What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kayelle, that is a great idea! I must admit the thought of stargazing never crossed my mind when I looked at the resort's page. Shame on me. Maybe Himself and I should consider a road trip. :whistling:

FWIW, we were lucky to build our house here in what is know as The Last Green Valley. Considering that we aren't all that far from Boston, Providence, or Hartford, we have rather dark skies in our neck of the woods. I was able to clearly spot the Milky Way more times in one week when we first moved here than I could see in a year back home.

I'm currently nursing a headache. The wind has been blowing hard all evening, so that might be the cause. Or maybe it was the 3 hours or so of non-stop TV viewing while mini-binging on the Rizzoli & Isles discs we got from the library. OR it could be that my BAC levels dropped too low - the headache seems to be going away as I sip on some red wine. :LOL: Then again, the wind has quit too. ;)

Thank you, GG, Kay, and CG! :flowers:

GG, not only is there "Death..." and "Furnace..." names, there's also areas with the name "Devil" this or that. :LOL:

Kay, you and the SC should get out to Death Valley sometime. It really is a spectacular place, despite the name and being completely out in the middle of nowhere. :ermm: We actually will be out under the amazing stars, as the reason we're going is because it's Death Valley Days Thursday through this Sunday, and my SIL and his family are one of the bands playing for the visitors' musical enjoyment. :) He and his family have been playing their music together for decades, and the concerts are being held up through late evening under the stars on a bandstand. We won't watch ALL of the bands, but hope to see several.

CG, I'm hoping that at least one of us will be able to get a good shot of the Milky Way - it's incredible, isn't it??! :ohmy:

Last edited:
I'm in shock over what is happening in Paris. Such a devastating situation over there. I'm praying for peace to be restored there, and for safety for our own country and peoples. Heaven help us all.

It made me sick. Friends recently got back from a tour of Europe, and absolutely adored Paris.

Last edited:
What am I doing? I'm sitting on my behinder...knitting.

I have been on severe walking restriction the last 5 weeks or so and I am having to find ways to amuse myself. I HATE sitting still for very long, which means this has my wings clipped big time! I'd better get used to it. I still have several months of this ahead of me.

I dearly love to knit and I've been spending a lot of time doing that. Part of two of our granddaughters' Christmas will be knitted layettes for their American Girl Bitty Baby dolls. I've been having a blast making the tiny little outfits and blankets. The two layettes will most likely be done by next weekend...if I drag my feet, um, knitting needles. Then I'll have to find or create something else to fill my boredom time.

I have tons and tons of bits and pieces of scrap yarn that can probably be turned into something neat. I'm just hitting a blank coming up with an idea.

The last time I had this dilemma, I used the yarn to make 100 preemie hats for Vanderbilt's (Nashville) NICU. They were so cute and colorful and I cranked them out like a popcorn popper pops corn. There must be some other place that needs something I can knit or crochet.

I've gone back to carrying a side arm but think this area safe. I could see it happening in the lower 48 soon.

It's a rainy day so am staying inside and do chores that always need to be done.

I know what you mean, Katie. The neuropathy in my feet keeps me from doing lots of the things I want to do. Maybe I'll take up knitting this year.

I found this page that lists lots of organizations that take knitted and crocheted items for charity: Crochet For Charity - Crochet Guild of America (CGOA)

My church has a knitting group that makes things for St. Laurence Ministries. My mom passed away in 2010 and left behind an afgan she was knitting. It wasn't finished, gave it to one of the ladies, and she will see it gets done and to donate.

I know what you mean, Katie. The neuropathy in my feet keeps me from doing lots of the things I want to do. Maybe I'll take up knitting this year.

I found this page that lists lots of organizations that take knitted and crocheted items for charity: Crochet For Charity - Crochet Guild of America (CGOA)

Thanks, GotGarlic. Not neuropathy here, just an invasive and complex surgery on my right heel. This, too, shall pass.

I have bookmarked your link and have "grazed" a few of its listed sites. I think I've found a few that will be helpful to me. If for no other reason than to use up all manner of scrap yarn.

Thanks, GotGarlic. Not neuropathy here, just an invasive and complex surgery on my right heel. This, too, shall pass.

I have bookmarked your link and have "grazed" a few of its listed sites. I think I've found a few that will be helpful to me. If for no other reason than to use up all manner of scrap yarn.

No, I didn't think it was the same cause. Same effect, though.

I'm glad I could help :)

I'm looking for something to occupy my time today.Just keep moving is the game plan.Great idea Katie.

I'll be the Lil' Knit Whit (SP?) Isle # 1!

Knowing you like to sew, and probably have a great stash of scrap fabric that needs a home as well.
Wouldn't your Granddaughter's love one of these?

Pffft...I'm really partial to the Blueberry one.Just sayin'

And yes I DO need my entire life in a bag!:LOL:

5 Knit Clutch Patterns

Thursday, one of the residents and myself took a trip into Boston with The Ride. As we were talking to the driver, she was telling us that her wedding gown was too small for her daughter and so she didn't know what to do with it. I suggested that she Google 'newborn outfits from wedding gowns.' There are organizations all across the country that cut up donated white wedding gowns and make burial outfits for stillborn and other babies that don't make it out of the NICU alive. She was so touched by the idea that as soon as she finds the info, she is going to pass it along to the women in her church to donate their gowns also. My RAK for the day.

But we walked so much in town, that when I got home, I hit my bed immediately and spent all day Friday in bed. Today we had planned to go to a large estate sale in the next town over. My right hip wouldn't let me out of bed. I had to call Pirate to get my wheelchair out so I could take care of my personal needs. I swore when I got out of that wheelchair eight years ago, I would never get back into it. Lesson learned. Don't push myself so hard next time. I can now walk around a bit in my apartment, but that is it.

Today we were having "Witches Winds". Those are very strong winds without the rain or other weather related problems. Sun was shining brightly. We were having gusts up to 35 mph. All of a sudden I heard what sounded like the wind of a tornado coming toward the open window. I got up and went to the window to close it and a big board hit it right in the middle of the screen. Scared the living daylights out of me. Then I go in the small room and look at the tree across the street. Just in time to see the whole top of the tree get blown off. Sun still shining. Those folks were lucky it didn't land on their home. :angel:

Tourist train

Today I worked on the Fillmore & Western train. We had a group of about 100 seniors to go on a murder mystery luncheon. They all seemed to enjoy it. I also took my copilot along to helop. He really enjoyed it too.
We have an Angel Flight scheduled for Tuesday. The fact the sun is setting around 5 PM (not 2 PM) curtails my flying as our airport is not lighted.

Lots to do today, as DH likes to say. I'm getting ready to go to the store and get a few last ingredients to make sauce for lasagna for DH's birthday Saturday. I also need to start a list of things to do before we leave for Michigan Wednesday. My MIL is in the hospital; she's been very sick for a few weeks now and had a stroke-type event while in the hospital. She was moved to the ICU and seemed to be getting better - they were planning to release her to rehab tomorrow - but then she had a setback yesterday. DH is teaching a professional development class Tuesday night, and doesn't feel that he can skip that, so we're going Wednesday.

His dad needs help, too. He had a stroke last year; he recovered well, but he's not eating well. We're going to do some major cooking while we're there - make freezer meals out of whatever ingredients they have (and whatever we need to buy) so he can just thaw and heat. I guess we'll also take the turkey I bought to make stock with. We'll roast it there and leave the leftovers for his dad. Not sure yet how long we'll be gone.

Back
Top Bottom