What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have a little extra jam try these!

Jam Bars
½ cup light brown sugar
1 cup AP flour
1 cup rolled oats
½ t Baking Soda
1/8 t Salt
½ cup butter, at room temperature
½ cup jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix brown sugar, flour, rolled oats, baking soda and salt. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender to form a crumbly mixture. Press two cups of the mixture into the bottom of an 8X8 inch square pan. Spread jam almost to the edge of the base crust. Sprinkle remaining crumbs on top and press lightly. Bake 30 to 40 minutes until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into 16 small bars.

Notes:
I sometimes add chopped nuts or coconut to the crumb mixture.

When the bars are cool spank a little powdered sugar on top.

This sounds lovely, thanks B :)

Maybe someone swiped it for scrap...

Boy that seems like a lot of work. Unless you don't have to separate dissimilar metals and the insulation anymore.
I'll have to call the nearest scrap yard and ask them for next time. Although it would probably cost me as much in gas as what I might get for it to drive there.

Boy that seems like a lot of work. Unless you don't have to separate dissimilar metals and the insulation anymore.
I'll have to call the nearest scrap yard and ask them for next time. Although it would probably cost me as much in gas as what I might get for it to drive there.

Spike keeps every little piece of metal from the jobs he does. He keeps them in those five gallon buckets. When it is full he cashes it in. Have you any idea how much they are paying for scrap metal these days? You could make a good living just collecting it and cashing it in. For water heaters, if they are not broken down, you get paid less per pound. My daughter tossed her old iron that had burnt out. Gone in five minutes after they put the trash out.

Old and empty houses are a prime target to strip the plumbing and cash in. I just love Thursdays here. That is trash day. By the time the trucks get here for pickup, everyone's trash has been gone through and some barrels are half empty. They even take the empty cans put out for recycling. There is one very old lady with her big green bags hanging from her cart. She is very neat and makes sure she doesn't leave a mess after going through every container. She has long dishwashing yellow gloves that she wears. And a rubber apron that butchers wear. To look at her you would never guess that she makes a good living and owns her own home free and clear. All paid for with someone's trash. These folks even have their own route. And you don't cross the line and go onto a street that is not your route. I have even seen them fighting for their route. A whole subculture. :angel:

I'm not wide awake until it's almost time for bed! :ermm: Hence my 3:00 AM ramblings...

You too? I have the craziest sleep patterns. Or no pattern at all. I have noticed that all of a sudden I get sleepy right after I take my pills. So I have changed my pill taken completely around. I take my morning pills at 11 p.m. That way I wake up at fourish a.m. Then I continue with the 12 noon, and 6 p.m. in the morning of the day after. Sound confusing? Well once I got it figured out, it works. As long as I get my pills into me in a 24 hour period. Then I can start the next cycle. I often take a short nap during the afternoon for about 20 minutes.

I don't mind being up at the wee hours of the morning. I seem to have more energy during those hours. I clean and do housework, baking, etc. I often think of my working days. Sound asleep by 10 p.m. and still didn't want to get up at 6 a.m. to get ready for work. But what really use to get me mad was waking up at 6 a.m. without the alarm clock on Saturday and Sunday morning. But it felt so good to turn over and go back to sleep for another hour or so. :angel:

I have a well develop talent for making more work for myself. I seem to enjoy doing everything the hard way.

All I wanted was another cup of coffee. So after I polished the sink chrome in the bathroom after washing my hands I went to get my cup. Nope, not at the computer, not where I usually sit, not on the counter in the kitchen after I wiped it down and cleaned it, not on top of the stove after I cleaned that too. Dang, all I want is a cup of coffee. So I gave up and poured one in a clean cup I had just cleaned after I washed all the stuff in the sink. Opened the door to the micro. Voila! There was my cup of coffee all nice and hot. I am losing it folks, I am losing it. :angel:

I felt like having ribs tonight so I ran all the way into the city to get them. The ones they sell in the town store are real fatty. On the way home I also picked up some fresh, locally grown corn... finally... and treated myself to a large soft serve twist of orange sherbet and vanilla yogurt. Boy, have ice cream cones really gone up in price.

I've been mowing this morning (since Pac didn't show up to help me out! :LOL:
I'm taking a rest. :wacko:

I felt like having ribs tonight so I ran all the way into the city to get them. The ones they sell in the town store are real fatty. On the way home I also picked up some fresh, locally grown corn... finally... and treated myself to a large soft serve twist of orange sherbet and vanilla yogurt. Boy, have ice cream cones really gone up in price.

Wow! So you RAN to the city! You must be really tired.

I am feeling much better with my asthma, it is still there but managed by the prednisone. Unfortunately the medication makes me very hyper and agitated. Last night I was supposed to rest but I needed to burn off this excess energy so I started the baking for my order due Monday for a tea. I did four rhubarb loaves, a pan of cranberry oat squares and got some prep done for my blueberry zucchini muffins.

I really hate this feeling, but I also hate not breathing properly and coughing and wheezing nonstop. The treatment lasts 7 days.

TB took the day off as I am uncomfortable being alone with the moods from the prednisone and I had another blackout yesterday. We have to meet my sister at the bank for the finalization of Dad's estate and are then taking her for dinner for her birthday tomorrow.

What city are you near?

I am feeling much better with my asthma, it is still there but managed by the prednisone. Unfortunately the medication makes me very hyper and agitated. Last night I was supposed to rest but I needed to burn off this excess energy so I started the baking for my order due Monday for a tea. I did four rhubarb loaves, a pan of cranberry oat squares and got some prep done for my blueberry zucchini muffins.

I really hate this feeling, but I also hate not breathing properly and coughing and wheezing nonstop. The treatment lasts 7 days.

TB took the day off as I am uncomfortable being alone with the moods from the prednisone and I had another blackout yesterday. We have to meet my sister at the bank for the finalization of Dad's estate and are then taking her for dinner for her birthday tomorrow.

Hey, Laurie. I'm curious - how do you keep the baked goods fresh for Monday? Do you freeze them?

I have some bananas starting to turn brown. I think I'll make some banana-nut muffins. I made them last month from a Cooks Illustrated recipe that includes plain Greek yogurt - they came out beautifully! They were so TALL! :)

LP, good to hear you're breathing better. If you have any leftover energy after you do everyone's work on your end of the continent, could you swing by my place to lend a hand? Then you can continue east to Andy's and Addie's. :LOL: Seriously, though, hope you're all OK soon. And happy birthday to your dear sis. :flowers:

You too? I have the craziest sleep patterns. Or no pattern at all.....

I used to be a morning person by need when I had a paying job. When the kids came along I was awake when I was needed. Pretty sure I was asleep when needed sometimes that first year too! When the kids went to school I became a morning person again. When we moved here I was still up and running in the AM. Then Himself's job became mostly 4:00 to midnight. We ended up staying up till 2:00AM so we could catch the rerun of the 10PM news at 1:00AM. Then he was laid off, I figured we'd go back to being up and going in the morning... Nope. He found all these different shows he could watch on Hulu since he connected the computer to the big TV. :glare: Sometimes I stay up till he's heading to bed (mostly to make sure he goes) and sometimes I head up sooner. All I know is there are WAY too many days I wake the birds up on my way to sleep. :huh: Wrong, so wrong. Gotta get a life.

Hey, Laurie. I'm curious - how do you keep the baked goods fresh for Monday? Do you freeze them?

I have some bananas starting to turn brown. I think I'll make some banana-nut muffins. I made them last month from a Cooks Illustrated recipe that includes plain Greek yogurt - they came out beautifully! They were so TALL! :)

When I am doing large events such as weddings, etc., and this also goes for the wedding cake, I can not bake it all on the day so it is perfectly fresh. What I do is make the items and put them in the freezer the minute they are cool enough and whole (I do not cut them). I wrap them in two layers of plastic wrap and then foil. The bars and squares I leave in their pans and cover the surface of the bars with plastic and then the pan with foil. I do not freeze things covered in chocolate (like Nanaimo bars, peppermint patties, etc.) because they will sweat while they thaw. Brownies I will freeze and then add frosting or ganache when they are thawed.

I do not freeze anything for more than 5 days and try to keep it under that as much as possible. The night before I will put it all in the fridge to thaw and cut loaves when they are almost thawed so I get clean cuts.

Muffins or cupcakes can be placed in containers with plastic or parchment between each layer.

Everything ends up looking and tasting like I baked non-stop for the last 24 hours.

:ohmy: Looks like I just let out my secret! :LOL: If I am using it for home use I can leave it in the freezer for a lot longer.

I would love the banana muffin recipe if you can share! :angel:

LP, good to hear you're breathing better. If you have any leftover energy after you do everyone's work on your end of the continent, could you swing by my place to lend a hand? Then you can continue east to Andy's and Addie's. :LOL: Seriously, though, hope you're all OK soon. And happy birthday to your dear sis. :flowers:

Sure, and I should probably stop in and help chopper with her lawn and lend her my meat grinder...:ROFLMAO:

Thanks for the well wishes for me and my sister. She has one of her dogs in obedience trials tomorrow and goes in for an operation to fix her incision area on Monday. So it will be nice to spend some time together first.

Oh, I get my new cookware today - which is a good thing because of the pot I destroyed that caused my asthma attack. It isn't anything fancy - SS with copper bottoms and no non-stick. I have my pro pots but they are big and I want something for every day living that can go in the oven, on the stove and even look nice enough to go to the table.:)

Back
Top Bottom