What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As BT wrote, the letters are easy, it's the other stuff that's hard. I took typing in school. The typewriter didn't even have a "1", you used a lower case "l". It certainly didn't have { or [ or Alt, Ctrl, or AltGr.

I learned on an old 1920 Underwood and it had all the numbers and brackets. The computer related keys you just remember from using them over the years. Maybe it is because I have been using a computer when people hadn't even heard of them yet. I had to learn all the commands just to create a new paragraph and any of the computer related keys. I even particapated in a program to help a team of techies develop a program to make the computer more user friendly. When I say I came in on the ground floor, it was more or less the basement. :angel:

Underwood made M1 carbines in WWII. A lot of those old Typewriter places were converted to produce weapons. I have an IBM carbine and a Remington Rand pistol.
Fun facts to know and tell ;)

Underwood made M1 carbines in WWII. A lot of those old Typewriter places were converted to produce weapons. I have an IBM carbine and a Remington Rand pistol.
Fun facts to know and tell ;)

Just about every factory was converted to the war effort. But I wonder if the typed words on the enemy was "Made in the USA" :angel:

Cute thing this afternoon. After a long nap I went & sat outside the front of the house in the rocker. Our chiwawa, max, usually just runs to the end of the block, does his thin & comes right back. Today. a very large yellow labacame up behind max & tried to take a big chomp out of his backend, one of our cats, buford, 15# big gold tomcat, bigger than max, came up behind the lab & jumped on him. It was like buford was defending max. The lab turned around & took off. I guess I should start using a leash with.....max?

Cute thing this afternoon. After a long nap I went & sat outside the front of the house in the rocker. Our chiwawa, max, usually just runs to the end of the block, does his thin & comes right back. Today. a very large yellow labacame up behind max & tried to take a big chomp out of his backend, one of our cats, buford, 15# big gold tomcat, bigger than max, came up behind the lab & jumped on him. It was like buford was defending max. The lab turned around & took off. I guess I should start using a leash with.....max?

:LOL: Buford rocks!

LOL! SB! Maybe you can hire Buford out as a bodyguard!

We had a cat that used to face down big dogs all the time, especially if they came in his yard.

I learned on an old 1920 Underwood and it had all the numbers and brackets. The computer related keys you just remember from using them over the years. Maybe it is because I have been using a computer when people hadn't even heard of them yet. I had to learn all the commands just to create a new paragraph and any of the computer related keys. I even particapated in a program to help a team of techies develop a program to make the computer more user friendly. When I say I came in on the ground floor, it was more or less the basement. :angel:

with all due and heartfelt respect, addie, typewriters as compared to the tremendous array of system specific keyboards since the invention of computers have not had the same key set.

the most simple example would be function keys, the numlock or scroll lock keys, and to a lesser extent, home, end, page up, page down, and delete vs backspace.

typewriters were by design to be simply mechanical. not that they couldn't have macro or function keys. some did through the 70's and 80's. but they were system specific. aka proprietary, as i'd mentioned.

only with the birth of personal computers did keyboards become slightly standardized as they're known. many computers still have very different key sets to this day depending on their usage.

skip ahead 20 years and loads of different keyboards in between, and all the while increasingly smaller systems were invented, and by them more oddly connected keyboards,

finally, because we employ chinese children to make most of our products in the most cost efficient way, keyboards have become a throw away item. if a key goes bad, buy another one for $3 rather than waste a while triyng to fix something that wasn't designed to be removed or replaced.

whew.

and so it goes.

Last edited:
I went to another shoulder surgeon today for a 2nd opinion on my shoulder

They too said it has healed well and are at a loss why I still have pain in it and cant sleep on it :ermm:

They have suggested a type of physio that teaches your shoulder to move a different way, as the way I move it now causes pain...I dont know what type of physio this will be, but I am going to give it a shot :)

I went to another shoulder surgeon today for a 2nd opinion on my shoulder

They too said it has healed well and are at a loss why I still have pain in it and cant sleep on it :ermm:

They have suggested a type of physio that teaches your shoulder to move a different way, as the way I move it now causes pain...I dont know what type of physio this will be, but I am going to give it a shot :)

Good for you. Don't give up on that shoulder. What did you do in the first place that required you to have surgery? :angel:

@bt

Well today I have given another Chinese child job security. Spike just left after installing my large glow in the dark keyboard and mouse. The mouse is really light in weight compared to my wireless one. And ever time I hit the space bar it clicks. Driving me crazy. But I am sure I will get used to it. The keys do not click and are very soft. The letters are so large I could see them across the room without my glasses. The back key is smaller than my old keyboard and I keep hitting the wrong one. I have a whole new learning curve to absorb. So far I think I like it. Will report back in a day or two. I just hate having to stop and look at the keyboard for that back key. It slows down my typing.:angel:

:wacko: I have had it! I want to know what the "Print Screen" key is for. I have never been able to figure out or even find out how that key works. It certainly has never printed anything for me. I have always had to do the C+P. How do you get the "Print Screen" key to print the screen.? Nobody can ever answer that question for me. Anyone out there with the answer? :angel:

That key takes a snapshot of exactly what's displayed on your computer screen. After you hit Print Screen you have to paste it into WORD or similar.

That key takes a snapshot of exactly what's displayed on your computer screen. After you hit Print Screen you have to paste it into WORD or similar.

:mad: So I hit "Print Screen" open a Word document and then hit C+P? That's all? And all these years nobody could tell me that? Evidently all I have ever known are a bunch of idiots. Thank you !!! :angel: And one for you and your family. :angel:

:mad: So I hit "Print Screen" open a Word document and then hit C+P? That's all? And all these years nobody could tell me that? Evidently all I have ever known are a bunch of idiots. Thank you !!! :angel: And one for you and your family. :angel:

Control+V

I didn't know you could paste it into Word. I always use Paint.
That way I can trim off anything I don't want my computer guy to see if I have to email him a screenshot of something.

Frustrated with the system!:sick:

I got a warning gummy tag on my garbage can yesterday. Took me 10 minutes to get that greasy sticky mess off my hands. The disposal Co, isn't happy that they can't reach out and grab my cans because of my over grown tree. It's city property. They usually cut it back every year. This year they stopped in front then left without cutting it back. They only cut a few select trees back, maybe 3 in total. It's been 3 years. VERY much over groan. Our vehicles get swiped by the branches when we pull out.

The tag has 3 warnings circled. The other 2 I can't do anything about.
1. Cans must be 2' apart from each other. No can do on that, they will block no only my driveway but also prevent the city or emergency vehicles from using an access alley.
2. Place the cans in the street.. Why so someone can hit them? Idiots!

Called the city about it. I was told they don't speak with that disposal co.
What????!!! Guess we'll wait and see what happens. If they can't or won't take care of it I'll have the job done myself and send them the bill.

Beef#2 Why is the system making it so hard for us normal people to dispose of outdated unused prescriptions? It's wrong to just flush them.
Sewer systems don't like it.

Pharmacies no longer around here accept them. Because of the Governments strict policies. I've called waste management people who dispose of used needles and such. They to won't accept prescriptions.

I've cleaned out all of my old heart meds. OTC expired cold meds. It's filled a shopping bag.

They make it so hard to do the right thing. Makes me wonder why I even bother to follow the rules.

Wow, Munky.
I almost feel like calling your city and "explaining" things to them.
Your garbage people stink.

Back
Top Bottom