What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm relaxing after a grocery run. I wanted to make sure we had the essentials if that freezing rain tonight causes power outages. I went to Costco, the health food store, the SAQ, and Canadian Tire. Canadian Tire for some butane for the "Thunder Range", table top, gas cooker.

I hope the "juice" stays on for you tonight taxy. I can hear rain hitting our windows right now, but at last count we were in the upper 30s. I have no plans on leaving the house until Saturday, so it can rain as long as we don't lose power either.

I'm watching the Olympics right now while Himself is watching something else. He won't watch figure skating. I have mixed feelings about it. Still haven't figured out how it's considered a sport, but I do enjoy watching the fluidity of the skaters. Yes they're athletes, but sport? It's not like it's hockey! And: Congrats to the Canadian team!
thumb_canada.gif

I'm watching the Olympics right now while Himself is watching something else. He won't watch figure skating. I have mixed feelings about it. Still haven't figured out how it's considered a sport, but I do enjoy watching the fluidity of the skaters. Yes they're athletes, but sport? It's not like it's hockey! And: Congrats to the Canadian team!
thumb_canada.gif

I have the same problem with luge and skeleton, how is hurtling yourself down a hill at 75+miles per hour "sport"? But sport is is and so must figure skating be considered. I have experience with this.
Not so much mountain hurtling, unless you count a safe and sane blue run with two skinny boards strapped to my feet (I call that "sport) ;). My daughter figured skated for 10 + years, she skated as an individual skater and as a
Member of a Precision Skating team who ultimately made it to the Canadian National Competition one year. I know those girls all felt that skating was a "sport". I know we parents were "sports" for getting up at 4 and 5am to get them to training several days a week. Lol!!
Joking aside it does seem there are some "odd sports" in the Olympics. Take Biathlon, how weird is that?? It's a sport! I actually like watching all of the Olympic events.....but my heart is with all the skating events!

I have the same problem with luge and skeleton, how is hurtling yourself down a hill at 75+miles per hour "sport"? But sport is is and so must figure skating be considered. I have experience with this.
Not so much mountain hurtling, unless you count a safe and sane blue run with two skinny boards strapped to my feet (I call that "sport) ;). My daughter figured skated for 10 + years, she skated as an individual skater and as a
Member of a Precision Skating team who ultimately made it to the Canadian National Competition one year. I know those girls all felt that skating was a "sport". I know we parents were "sports" for getting up at 4 and 5am to get them to training several days a week. Lol!!
Joking aside it does seem there are some "odd sports" in the Olympics. Take Biathlon, how weird is that?? It's a sport! I actually like watching all of the Olympic events.....but my heart is with all the skating events!

I consider figure skating, ice dancing, and synchronized swimming all to be sports. The level of agility, control and stamina is phenominal.

I consider figure skating, ice dancing, and synchronized swimming all to be sports. The level of agility, control and stamina is phenomenal.

I have to agree with you Dawg. You don't just slap on a pair of skates and go blissfully across the ice doing all those jumps and turns. It takes years of practice and dedication of learning. Not to mention the physical aspects needed. You don't see 98 pound girls out there on the ice. :angel:

Ditto here Cat. The nausea is from the anesthetic. A very common reaction. I get the dry heaves all the time. I get them so often, I don't even mind them anymore. All I do is drool when I get them.

I am so glad that you are all right. Can't have our little Kitten sick with worry. I think I feel sorrier for DA than I do you. She had no idea of what was going on. And the nurse was right. She is one tough old lady. God Bless Her. I don't know who the lucky one is. You or her.

:flowers::flowers: (Since I can't send the real thing.) Take care of yourself. In a couple of days you won't even know you had surgery. :angel:

Thank you so very much, Addie. I felt terrible for DA also, because all she could do was hear, and I know it sounded awful for her. But I do know who the lucky one is in this equation; it is I.

I'm very sore today, but I'm very grateful to be sore. I'm sore because I am loved. I'm sore because my parents gave me access to good doctors and good care. I'm sore because an enormous worry was taken away from my family, friends, and me.

I know if I become married someday, I want to adopt children. But I could also become pregnant. I will have healthy breasts for to feed my baby if that happens. This is another reason to be grateful to be sore.

DA and I always have a little talk when I brush her hair at her bedside before we say good night. I told her of these thoughts tonight, and she understood. She said I had an unusual perception of these things, but that she could see why I was grateful.

She did finally tell me she was frightened at what she heard in my room at the hospital, but then she started to laugh! I didn't understand why she was laughing but she said, "Cat, dear, you were so sick and in between all of that, you kept telling me you were fine! Who were you trying to fool? You or me?"

Ha!! I told her I wasn't sure.

But I'm sure I'm the lucky one!

I have the same problem with luge and skeleton, how is hurtling yourself down a hill at 75+miles per hour "sport"?...but my heart is with all the skating events
Your heart is welcome to be with skating. We all like different things. I know my heart is in my throat when those crazies on skis attempt the courses that the snowboarders compete on. :ohmy:

The best description I've heard so far to describe the skeleton? The racer throws themselves head-first on their stomach on top of a cookie sheet and slides down an ice chute at over 80MPH. Nuts!

... My daughter figured skated for 10 + years, she skated as an individual skater and as a Member of a Precision Skating team who ultimately made it to the Canadian National Competition one year.....
That's pretty cool Somebunny! Quite an accomplshment. And yes, sports parents put in grunt work too. We had our share of basketball tournament wake-ups. The first weekend I took muffins and coffee for Himself and me. A few of the other parents sniffed around and looked sad. The next week I took a basket FULL of several types of muffins (all from-scratch) and a pile of napkins. I told the parents they were on their own for coffee. By the third weekend everyone was showing up with travel mug of coffee and hopeful looks on their faces! :LOL: I miss those days. :(

I consider figure skating, ice dancing, and synchronized swimming all to be sports. The level of agility, control and stamina is phenominal.

I have to agree with you Dawg. You don't just slap on a pair of skates and go blissfully across the ice doing all those jumps and turns. It takes years of practice and dedication of learning. Not to mention the physical aspects needed....
Ladies, relax. I never said they weren't athletes. I never said they didn't work hard to achieve their level of performance.
....Still haven't figured out how it's considered a sport, but I do enjoy watching the fluidity of the skaters. Yes they're athletes, but sport? It's not like it's hockey!

There are many other events that are chosen for Olympic competition that seem a little out of place. I guess my idea of an Olympic "sport" is one that is competitive. Neighborhood kids will have races over "I'm faster than you" - "nuh huh" and brothers and sisters have wrestled for millennium, but not too many kids say "I can do a better triple-axle than you" on the neighborhood ice pond. Hockey yes, but not figure skating. And don't get me started on Rhythm Dancing! :ROFLMAO: I guess they have to be creative with the Modern Olympics though. I suppose there wasn't a lot of ice and snow when the ancient games were going on.

Drive carefully and don't overdo it. Don't buy more than you can carry into the house. We do worry about you. :angel:
Addie I drove safe, had someone bring my bags to my van at each store (except the vet because what I bought fit in my purse), and got home just in time for TB to be home and unload. Then I rested a bit before making an easy dinner. I love that you all worry, but I am learning!:)

I'm relaxing after a grocery run. I wanted to make sure we had the essentials if that freezing rain tonight causes power outages. I went to Costco, the health food store, the SAQ, and Canadian Tire. Canadian Tire for some butane for the "Thunder Range", table top, gas cooker.
We have one of those burners. They are great!

The best description I've heard so far to describe the skeleton? The racer throws themselves head-first on their stomach on top of a cookie sheet and slides down an ice chute at over 80MPH. Nuts![/QUOTE]
I could never go down with my face that close to the ice!

Last edited:
I just leaned back in my chair and felt something rub my neck. Monkey is sprawled out over the back of the chair, legs on the front and back and her head hanging over the edge, fast asleep. I didn't even feel her jump up! Violet is curled up at my feet. Nothing like a family gathering! ;)

And of course figure skating has spawned such classic movies such as, Ice Castles, The Cutting Edge and Blades of Glory! :LOL:

Attachments

• blades-of-glory--large-msg-124777214475.jpg
    blades-of-glory--large-msg-124777214475.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 172
As in pig head slippers??? Cool!!! Love pigs.

I love pigs too, PF. My favorite is a stuffed animal that "walks" then stops and wiggles it's curly tail and grunts. LOL

I also have a fridge pig. You put it in the refrigerator and every time you open the door it grunts. Supposed to make you stop eating. Yeah, right!

Ladies, relax. I never said they weren't athletes. I never said they didn't work hard to achieve their level of performance.

There are many other events that are chosen for Olympic competition that seem a little out of place. I guess my idea of an Olympic "sport" is one that is competitive. Neighborhood kids will have races over "I'm faster than you" - "nuh huh" and brothers and sisters have wrestled for millennium, but not too many kids say "I can do a better triple-axle than you" on the neighborhood ice pond. Hockey yes, but not figure skating. And don't get me started on Rhythm Dancing! :ROFLMAO: I guess they have to be creative with the Modern Olympics though. I suppose there wasn't a lot of ice and snow when the ancient games were going on.

There is a difference between Team Sports and Individual Sports. That seems to me, what you folks are getting down to in your Olympic Games Competition. There is plenty of competition on ice that does not Involve teams. Nobody denounces the runners, high jumpers, shot puters in the Summer Games, I also don't hear anything negative about the folks who choose Cross Country Skiing.

Those are all Individual sports, people putting forth their best effort...on their own. Personally, I don't think Team Sports have any place in the Olympics, it should only be the Individual sports.

I love pigs too, PF. My favorite is a stuffed animal that "walks" then stops and wiggles it's curly tail and grunts. LOL

I also have a fridge pig. You put it in the refrigerator and every time you open the door it grunts. Supposed to make you stop eating. Yeah, right!

I have the walking one, too! Not the fridge one, I would have to buy too many batteries for it.

We just got back from a concert. I wasn't sure all week if I would be up to going and even this morning I wasn't feeling great. But I had a nap and was ready to go on time to pock TB up from work.

I stayed in my seat most of the time while others stood and danced, but thankfully we had really good seats and there was no one in front of us.

Now to try and settle mind and body down so I can sleep. Good night all.

Back
Top Bottom