"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-21-2013, 06:37 PM   #8441
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I am watching the snow come down sideways. I can't see 100' out the window.
Good thing the roads are relatively empty, what with it being a holiday and all.
We're scheduled for 2"-4" ending tomorrow morning. More coming Friday night. As long as Sunday is clear, I'm OK.
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #8442
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I snowblowed again this afternoon and there was literally snow up to just below my knees in my driveway at 5:30. I never should have said anything this morning about no wind and no drifting. Polar opposite (pun intended).
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM   #8443
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
I found a great wok...a slightly smaller one that our last one but that will be better as it is only the 2 of us

Got it for a great price too...it was $49.95 at one store, then it was $69.95 at another, but that one had 40% off the price, so I got it from there for $34.95
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:35 PM   #8444
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We're scheduled for 2"-4" ending tomorrow morning. More coming Friday night. As long as Sunday is clear, I'm OK.
I quickly switched on the weather channel. Saw the radar, didn't like what I was seeing, changed channel quickly.

I have to go out early in the morning again for an appointment at the hospital.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #8445
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,074
Last night I got a strange visitor. Domenic, the resident maintenance man, wanted to know how he would buy a used CPU on line. I have done favors for him in the past on my computer. So we did a quick search on eBay and gave him an idea of what he would have to spend for a used one. I will let him use my email address, but he has to have his own bank account to set up a PayPal account. I am not willing to get into the financial part with my money. He knows that anything I do for any resident here stays confidential. The problem is that he has a heavy Italian accent, so I will have to have him write down all his financial info on ONE piece of paper that I can hand back to him when we are through.

I was really surprised by his request. I didn't even know if he knew how to use a computer. I think he wants one to protect his job. Management is going more and more paperless. And that includes supplies for cleaning this building.

I just have this deep feeling that I am going to regret this. He is going to be haunting me to help him during his learning process. And as a tenant I have no business knowing that stuff.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #8446
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
:0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I found a great wok...a slightly smaller one that our last one but that will be better as it is only the 2 of us

Got it for a great price too...it was $49.95 at one store, then it was $69.95 at another, but that one had 40% off the price, so I got it from there for $34.95

i love a good sale, i even get excited about other people's sales! you seem to have good luck in finding great prices for things, kylie! enjoy your new wok....:)
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:22 PM   #8447
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Thanks so much V...glad that you are as excited as me

I do like to shop around for the best price, it feels good to find the same item cheaper, so love a bargain
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #8448
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And the painting still hasn't been done. I wont be here, so I don't care if the windows are open. It only takes about an hour to get the place heated back up when they are done. It is getting the wall warm again that takes time. I am at this point hoping for two things to happen. Management waits until the very last possible moment to accept a bid and that HUD shows up a week early. I won't do anything to hinder the process, but neither will I cooperate to manangement's advantage.
Be nice. Sometimes that helps in all situations.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:33 AM   #8449
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Last night I got a strange visitor. Domenic, the resident maintenance man, wanted to know how he would buy a used CPU on line. I have done favors for him in the past on my computer. So we did a quick search on eBay and gave him an idea of what he would have to spend for a used one. I will let him use my email address, but he has to have his own bank account to set up a PayPal account. I am not willing to get into the financial part with my money. He knows that anything I do for any resident here stays confidential. The problem is that he has a heavy Italian accent, so I will have to have him write down all his financial info on ONE piece of paper that I can hand back to him when we are through.

I was really surprised by his request. I didn't even know if he knew how to use a computer. I think he wants one to protect his job. Management is going more and more paperless. And that includes supplies for cleaning this building.

I just have this deep feeling that I am going to regret this. He is going to be haunting me to help him during his learning process. And as a tenant I have no business knowing that stuff.
You are allowed to say no if you have a bad feeling about it. Do what you need to do for you.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:52 AM   #8450
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
Be nice. Sometimes that helps in all situations.
I have been as nice as I am going to be. I am living in a haze of pulled out furniture. Even got some chest pains moving the furniture. Stopped that in a hurry. I have taken down all the stuff on the walls, and have everything out of place. I find myself hunting for stuff I need at the moment. I won't say anything, but I am not going to do anything more to help them. They can move all the furniture further away from the walls if need be. And I shouldn't have to ask my kids to do any of this for them. It is not my kids responsibility to take care of their property. Management has known for more than six months that this apartment had to be painted and have some other work done. They have eight days to get it done or face a large fine.

I went down to check my mail earlier. The whole hallway on the first floor has had the carpet removed and they are replacing it with carpt tiles. Now they have to send me via mail 24 hours in advance that they will be entering my apartment to make major repairs and paint. So far it has all been verbal. So if they mail it out tomorrow, (today was a Federal holiday, no mail) I should receive it no later than Friday. That leaves them three days. I can't get a straight answer from anyone as to exactly where the bid process stands or when I can expect to have them paint. So now I will insist that they follow the law. By Mail!
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.