What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Add my hug to the batch Princess and have him give you one back for me.

Here in Canada we have the opposite problem. They want to get them out ASAP and will pay whatever it takes to have them home and looked after there. We had care workers, nurses, respiratory techs, physio and occupational therapists coming and going for Dad. And if I found it too much, they would ask whatever else I needed. But mostly I looked after him. And when these people were here it was difficult because the dogs would have to be gated up, and Dad would need me there to "interpret" what people were saying because of his hearing. It really wasn't "help" for me, just an assurance whatever needed doing was done right.

Losing a parent is a very difficult event to go through. But if it is the last parent, you feel like now you are an orphan. No matter how old you are. All of a sudden you become the oldest generation of the family. My deepest sympathy to you and Stirling. :angel:
My maternal grandmother died when I was 13 after 2 weeks in the hospital. I knew exactly when she died (it was 1:33 p.m., I was in home ec class). When I got home from school, my mother was prostate on her bed keening. I remember her saying that she was an orphan. My mom was 40 when her mom died. My dad was 65 when his mother died.

I am 53 and still have both my parents, but many of my friends have lost theirs. I treasure the fact I can still pick up the phone and call them. VB, make amends with your father. I didn't speak to my parents for 6 years. I regret the loss of those years--my mother was still lucid then. Now, she is not always lucid and she is not the mom I remember. Be the bigger person and set aside whatever anger and hurt you have and make amends. The relationship won't be the same, but you will not be sorry. And, your dad will probably meet you halfway. Mine did.

TL--hugs to both of you. How is Stirling's mom holding up?

CWS, I asked Stirling's mum how she was doing. She replied, "One step at a time." I'm not sure how she is holding up. I think she is being the "tower of strength" right now. I'll know better when I see her. It will probably hit her sometime after the cremation.

We got the call this morning. Stirling's dad passed away last night. Our Facebook pages have been flooded with condolences.
I just saw this TL. Please accept my hugs and condolences. I know how hard it is to lose a parent - no matter how ill they are you don't want to see them suffer and yet it is hard to let them go. :flowers:

I just saw this TL. Please accept my hugs and condolences. I know how hard it is to lose a parent - no matter how ill they are you don't want to see them suffer and yet it is hard to let them go. :flowers:
Thank you Laurie. I how are you doing on that front?

CWS, I asked Stirling's mum how she was doing. She replied, "One step at a time." I'm not sure how she is holding up. I think she is being the "tower of strength" right now. I'll know better when I see her. It will probably hit her sometime after the cremation.
Sounds as if she's on "auto pilot" to get her through the cremation. Thoughts with you and yours. Gotta love DC--we cook, we joke, and we grieve together.

I understand what she's saying, taxlady. It was 4 years ago yesterday that Buck died suddenly and I felt the same way. The few days surrounding and after his death/funeral/cremation were spent in an almost stoic numb state. Some parts of it I still don't remember.

The part that was the most challenging was walking into our big old house...alone and knowing that was how it was going to be from then on.

The only advice I can offer is to be there when she needs you. It's a tough road, especially if she and her husband were together for a long time.

taxlady said:
We got the call this morning. Stirling's dad passed away last night. Our Facebook pages have been flooded with condolences.

So sorry TL, I lost my dad last fall. It's still hard. Slowly my grieving has been replaced with being grateful for the experience of having a wonderful, caring dad. I was lucky.

My condolences Vanilla Bean and Taxlady. I'm very sorry to hear of each of your loss.

My maternal grandmother died when I was 13 after 2 weeks in the hospital. I knew exactly when she died (it was 1:33 p.m., I was in home ec class). When I got home from school, my mother was prostate on her bed keening. I remember her saying that she was an orphan. My mom was 40 when her mom died. My dad was 65 when his mother died.

I am 53 and still have both my parents, but many of my friends have lost theirs. I treasure the fact I can still pick up the phone and call them. VB, make amends with your father. I didn't speak to my parents for 6 years. I regret the loss of those years--my mother was still lucid then. Now, she is not always lucid and she is not the mom I remember. Be the bigger person and set aside whatever anger and hurt you have and make amends. The relationship won't be the same, but you will not be sorry. And, your dad will probably meet you halfway. Mine did.

TL--hugs to both of you. How is Stirling's mom holding up?

It's a long story, but we haven't communicated since last December after my Grandma (mom's mom) passed. He is my adopted dad, not my real father. He has shown me, since I have lived in WA, how little I cross his mind. Do you know that he has never sent me a birthday or Christmas card, and I have been here since 2005? I have made attempts with many phone calls, cards, gifts, etc.... it just seems like he doesn't really care.

Last edited:
I'm trying to recover from our road trip to Minneapolis. We are culturally and gastronomically deprived here, so I went somewhat nuts with encounters with Costco, Whole Foods, and Byerly's. We are now ready for the Apocalypse.

In addition, we stopped at Steve's Meat Market in Ellendale, and picked up all sorts of smoked loveliness.

I'm trying to clean up the house and get everything put away.

i just finished burying one of our "outdoor" cats today. we found him dead in the backyard this morning. he was sick for a while, so his suffering is finally over. :( his body will nourish the skyrocket juniper bush growing right next to his grave.

i just finished burying one of our "outdoor" cats today. we found him dead in the backyard this morning. he was sick for a while, so his suffering is finally over. :( his body will nourish the skyrocket juniper bush growing right next to his grave.

I'm sorry :( It's always hard losing a pet.

We saw our outdoor cat dying last year, we opened some earth for her, and she was never seen again, though, we know she is gone. It's hard to lose them.

And by the way, stray thoughts and all, I'M HOT, REALLY HOT, temperature wise. I hate being hot. I think I'll sop my head in some water and soak a towel in some water to put on me..........URGGGG, I'M HOT!

buckytom said:

So sorry, BT.

No A/C, Blissful? That's miserable.

Last edited:
blissful said:
Nope no A/c......I stuck my head in cold water. It will be nice at 2 am......thankfully.

I would be putting my water-soaked head in the freezer and surrounding myself with frozen produce if I were you! We have 94° here!

Hope you can cool off before 2 am!

Back
Top Bottom