What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Getting up enough energy to disconnect my useless old DW (that's dishwasher, not dear wife) in preparation for installing a new one later this week.

Was horribly woken up early this morning by reflux...have been in the couch since, online off and on, trying to keep myself upright. Now I have to go do laundry, no choice, I'm out of uniforms.

I just got into collectible guns, but I think it's a big WWII gun used to shoot at airplanes or tanks maybe? No idea where it got it's name. I think I saw it on the Military channel. Like one of those guns with wheels on them.

You should see the beauty I picked up yesterday :) It's about 100 years old and looks like it was made yesterday. The craftsmanship is outstanding.

Thanks, Pacanis. You were right -- see Timothy's website.

Would "Ack-Ack" also describe the sound whenever you bring another gun into the residence? :rolleyes:

Was horribly woken up early this morning by reflux...have been in the couch since, online off and on, trying to keep myself upright. Now I have to go do laundry, no choice, I'm out of uniforms.

There's a pill for that :)
I had to take one the other night after that spaghetti. Something about spaghetti sauces and tacos can give me heartburn four hours after I go to bed.

Yeah, that was a good link, tinlizzie.

tinlizzie said:
Thanks, Pacanis. You were right -- see Timothy's website.

Would "Ack-Ack" also describe the sound whenever you bring another gun into the residence? :rolleyes:

Actually, it's our favorite line from the movie classic, "Mars Attacks!". The aliens have a 2 syllable vocabulary, consisting of "Ack-Ack". We use it frequently.

PrincessFiona60 said:

Oh yuck. Nothing goes better with laundry than reflux. Feel better, PF!

I am trying your Drunken Beans, but with a can of Miller Lite and some canned pintos. Have all the other accoutremonts.

Eyeing the massive piles of vacay laundry to be washed, and nursing a nasty "achoo" cold while stuffing a box of Puffs Plus up my nose. Too wiped out to do much else.

that's how you you can tell you've had a great vacation, dawg--when being home again is a brutal shock, followed by drudgery and misery....(welcome back):)

vitauta said:
that's how you you can tell you've had a great vacation, dawg--when being home again is a brutal shock, followed by drudgery and misery....(welcome back):)

Yes, Vit, drudgery and misery...along with brutal shock. Well put.

Luckily, I had just enough Puffs Plus, Wet Wipes, and Purel on the planes so as to not spread more drudgery and misery to anyone else.

I plan to track down whoever D and M'ed me and sneeze on him/her.

Last edited:
I had an Aunt Viola who loved to crochet. She taught me that. And then I learned to knit from a school teacher. The first thing I ever knitted was a pair of socks. My mother wore them until the day she died. Her feet were always cold. I learned to embroider from my father. He did beautiful work.

I do think you are right. I have always been interested in the arts. No matter what they were. Whether they be crafts or physical like ballet or playing the piano. (Another skill of mine along with playing the trumpet in the school band.)

You can develop the skill. But you have to have an interest in what you want to learn and willing to make mistakes. I have found over the years that doing crafts is a great activity when I am alone. It was difficult to find the time when the kids were young. But as they got older, I was able to start embroidery again. They were surprised that I knew how to do it. They knew I could sew. I mended enough of their clothes. Then when they started to get married, they were asking me to make different things for their home. I embroidered a beautiful clock when my youngest was five. I had major surgery and all I could do for three months was sit and do nothing. (Thank heavens for housekeepers.) My youngest now has the clock and a piece I did called "Bless This House" after I finished the clock. They were both very complicated pieces. He has that also. Then a couple of years ago just after my sister died, I did a picture of a Victorian Inn. There was a sign in the front yard and after you sewed the outline of it, you could put what you wanted on it. I named it after my sister. "Lorrie's B&B. My oldest child has that all framed and mounted. I do have to say that came out beautiful. The other crafts I do, I mostly taught myself. If I saw something I was interested, I would make an attempt at it. Another skill I have is writing. You can tell by my long posts) You have to be proficient in English. The one skill I have never been able to conquer is drawing. I couldn't draw a straight line even if I had a set of 12 rulers. I even took classes. I can't even draw stick figures.

If you really want to learn something, there is always your public library. They have dozens of books on any craft you might be interested in doing. :chef:

you three crafty ladies are so multi-talented and an inspiration!! (babe, katie and addie)...and there are probably a few more like you in our august group of dcers....:):)

Last edited:
Thinking of what to make for dinner, again. It's decidid we're going out for chinese buffet.

There's a pill for that :)
I had to take one the other night after that spaghetti. Something about spaghetti sauces and tacos can give me heartburn four hours after I go to bed.

Yeah, that was a good link, tinlizzie.

I take a pill for it, prescription type...I'm still having an upset stomach, and other things. I think something is coming down with me.

spent a good long while researching what sewing machine, i could afford. finally found one. an automatic button holer was a given or no sale. found at joanne's down the road for me. they are holding it til tomorrow. will pick up then, can hardly wait. kitchen curtains first.

all the crafts i have are self taught, about 30 years ago. addie sounds like an expert knitter, i am not. sewing also self taught. i do o.k. on it. i love decorating , learn a lot , when i worked at hallmark, i learned some rules that work well in home decor. i think i have a good eye for color and designs. fairly good cook, self taught. i absolutely can't do fine needle crafts like addie. makes me crazy. katie you are a whiz. i too have more time, since i retired.

i also like to redo old furniture. lots of interesting pieces, in my white house. maybe all this craft talk should be in" what are you making now." in any case they all give me pleasure.

I'm sitting with a cup of tea, my laptop and an ice pack on my knee. Too much housework and heavy lifting. I rearranged my living room after we took down the tree. It still looks bare. Hmph.

Yes, Vit, drudgery and misery...along with brutal shock. Well put.

Luckily, I had just enough Puffs Plus, Wet Wipes, and Purel on the planes so as not spread more drudgery and misery to anyone else.

I plan to track down whoever D and M'ed me and sneeze on him/her.

iowa is in the spotlight again, dawg. you had to come home for that, right?:)

feel better soon, dawg. and let those puffs plus pamper your sniffles with gentle, soothing aloe caresses....:)

you three crafty ladies are so multi-talented and an inspiration!! (babe, katie and addie)...and there are probably a few more like you in our august group of dcers....:):)

In spite of my craftiness, I have never made anything strictly for myself. My kids or other family members or friends have everything I have ever done. Right now I am in need of an afghan. Old folks are chronically cold. :chef:

For the past several hours I have been stricten with a 24 hour flu that my oldest son passed on to me. He really didn't need to share that with me. I was more concerned with becoming dehydrated. I have taken in at least two gallons of liquids that I know of or can remember. I am finally on the mend and continue to drink lots of liquids. In the past 20 minutes I have managed to drink a half gallon of milk. Now if I could just stop this dang shaking. I am also very tired so I am headed back to bed. :chef:

that's a craft crime of the worst kind, addie! that's like the family of the cobbler having to do without shoes....why haven't you ever crocheted one of your lovely creations to grace your own bed, addie? don't you see that it might seem like an insult for one of your children to gift you with a store-bought afghan? highly inappropriate unless you were to specifically point out a quilt or coverlet that you would like to receive as a gift from one of your family members. your very next project should be an afghan for yourself addie--put yourself first for once, for heaven's sakes! :):)

Back
Top Bottom