Deech was so sick, he had a host of pills that he had to take on certain days at different times. You needed an engineering degree and a Ph.d to keep track of all that he was taking. So I did a spreadsheet on Excel for my daughter so she would know what day and what time to give him different medications. I even color coded each medication with the times. Deech to this day says that it was the spreadsheet that kept him alive. I have the feeling I will have to do the same for my daughter.

I am tired. So tired of taking care of everyone else. I thought retirement would mean it was my time. Time to stop worrying about everyone else. Time to do the things I wanted to do for myself. Boy, was I wrong.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #5535
Everymom

Good morning all! The sun is shining (just in time for me to go back to work dang it!) and I've had coffee in bed already. Got a pot of chicken veggie noodle soup on the stove and my laptop revved up.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:39 AM   #5536
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Good morning all! The sun is shining (just in time for me to go back to work dang it!) and I've had coffee in bed already. Got a pot of chicken veggie noodle soup on the stove and my laptop revved up.
Then stay home and enjoy the day. You have my permission if that is all you need.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #5537
Everymom

Quote:
Then stay home and enjoy the day. You have my permission if that is all you need.
Oh Addie I would that I could! Sadly, there are bills to be paid and children's minds to warp mold and shape.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #5538
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Working an overnight shift...they ran out of RN's for the shift tonight. So, I can do my work and just be in the building in case they need an RN. I'm hoping I can stay awake, I was not able to sleep for the most part. How soon we lose our ability to change quickly.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #5539
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Working an overnight shift...they ran out of RN's for the shift tonight. So, I can do my work and just be in the building in case they need an RN. I'm hoping I can stay awake, I was not able to sleep for the most part. How soon we lose our ability to change quickly.
I totally understand about the sleep part. Hope the shift goes well for you!

I just got back from the ENT doctor (ear, nose & throat) about my swallowing problems. He says my neck is tense, my saliva is thick, I have horrible posture, I have a deviated septum in my nose and my vocal chords are raw and swollen. I just looked at him and said "any good news?" He smiled and said "touche!" I like this doctor. He is the one that diagnosed my vertigo problem as an inner ear disorder and gave me treatments and home exercises to keep it under control.

He may have said all those things wrong with me but he is compassionate and to the point at the same time. I even got the scope through my nose down my throat. That is a first to do it on the first try. My breathing techniques from the pain program helped there.

I need a bunch of x-rays and other tests and we will take it from there. I feel someone has finally listened to me on this subject!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #5540
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
LP, having a good doctor with a good attitude is great.

We're about to go get Stirling's RAMQ card (medicare) renewed. Then, we are going for Chinese buffet at Jade Palace.