What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had an appointment with my vascular doctor today. I woke up in a great mood. All is well, and my blood pressure was right on! My oxygen level was at 100%. It is always around 97%. I have gained four pounds, but that is okay with me. It tells me I am eating. My sugar level was low. And I am feeling on top on the world. I am even walking without limping. My hip and spine are feeling great, and the arthritis in my fingers is non existent. It has been a long time since I felt this good. Here hoping it last for the whole day. :angel:
Glad to hear you are feeling better.

I didn't know Clunes was an actor. I thought he was a dog trainer or something. I watched two specials he had a few years ago; Martin Clunes and his dogs. Interesting.

Martin Clunes is Doc Martin on BBC America...fantastic show.

I haven't seen that, but with Clunes, Brenda Blethyn and Bill Bailey, it certainly has an impressive cast! I shall keep an eye out for it! :)

Oh, I wish I was watching it again for the first time...you will just scream in laughter at some of the goings on.

I had an appointment with my vascular doctor today. I woke up in a great mood. All is well, and my blood pressure was right on! My oxygen level was at 100%. It is always around 97%. I have gained four pounds, but that is okay with me. It tells me I am eating. My sugar level was low. And I am feeling on top on the world. I am even walking without limping. My hip and spine are feeling great, and the arthritis in my fingers is non existent. It has been a long time since I felt this good. Here hoping it last for the whole day. :angel:
That is wonderful news! Prayers answered! :angel::angel:

Do any of our friends across the pond know if there is going to be a season 6 of Doc Martin? I hated to see the end of Season 5. I even got Spike hooked on that show. :angel:

Do any of our friends across the pond know if there is going to be a season 6 of Doc Martin? I hated to see the end of Season 5. I even got Spike hooked on that show. :angel:

Season 6 is airing on UK TV at the moment Addie. It's not a show I watch myself, but seems to be pretty popular! :)

Season 6 is airing on UK TV at the moment Addie. It's not a show I watch myself, but seems to be pretty popular! :)

Thank you KC. That means when the new season ends, we will get it. Like Downton Abby. I will let Spike know. Any idea how many episodes and where it is now over there? In other words, how long do I have to wait?

We get so many excellent shows from England. But this one always has me on the floor with laughter. :angel:

Thank you KC. That means when the new season ends, we will get it. Like Downton Abby. I will let Spike know. Any idea how many episodes and where it is now over there? In other words, how long do I have to wait?

We get so many excellent shows from England. But this one always has me on the floor with laughter. :angel:

8 Episodes for season 6 and it started at the beginning of September, so I would guess it is coming to an end soon. I don't know what that means for a US airing?

But, apparently, there is every likelihood of a 7th season. (MC has certainly agreed to one.)

8 Episodes for season 6 and it started at the beginning of September, so I would guess it is coming to an end soon. I don't know what that means for a US airing?

But, apparently, there is every likelihood of a 7th season. (MC has certainly agreed to one.)

We will probably get it in December. This is such a great show, I will hate to see it end. I love watching him with the baby. Thanks so much. :angel:

Congratulations to you daughter Mad Cook. She interviews very well. And beauty on top of skill. She is going far! :angel:
Jenna's not my daughter (for which she is probably profoundly grateful:LOL:). She's the daughter of the owner of the yard where my horse lives. She works very hard, bless her, and Daddy doesn't indulge her. She's recently bought a second show horse and had to sell her car to part-finance it (Dad made up the difference of course, he isn't an ogre!)

Only geldings are used for the Budweiser wagon shows. The geldings if you look at them have a matching blaze down their face. The feathers on their feet have to be of a certain length and all matching. The manes and tails have to be all black and the bodies a deep brown, and the tails get bobbed when performing. They have their own breeding stock. At any one time they have over three hundred horses in the breeding stock. What horses they decide to not keep are sold off every year. And they are privately sold through a private auction. You have to be known by Budweiser and invited to the auction. There are three wagons with a draft of eight horses each. Each wagon has three teams to be swapped off for performances. They put on quite a show.

And BTW, Budweiser travels to Devon every other year to participate in the Clyesdale show there.

I have a secret spot in my heart for these giant gentle creatures. They don't realize just how big they are and are so eager to please. Quite often you will see a pasture of foals playing together. What a lot of folks don't see is the mare playing with her baby as well. :angel:
My grandfather worked with horses and just before the first world war he took a shipment of Clydesdales to Canada. It took about 6 months for the round trip including travelling with them to where they were going over there. He loved Canada and would have liked to emigrate but my grandmother wasn't having any of it.

I wonder if any of the Bud Clydesdales are by any chance descended from the one he took to Canada.

It's a funny thing about horses. The bigger they are the gentler and more biddable they seem to be. My chap is 16.2 hands (for the uninitiated that's 5'6" at his withers or top of his shoulders) and he is a lamb but I've known dainty little ponies who were absolute villains.

My grandfather worked with horses and just before the first world war he took a shipment of Clydesdales to Canada. It took about 6 months for the round trip including travelling with them to where they were going over there. He loved Canada and would have liked to emigrate but my grandmother wasn't having any of it.

I wonder if any of the Bud Clydesdales are by any chance descended from the one he took to Canada.

It's a funny thing about horses. The bigger they are the gentler and more biddable they seem to be. My chap is 16.2 hands (for the uninitiated that's 5'6" at his withers or top of his shoulders) and he is a lamb but I've known dainty little ponies who were absolute villains.

When I worked the dude ranch, I rode a horse named Spook, because he was grey and would come out of the morning fog looking like a ghost. He was 16 hands and for me it was like trying to scale a vertical surface, I'm under 5 foot (1.5 meters). He would wait patiently for me to climb aboard and then we were off.

My beloved Jasmine was about 14.5 hands, we were inseparable when I was at the farm in the summers. She belonged to my uncle, but she would only let me ride her, no one else could get near her with a saddle. We had three good summers and won a couple of barrel races together...that was a long time ago!:ermm:

Last edited:
When I was a kid, we spent parts of summers in the mountains. We would go to the local horse place and rent a couple of horses for an hour. The first few times my dad came along and we had a guide. After that, my sister and I went by ourselves (nowadays most places won't let adults out by themselves :wacko:). They knew that us two little kids knew to let the horses have their heads if we ever got lost and the horses would head home to the stables.

When I was about fourteen, I took to wearing my hair in "Indian braids". Twice in a row they gave me a horse called Squaw. She was old and a flower eater and I wasn't really a very good rider. So, I asked for a horse with a bit more life in it than Squaw. They said sure, looked at each other funny, and gave me Comanche. Well, he lived up to his name. I couldn't adjust myself in the saddle or move the reins, even a teensy bit, without a reaction. He thought I was telling him to do something. I asked them to hold him, so I could get down. Lots of snickers. Then they gave me an appropriate horse.

Comanche was big and gentle, but extremely well trained - for the owner. No one but the owner of the stables ever rode him. He was a "private horse".

When I worked the dude ranch, I rode a horse named Spook, because he was grey and would come out of the morning fog looking like a ghost. He was 16 hands and for me it was like trying to scale a vertical surface, I'm under 5 foot (1.5 meters). He would wait patiently for me to climb aboard and then we were off.

My beloved Jasmine was about 14.5 hands, we were inseparable when I was at the farm in the summers. She belonged to my uncle, but she would only let me ride her, no one else could get near her with a saddle. We had three good summers and won a couple of barrel races together...that was a long time ago!:ermm:
I do like hearing about other peoples horse-y experiences.

I'm not riding at the moment. I have a bit of a problem with my hip and I can't get on or off which severely limits the range of equestrian activities:(:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom