What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fi, can we have a link to your kit?

Do you know yet if it is economical, or just a way to control what goes into your cheese?

This is the kit I received. I was not crazy about making feta or queso fresco, so I Googled mozzarella recipes, I made the no microwave one.

I'm not sure if the ingredients are that expensive, yet as I have not needed to replenish them, yet. But, I think I will be replenishing when it's time. And branching out to other cheeses.

This is the kit I received. I was not crazy about making feta or queso fresco, so I Googled mozzarella recipes, I made the no microwave one.

I'm not sure if the ingredients are that expensive, yet as I have not needed to replenish them, yet. But, I think I will be replenishing when it's time. And branching out to other cheeses.

How many lbs do you think you will get from the one kit?
Can you re-use the cloth?

How many lbs do you think you will get from the one kit?
Can you re-use the cloth?

If I use the same brand of milk, I think I can get close to 20 pounds of Mozzerella from the kit. The cheesecloth is reusable, very tight weave on it, I'll just need to sterilize it in boiling water before I use it again.

I used my Caphalon Simple - Non-stick - to make this batch, I want a stainless pan for the next, just so I can use a knife to cut the curds. I'm going to research the citric acid, I do know the rennet tablets run around $10 for 10.

There is a more scientific site, I need to re-find, when I do I will post the link. Making cheese without the citric acid, but using real buttermilk.

That looks like a good kit, PF. It includes that little pot. What would have been different about making the feta cheese?

Here is a kit I googled on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Mozzarella and Ricotta Cheese Making Kit: Kitchen & Dining

I read the reviews and most of them were positive about the cheese making process but some people were not successful. I am wondering what kind of milk you used. Many of the reviews said that most milk sold in grocery stores are "ultra pasturized" even though they just say "pasturized." Did you buy any special milk?

I think this would be fun to do and fresh mozzarella is so much better than store-bought.

That looks like a good kit, PF. It includes that little pot. What would have been different about making the feta cheese?

Here is a kit I googled on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Mozzarella and Ricotta Cheese Making Kit: Kitchen & Dining

I read the reviews and most of them were positive about the cheese making process but some people were not successful. I am wondering what kind of milk you used. Many of the reviews said that most milk sold in grocery stores are "ultra pasturized" even though they just say "pasturized." Did you buy any special milk?

I think this would be fun to do and fresh mozzarella is so much better than store-bought.

The feta had more of the citric acid and salt, it is also a pressed cheese. The Mozzarella, I hand kneaded and stretched to make it stringy. I formed it in a round, it is kind of flat, I will do better next time. In the pic it looks like bread dough...

Attachments

• cheese 002.JPG
    cheese 002.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 153
It looks like a big wheel of cheese with a piece missing to me :LOL:

Yep, Latté and I have made an incursion into the cheese. I have some brining in some smoked salt water, the rest in regular brine. I had to put it away before I weighed two more pounds.

That's very cool PF. I have been wanting to make mozzarella for ages, but I haven't gotten around to getting the necessary stuff. Let us know how the ricotta turns out.

I didn't care for the ricotta made from the whey, it was sour and had a mouth feel of chalk. I'll make ricotta from whole milk, next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom