What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hard on the heels of getting over my injuries from the fall that I had when Horse knocked me over (not his fault) I've had another fall. Turned my ankle on a bit of uneven ground and rather than saving myself as I could have a few years ago I measured my length and bashed myself on the nose and chin. I've been thinking for a while that I needed something in the strength and suppleness line and had a go at pilates and thought about yoga and the Fitness League (formerly Women's League of Health and Beauty) all of which I decided were a no go for me. In addition, it's taking me a lot of effort (PHYSICAL effort - stop laughing at the back!) to get out of bed in the morning.

I have never been a threat to Jane Fonda and was better at skiving off sports than playing them at school. However, in the 1980s I used to go to a Callanetics class and loved it but the girl running it fell ill and gave up and I couldn't find another convenient class. It's very gentle exercise based on stretching and strengthening - very relaxing and very effective - it did what it said on the tin.

Serendipitously I came across a DVD of "Beginning Callanetics" on Amazon last week. Ordered it and it came on Friday. Whoopee! It's a 30 minute "work out" but the DVD runs for nearly an hour so plenty of how to do it properly if you have joint or back probs.

I started it today. Just concentrating on the first three upper body exercises today. It won't shift any weight and it's harder work than when I did it in my 30s, due to stiffness, etc., but do-able and relaxing. I really think I'm going to enjoy it.

My goodness. Have you got accident insurance?

I am sitting here at this stupid computer when I should be cleaning and scrubbing out my three waste baskets. I also need to vacuum my main room and wash the kitchen floor. I was hoping The Pirate would show up last night and I could lay some Mother's Guilt on him so he would at least do the baskets for me. Hmmm. Some Mother's Day.

Tomorrow night I am going to get my hair cut. Compliments of my daughter. My Mother's Day present. She has been on her chemo for the past week and I won't be surprised if she decides she can't go. It takes her at least a week to feel better after her week of chemo.

Well, Happy Mother's Day Ladies. Even for those who were never blessed (or cursed) with children. You probably made a deep impression on some child that will make a difference in their life. :angel:

Hard on the heels of getting over my injuries from the fall that I had when Horse knocked me over (not his fault) I've had another fall. Turned my ankle on a bit of uneven ground and rather than saving myself as I could have a few years ago I measured my length and bashed myself on the nose and chin.

May I suggest a read through this: CDC - Falls Compendium FaME - Older Adult Falls - Home and Recreational Safety - Injury Center

If you are going to fall, getting back up is the main thing. Sorry you had falls and got hurt. I have the tendency to trip over Handicap Ramps or sliding down them and falling.

Trying to get that first cup of coffee in so I can go do laundry.
Thanks for the reminder. I know, it sounds stupid that I would need a reminder about first cup of the morning coffee. I take a pill for osteoporosis on Sunday mornings. I'm not allowed to have anything before or for half an hour after I take the pill. I have to put coffee out of my mind after the danged pill, so once in a while, the half hour is up and I don't remember I can have the coffee. It's hard not to be a bit stupid before that first cup. ;)

I just got back from the grocery store.
I'm going to sit here for a while, then take out the bacon and cream cheese and prepare my ABTs.

Thanks for the reminder. I know, it sounds stupid that I would need a reminder about first cup of the morning coffee. I take a pill for osteoporosis on Sunday mornings. I'm not allowed to have anything before or for half an hour after I take the pill. I have to put coffee out of my mind after the danged pill, so once in a while, the half hour is up and I don't remember I can have the coffee. It's hard not to be a bit stupid before that first cup. ;)

Understood...fasting blood work means I am on the road with no coffee, good thing there is a coffee shop in the hospital.

Shrek needed coffee to make coffee this morning...rough start.

I just got back from the grocery store.
I'm going to sit here for a while, then take out the bacon and cream cheese and prepare my ABTs.

I just got my country style pork ribs in the crockpot with onions and a nice sauce for pulled pork later.

Lordy, Lordy...it's snowing, about 1 inch so far!

Last edited:
I just got my country style pork ribs in the crockpot with onions and a nice sauce for pulled pork later.

Lordy, Lordy...it's snowing, about 1 inch so far!

Are you kidding? You're getting snow right now?!

I've got the ABTs done and in the fridge and a chuck roast poked with garlic slivers and seasoned with Italian herbs wrapped up and as Emeril would say, getting happy.

Geez. Maybe I should go outside and mow the lawn again if I am going to get another cold blast.
I better check the weather.

It depends. The older varieties, like Annabelle, can take being pruned to the ground in the fall. The newer varieties aren't supposed to be pruned. What do you have, Carol?

I don't know what it is. The first one I had for a few years and it never bloomed. Finally, it died. Now I have another one that my son bought me 2 years ago for Mother's Day. Last year it got one flower on it. So far this year I seem to see a couple green leaves on it and all the dead sticks. I guess I'm supposed to pull them off now?

I don't know what it is. The first one I had for a few years and it never bloomed. Finally, it died. Now I have another one that my son bought me 2 years ago for Mother's Day. Last year it got one flower on it. So far this year I seem to see a couple green leaves on it and all the dead sticks. I guess I'm supposed to pull them off now?

Yes, probably safe to do that now. Some bloom on the previous year's wood, but you would probably have seen leaf buds by now. Our winter was hard on mine, I'm going to wait for a bit to prune as some of the branches don't snap off easily and may still produce.

It's getting really cloudy, hoping it will rain, otherwise I need to water the vegetables and seeds I planted yesterday.

Last edited:

Curious as to what plant Dawgluver and CarolPA are talking about. I don't know what 'it' is. :) Can you save me the trouble of going back through all the posts on this thread?

I suggest you get some pruning shears and cut off the dead branches, and also any that are crossing each other. Cut them as far down to the ground as you can. Pulling can damage the plant.

Curious as to what plant Dawgluver and CarolPA are talking about. I don't know what 'it' is. :) Can you save me the trouble of going back through all the posts on this thread?

Hydrangeas. I have 4, my current fave is Endless Summer. I also have a monstrosity that was supposed to be Annabelle, but it's something else, and has totally taken over its allotted corner. We hack it to the ground and it keeps coming back.

The quick way to find it is by clicking the little box, in the quote, with a chevron/arrow next to the person's name. That will take you back to the original post. I had to do that twice in this case, to get back to where the hydrangeas are mentioned.

I found a use for my beautifully overabundant chives! I thought, pesto! And found a recipe for it using just chives, almonds, parm, garlic, and olive oil.

Nice tip, Taxy!

I just finished making some creamy cole slaw. I added a little horseradish for a little bite.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom