"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #8891
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I am getting ready to go out and do a drive-by / check out a place where I have a job interview next week. I must be crazy. Then get a haircut. I retired early 5 years ago. I must be crazy thinking there are still plenty of people who actually are looking for work. I stumbled on this one by accident. Light office work, some data mgmt part time for a cabinet maker / woodworking company. We'll see....
whiskey, if warm, good luck vibes can be carried aloft on willing wings of promise out of a pure heart of friendship, then you should have your job shortly.
(just don't let them cut off too much around the sides.)

Old 02-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #8892
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
i'm ok. got a good night's sleep for once. i actually have 2 days off this weekend! woohoo! it's been months since i've had 2 consecutive days off.
dw says she feels like she got hit by a truck. i told her to call the place where she got the bad food (broccoli rabe in garlic oil). not necessarily to complain since she's friends with them, but to tell them to check their oil to see if it's gone rancid.
and yeah, we like coca cola for tummy ills, ginger ale for a fever.

you wanna go outsiiiide! outsiiiide! you wanna go out?

good boy... god boyyyyy...

good luck, whisk. what did you do before you retired?
Coca Cola for the stomach, Yeah. I used to get a small bottle of the syrup from the drug store on the corner and give it to my kids when they were sick.

But never water. It is the worst thing you can give someone if they are vomiting. It makes you vomit more. Ginger Ale along with the Coke to get liquids in.

To cleanse the stomach for food poisoning I gave my kids a teaspoon of Ipicac Syrup and plenty of water. It did the job. The more water you drink, the more the Ipicac makes you vomit. But for just vomiting, it was ginger ale and Coke.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:17 PM   #8893
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
I am getting ready to go out and do a drive-by / check out a place where I have a job interview next week. I must be crazy. Then get a haircut. I retired early 5 years ago. I must be crazy thinking there are still plenty of people who actually are looking for work. I stumbled on this one by accident. Light office work, some data mgmt part time for a cabinet maker / woodworking company. We'll see....
Good luck, Whiska! Sounds like a fun job!
Old 02-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #8894
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
It's colder than crap here today but beautifully sunny and I've been spending my time in my studio...playing. So far I have made three pastry cloths to replace the 20+ year old ones that are about to fall apart, then I'm going to do some organizing and, finally, set things up to make some doll clothes. Once that's done, I'll just see how the spirit moves me. My studio is bright and cheerful and, today, wonderfully filled with sunshine. I love being there even on gloomy days. My Glenn was a real sweetheart to have built it for me.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #8895
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
It's colder than crap here today but beautifully sunny and I've been spending my time in my studio...playing. So far I have made three pastry cloths to replace the 20+ year old ones that are about to fall apart, then I'm going to do some organizing and, finally, set things up to make some doll clothes. Once that's done, I'll just see how the spirit moves me. My studio is bright and cheerful and, today, wonderfully filled with sunshine. I love being there even on gloomy days. My Glenn was a real sweetheart to have built it for me.
Sounds like he is a keeper.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #8896
Executive Chef

Thanks for the kind wishes. We all need all the luck we can get.

BT-- I most recently worked in accounting division for an international education publishing company with a local office. Before that I worked 28 years at a large teaching hospital, various depts/ mgmt positions. Started as a nursing assistand & desk clerk in college. Left. came back, forgot to leave again.

Vit-- I gotta get my beard trimmed, it's scraggly and starting to look like my avatar. Scarry. And just a little off the sides is all I need, otherwise the clippers run into bowling ball territory. LOL.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #8897
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post

How do you make a pastry cloth? The only ones I know are stiff and you roll pie dough on them. Mostly I dust a clean counter top w/ flour and that works.

Rattling around this old house, I have special rooms too. Library upstairs. Den/ tv/ music/ reading/ computer room. A soft blanket to curl up with. Two chairs for the cats, although one is usually on my lap, the other stretched across the back of my chair. Where I live the most. And I have a pretty sweet kitchen, which I always appreciate. I keep the living room picked up/ dusted and vacc'd. It's for show. I never go in there.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #8898
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Good luck with the interview Whisk
Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #8899
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a yummy-smelling loaf of banana bread in the oven and just finished typing up a recipe I made up a few weeks ago. It's basically minestrone with some deletions (I can't eat beans, so they're out) and additions (Chianti, green beans). I'm calling it Italian Chicken Stew.

I have this great program called Living Cookbook that makes it easy to import recipes from the Internet or type in my own. It also shows the nutritional value of the recipes; it's fun to use that to tweak things. It amazes me how much Vitamin A there is in tomatoes.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #8900
Chef Extraordinaire

This morning it is so hot YUK!!

We set up a soaker hose out the back along the back fence to water all our plants along there

Also have been trying to clean the steel rings around the burners on our stovetop...it is such a hard job scrubbing them with a scourer

Does anyone know of an easier way?

I have tried a mix of bi carb soda and water, made it into a paste and used that, but that doesnt help a great deal