What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All the Kaboom Friday chores are done, along with a few extra things that didn't require a lot of effort. Dinner is all planned out and will be pretty easy to execute. It's hot as blazes and the pool out back is calling me. Time to get wet.

...Good thing garbage day is tomorrow (we only have garbage p/up every other week--PITA. No idea where my property taxes go...except up and services go down).
CW, we have to contract our own trash hauler. We live in a small town and they don't contract for the residents. We have pick-up every-other week by choice to save a little money - as it stands we pay almost $200 a year for our bi-weekly collections. They somehow missed us a week ago Monday. When I called to see if they switched our week again (because it's happened already this year) they said no, did I want them to send the truck the next day? Considering our cart had two small bags in it I said it wasn't necessary. That way they credit you for the missed pick-up. ;) I told her it's a good thing our carbon footprint is about the size of a baby shoe. :LOL:

I fought with the hospital's collection department about a bill that is in dispute. It seems they fail to follow through with promises of "we'll check on that" and "we'll resubmit the charges". I've just about reached the point where I'll pay the damned bill just to get them off my back. :mad: But I'm cheap, so one last go-round next week now that I have ALL the bills/receipts together again. After I got off the phone I headed down the basement to sort through more garage sale stuff, pitching useless things for the sure pleasure of tossing them hard into the trash!

Just got back from a craft store. Just went in to look at all the new fall and Christmas items. They were all 40% off today. I did buy some pumpkin scented candles and a window cling with a Santa Claus saying "HOHOHO". I will stick that one on the refrigerator
for Christmas. It's one of those hologram clings.(so pretty).

Well I kinda have to agree with you there. My last couple of major shopping trips have caused me extreme pain and I think I'll probably be feeling like you do pretty darn soon,

I really miss having a mobile scooter. I had bought a few used ones before I moved here. I could hop on and go to the store for a couple of things anytime I wanted.

I'll just have to ask my primary care doctor if he can help me get another one. They don't seem to have used ones available here in New Orleans, or if they do they want an exorbitant price.

Medicare will pay for one for you. Find a store in your state and get in touch with them. Or contact a company direct and they will notify their agent in your town or area. They will help you from A-Z. They take care of the billing. They will even contact your PCP for a reference. If you also have Medicaid, they will pay your Medicare premium and the balance of any that Medicare does not pay for the scooter. Medicare will insist you have a new one. Safer for you all around.

Welcome To Golden Technologies | Companion – 3-Wheel Midsize Scooter

This is the scooter I presently have. It goes seven-eight mph and can travel 12 miles on a single charge. I speed up and down the halls to the terror of all the residents. I even have mirrors on both sides of the handles. My first one, I rode into the ground. I worked that one so hard it could no longer take a charge. Even with new batteries. :angel:

Kinda lazy day here and I've been playin' in food a bit. Made a couple of loaves of English muffin bread and a cinnamon-streusel cake.

Right now I have the garlic roaster doing its thing so I can make some roasted garlic bread tomorrow. Love, love, love that little roaster. It's so handy and doesn't heat the kitchen up to roast garlic like the oven used to. I searched the Internet a few minutes ago to see if they were still around. Well, yes...if you count eBay. Holy cow! They're asking three times what I paid, new, for ours.

In a little while Bella and I will join Sally in the studio and play with fabric and, later, Glenn and I will spend some time relaxing in the pool.

All the flurry of the garden and canning is gone and things seem almost molasses-like slow, but I know things will pick up as I ramp up doing projects for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

DH and I just got back from the farmer's market and checking out a couple of new places in town. At the market, I bought several more pounds of tomatoes for freezing, a huge wonderful-smelling cantaloupe, and a baguette from the bakery booth, and I chatted with the master gardeners staffing our booth for a bit.

Then we went to see a new diner-type restaurant that DH saw recently. We were hoping they would be open for Sunday breakfast, but they're open Monday-Saturday. Still on the hunt for a new breakfast place - DH is mad that they started adding a surcharge if you use a credit card to pay.

Then we stopped at a new Asian grocery store that opened less than a mile from our house about two months ago. I'm so excited :bounce: ! Now I don't have to drive 20+ miles to Virginia Beach for Asian ingredients! They have staple ingredients, fresh vegetables and fruit, frozen fish and seafood, and unusual candies and snacks. Check out their Facebook page (you don't need to have a Facebook account to view it): staple ingredients, fresh vegetables and fruit, frozen fish and seafood, and unusual candies and snacks

I also have been to a farmer's market today. There was a fresh seafood stall that had pots of crab pate. Normally I would buy one but I saw that it was not chilled, i.e. on ice or anything but felt fairly cold. (It was a mild, warmish day). I was put off purchasing it - didn't want to risk it since it was seafood. (I have lost my sense of smell so feel at a disadvantage in assessing food freshness). The market was from 9 a.m. till 2 p.m. I was there around midday - 12 noon ish.

Would anyone here have purchased crab pate unchilled from a market stall?

Last edited:
Not me. Even if it did feel cold. The person in charge should have had a cooler with ice in it for such a day. Having been married to a fisherman, I leaned what to do and not to do. And that one is a "Not!"

...Check out their Facebook page (you don't need to have a Facebook account to view it): staple ingredients, fresh vegetables and fruit, frozen fish and seafood, and unusual candies and snacks

I went on Facebook and typed in "new Asian market near GotGarlic's place" but couldn't get it to come up.

Medicare will pay for one for you. Find a store in your state and get in touch with them. Or contact a company direct and they will notify their agent in your town or area. They will help you from A-Z. They take care of the billing. They will even contact your PCP for a reference. If you also have Medicaid, they will pay your Medicare premium and the balance of any that Medicare does not pay for the scooter. Medicare will insist you have a new one. Safer for you all around.

Welcome To Golden Technologies | Companion – 3-Wheel Midsize Scooter

This is the scooter I presently have. It goes seven-eight mph and can travel 12 miles on a single charge. I speed up and down the halls to the terror of all the residents. I even have mirrors on both sides of the handles. My first one, I rode into the ground. I worked that one so hard it could no longer take a charge. Even with new batteries. :angel:

Thanks, Addie. I was just feeling wistful about the scooters I enjoyed in the past. Now it really isn't feasible because I wouldn't be able to take my cart with me, plus I don't have the space to store a scooter.
I've changed my way of shopping to buy enough to get me through the month. I like havingk. a variety of foods to choose from. I may try to get a scooter later if my legs don't improve with the medication I'm taking. I'd love to be able to get to the library. It's not far and would help cut down my books costs. I read constantly, usually 4 or 5 books a week.

Last edited:
Thanks, Addie. I was just feeling wistful about the scooters I enjoyed in the past. Now it really isn't feasible because I wouldn't be able to take my cart with me, plus I don't have the space to store a scooter.
I've changed my way of shopping to buy enough to get me through the month. I like havingk. a variety of foods to choose from. I may try to get a scooter later if my legs don't improve with the medication I'm taking. I'd love to be able to get to the library. It's not far and would help cut down my books costs. I read constantly, usually 4 or 5 books a week.

I do have a dedicated spot in my apartment for the scooter. And I showed you the wrong one. I have the one just above that one. I have the 3-wheel full size. It has all the bells and whistle. And the best part? It didn't cost me a single cent. :angel:

What am I doing?

Er..... well just sloping in quietly and hoping nobody noticed I had been away?

(is it working?):blush:

I'm working on my lists for our trip (I am known for making a list of all the lists I need....seriously :LOL:)

Anyway, this time I am just making it a multi-level bulleted list with what we are packing, doing, needing to pick up or buy, etc. TB is getting the suitcases out so we can start throwing stuff in, i.e. the warmer clothes we will need for walking out in Alaska, our formal wear, bathing suits, etc.

I am also making a list of what we need to do for the house sitters - make them a to do list for the animals, get enough pet food, etc. I am really going to need a vacation by the time I get ready for it! I can't believe it is this coming Friday! :)

Glad to see you back. No, you can't just sneak back without us noticing. ;) What have you been up to?

Hey Taxy!

I have been throwing myself into the job (and it has been very interesting and stimulating!) But I have still been cooking of course!

It's super late here but I look forward to catching up on all DC events and discussing some "American" recipes that I have "tinkered" with!!!

Back
Top Bottom