"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-09-2012, 06:12 PM   #6061
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

I did temp work for more than 20 years. I loved it. You can't get fired, only released. And in between jobs, I would collect unemployment. Some jobs weren't as temp as I would have liked. But the pay was good. I worked at Wyeth Pharmaceutical for more than three years. Some jobs were fun and some monotonous. I am one of those folks that like filing. I like making order out of chaos. And most files in big companies are a disaster.
I worked far a temp place for a while. I never heard (or thought of) collecting unemployment in-between jobs.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #6062
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
I worked far a temp place for a while. I never heard (or thought of) collecting unemployment in-between jobs.
You temp agency will not fire you. The company only notifies your agency that they no longer need your services. The regular worker returned to work, they filled the position from within, any number of reasons. You are now available for additional assignments. So technically, you are actively seeking employment. One of the conditions of receiving unemployment benefits. You will still have that initial waiting period, but that only happens once in any benefit year. The rest of the time, you can receive a check each week that you don't have an assignment. Your agency is your employer. Not the company they assign you to. I never went without a paycheck. Even if it was an unemployment check. Unless you prove to be totally unsuitable (such as theft) to be placed in an assignment, the agency cannot deny you benefits.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #6063
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

You temp agency will not fire you. The company only notifies your agency that they no longer need your services. The regular worker returned to work, they filled the position from within, any number of reasons. You are now available for additional assignments. So technically, you are actively seeking employment. One of the conditions of receiving unemployment benefits. You will still have that initial waiting period, but that only happens once in any benefit year. The rest of the time, you can receive a check each week that you don't have an assignment. Your agency is your employer. Not the company they assign you to. I never went without a paycheck. Even if it was an unemployment check. Unless you prove to be totally unsuitable (such as theft) to be placed in an assignment, the agency cannot deny you benefits.
I'm kind of ok with the fact that I never filed for unemployment. We made it through those difficult years.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 AM   #6064
Chef Extraordinaire

I have done nothing but relax on the recliner all day today as my shoulder was ever so sore after my body massage yesterday...I am thinking I should not have let her near my recovering shoulder
Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #6065
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I have done nothing but relax on the recliner all day today as my shoulder was ever so sore after my body massage yesterday...I am thinking I should not have let her near my recovering shoulder
Didn't your doctor tell you it would take a while for your shoulder to be completely healed? (If I remember correctly.) Treat that should as if you just had the surgery yesterday. And do that everyday until you get the all clear from your doctor.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #6066
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We just had a magnitude 4.5 mN (3.9 on the Richter scale) earthquake with an epicentre very close to the Island of Montreal. It was at about 20 past midnight EDT. I was afraid something was wrong with my house. I was quite relieved that it was just an earthquake. Earthquake Report (2012-10-10)
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 AM   #6067
Executive Chef

Glad it wasn't any worse and that all is well ;-)
Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 AM   #6068
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
We just had a magnitude 4.5 mN (3.9 on the Richter scale) earthquake with an epicentre very close to the Island of Montreal. It was at about 20 past midnight EDT. I was afraid something was wrong with my house. I was quite relieved that it was just an earthquake. Earthquake Report (2012-10-10)
They must have felt it in Vermont. My granddaughter lives there. Now grant you 3.9 is not that large unless you are at the epicenter, but when you are not used to earthquakes, it can be unsettling.

I was living in Tacoma in May 1980 when Mt. St. Helen erupted. About nine months later she started to rumble again and there was an earthquake located in Centralia, WA. Mt. St. Helen was an inconvenience. The earthquake was not. My kitchen and son's bedroom went in one direction, the liviingroom and my bedroom went the opposite. The next thing, I was looking at the stars. Time to head back to Boston.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:32 AM   #6069
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
They must have felt it in Vermont. My granddaughter lives there. Now grant you 3.9 is not that large unless you are at the epicenter, but when you are not used to earthquakes, it can be unsettling.

I was living in Tacoma in May 1980 when Mt. St. Helen erupted. About nine months later she started to rumble again and there was an earthquake located in Centralia, WA. Mt. St. Helen was an inconvenience. The earthquake was not. My kitchen and son's bedroom went in one direction, the liviingroom and my bedroom went the opposite. The next thing, I was looking at the stars. Time to head back to Boston.
The Richter scale was designed for California. So the mN scale, designed for the type of quakes we get on the East Coast, is what it would feel like if the East Coast quake was in Calif.

I grew up in California. I have felt lots of tremors and I was visiting family during the Northridge quake. I woke up and saw the dining room light swinging and thought, "An earthquake?! I haven't even been here for 24 hours yet."

This one felt very different. It felt like heavy machinery was being dragged across my neighbours floor, upstairs. I live in a townhouse, so my neighbours' houses are attached to mine.

Back in the '60s there was a big earthquake in Mexico City. I felt it in school in the San Fernando Valley (L.A.). None of my classmates did. I said, "It's a big quake, very far away." I looked at the time and watched the news that evening. The quake happened at about the time I felt it.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:02 AM   #6070
Chef Extraordinaire

You know! Even if you have never felt one before. Many, many moons ago, (only 1 kid) my husband and I were watching the baseball game on TV. All of a sudden we felt the room moving. I knew instantly it was an earthquake. Sure enough, later that night it was reported on the news. We have a fault off the coast in the Atlantic. Out by Georges Banks. It was the very first one I experienced.