"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #9601
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
We're still carrying a Motorola W755 that we purchased in June 2009. We felt compelled to buy one because pay phones have gone the way of the dinosaur. Over the course of the past 3.75 years, our annualized cost has amounted to less than $150. Since we only carry it for emergencies and our carrier wanted us to supply a social security number for most all of their plans, I opted for the prepaid option and currently have a credit balance of over $350. I do not look forward to having to buy a new battery. Thinking about those with Obamaphones is enough to give me knots in my shorts.
I hadn't heard about the "Obamaphone", so I googled it. There is really no such thing. You might as well call it a "Reagnphone" because the program that allows poor people to have subsidized phones started under Reagan.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #9602
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I hadn't heard about the "Obamaphone", so I googled it. There is really no such thing. You might as well call it a "Reagnphone" because the program that allows poor people to have subsidized phones started under Reagan.
Back in the 1980's our phone bill ran under $12 per month.
To boot there was NO phone in our household prior to 1958.

Old 03-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #9603
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Thanks. It might have been easier if I had seen the doggies, but only might.
I only saw the goggies when their Mom opened the car door, they popped their heads up. It just confirmed my guess.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #9604
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
AU = Gold
ENZ

Goldens, there were two retrievers in the car. Clever, I like figuring out license plates.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #9605
Chef Extraordinaire

I would have thought the people were from Pittsburgh... that whole "you-ins" thing.
Ah, you-ins, stop following so close.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #9606
Executive Chef

Quote:
It's not actually called the Obamaphone. That is a nickname because of the large number of people who are now on food stamps, welfare and Medicaid under this administration, and can qualify for the government funded phones. The free phones given out by the government are funded by the "universal service fund" on our phone bills. You can usually find it on the second page of your bill. The first telephone tax was passed in 1898 to fund the Spanish American War. It stayed on the books in some form until 2006! The Lifeline program ( the free phones) was spearheaded by President Wilson iN 1913. It was expanded by FDR in 1934. It was modernized by President Clinton in 1996.
The cost to those paying their phone bill has increased significantly since 2008 which may be another reason for the nickname. You are right, they are not actually called obamaphones. but...it didn't start with Reagan.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #9607
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
It's not actually called the Obamaphone. That is a nickname because of the large number of people who are now on food stamps, welfare and Medicaid under this administration, and can qualify for the government funded phones. The free phones given out by the government are funded by the "universal service fund" on our phone bills. You can usually find it on the second page of your bill. The first telephone tax was passed in 1898 to fund the Spanish American War. It stayed on the books in some form until 2006! The Lifeline program ( the free phones) was spearheaded by President Wilson iN 1913. It was expanded by FDR in 1934. It was modernized by President Clinton in 1996.
The cost to those paying their phone bill has increased significantly since 2008 which may be another reason for the nickname. You are right, they are not actually called obamaphones. but...it didn't start with Reagan.
Thanks for all the info. I read that there had been something in 1934 to try to give universal access to phones. I didn't realize it went back as far as Wilson in 1913! I got the impression, from my reading, that the current Lifeline program started in the Reagan years.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #9608
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Sitting around and wondering if I want to do anything today or just sit around.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #9609
Chef Extraordinaire

Trying to get my bum in gear to do some grocery shopping.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #9610
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have several boxes of books to take to the used bookstore...but I can do that tomorrow. Laundry needs done, but I have a few days to consider it. I think today will be a bum day...