What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
`i am so sorry to hear about your recent troubles, Munky.....you and your hubby are in my thoughts....but please do have your eye examinied by an opthamologist especially if you have had cataract surgery in the past.........

Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts.

I do have to correct you one one thing. I wasn't the one who said anything about having a vision problem. That was Addie. (I do hope she went to the ER.) Just sayin'

Awwwww, Munky. I have, in a way, been in your shoes and I know you can't describe the stress. Hang in there and lean on your DC family because we're here for you and I have been the recipient of this collective love and strength.

Sending rest and calm to you.

Thank you, and every one else for the support. I do appreciate it.

Yesterday was the worst for him. They had him up by 7 am poking him, tests, physical therapy, xrays, more therapy. He had enough and just snapped. My nerves have been shot. Shouldn't have taken what he said to heart. That's NOT him. They never gave him a chance to rest and take a nap.
Today I'll ask nicely and remind them that he's just had a quad, thankfully not the quint they were saying he might have to have. And suffered an unexpected stroke. Give him time in between the workouts.

Had I not told the Tech yesterday to tell him how to quickly relax, breathe in slow. Hold it, count 1234, exhale slowly that test would have failed. The Tech said " I give up! this isn't going to happen!" Yelled at my husband. He felt bad. Kept saying " I'm Tholly...tholly..:(
When it was done we all cheered him VERY loudly..YEAHHHH YOU DID IT!:D

Today I'm walking in ready. Will be staying the night again. Unless he's stable and can be moved. Not sure if they will let me stay there.

Where they're taking him. The don't have the monitors to see when his heart rate is too high. So they won't be able to help him.

Munky.

I do have to correct you one one thing. I wasn't the one who said anything about having a vision problem. That was Addie. (I do hope she went to the ER.) Just sayin'

Thanks for the correction, Chef....sorry...`i'm the one that needs their vision corrected........though `i have had bilateral lens replacements for cataracts.......my vision is nothing what it used to be nor is the brain

.still best heart-felt wishes and thoughts........`i know this is a tough, bone-knuckling time for you and your family.......hang in there., champ.......

oh, goodness.........it's 3 hours later and he's `jack Benny'ed up again.......but he will definitely be complimented screech for screech across the strings.........`i'm a teacher after all and `i know the violin is not easy.......`i just hope it's something `he wants to do and not his parents forcing him...........so far
When I was a kid, they let us choose an instrument to learn in school. I chose violin. The noises I made were horrible. Sometimes I would practice extra, in hope of improving. After six weeks, the teacher said that she didn't think violin was the right instrument for me. I was very relieved. I'm glad no one told me that it sounded good. I might have wanted to keep trying.

I would talk to the kid and find out how much interest he has. I would probably mention how hard violin is. I would let the kid's responses guide what I said.

This reminds me of a story. A friend of my mother's was a concert cellist. When he had to retire because of arthritis, he decided to teach. He kept sending his students to a friend for help with their bowing technique. One day his friend asked why he was sending them to him. "Well, they sound awful." "That's what beginners on string instruments sound like." My mum's friend decided to quit teaching - it was just too awful. He had learned to play the cello at the age of three, so he had no idea that beginners sound that bad. :LOL:

Last edited:
Great story, taxlady!!! `yeah, maybe `i can pay this `'child prodgy`' off to not practice so much...........my ears are not going to stand much more of this! `just kidding........`i think it's great when kids take up an instrument........

I went to the Ophthalmologist yesterday morning. I broke a blood vessel while I had a case of severe dry heaves. It is fine and fading. :angel:

Today I am doing my happy, happy days dance. Pirate went shopping this morning and spend over $300 including a steamed whole lobster. Time for my lobster salad sandwich. I know, it is usually served on a New England hot dog roll. But I am happy with my lobster alone.

Then next Sunday I go shopping again for meats. When I say there was nothing to eat in this house, I mean even an ice cube. :angel:

I have a friend who lives within 10 miles of the wildfires in California. I'm trying to convince her to pack a bag now. I will send her a list. Anything obvious that I have forgotten. She has never dealt with wildfire before.

Phone
(laptop)
chargers for above
(Hard drive with backups)
clean underwear
toothbrush
hairbrush
a few t-shirts
medications (for you and dogs, tranquilizers for the dogs, if you have)
dog food
bowls for dog food and water
water

I have a friend who lives within 10 miles of the wildfires in California. I'm trying to convince her to pack a bag now. I will send her a list. Anything obvious that I have forgotten. She has never dealt with wildfire before.

Phone
(laptop)
chargers for above
clean underwear
toothbrush
hairbrush
a few t-shirts
dog food
water

I would grab the deed to the ranch, wills, insurance papers, bank books, stock certificates, family photos and some really good snacks!

Good luck!

Phone
(laptop)
chargers for above
clean underwear
toothbrush
hairbrush
a few t-shirts
dog food
water

Food for herself and maybe a few complete changes of clothes. If she loses her house, she loses everything. She should bring any money, jewelry, and anything of value that is small and can be carried and hidden in her car. Some extra blankets, a pillow, and a sleeping bag if she has one. Definitely a couple gallons of water. And some rain gear. And an address book of phone numbers of people she knows. In times of stress, it's easy to forget your own phone number, let alone those of someone else. Also she should have a map of the area and several contingency plans to get out. An app on her phone is an excellent idea.

For the dog, a crate if she owns one, definitely a leash and collar (maybe a long line), and maybe an ex-pen or something to stake him out with. She should also have his certificate of rabies vaccination and his license. Many shelters don't allow pets and hers may need to be secured in her car overnight if that's where she plans to stay. And all those things will be needed if she needs to shelter with friends or in a hotel for a couple of weeks or more.

Which fire is she near? I read today there's a wildfire on Loma Prieta now. I saw a picture of the flames and I could recognize Loma Chiquita in the background - where the fire is, is where I used to take my telescope out all the time back in the 80s and 90s. That's hitting real close to home for me. I used to drive and ride horseback all over the Santa Cruz Mts.

Last edited:
She is near the Los Gatos wildfire. Since she is waiting to pack a bag, I want to make it as simple and light weight as possible, especially if she ends up grabbing stuff and running. There are three dogs, two of hers and one visiting. Her bf is out of town. I will definitely send her the link that GG provided.

I sure hope she and others in the area get to safely stay in their homes, Taxy. We've sure had enough of the wildfires. :(

During many of the recent fires, animal shelters have stepped up to kennel and care for animals free of charge. So have many local homeowners who have the room for them - even for horses, goats, etc. With as disastrous as this year has been for fires, it's been really heartwarming to see so many businesses and families care for displaced animals, as well as the food (pet and human) that so many have donated. :heart:

Last edited:
I sure hope she and others in the area get to safely stay in their homes, Taxy. We've sure had enough of the wildfires. :(

During many of the recent fires, animal shelters have stepped up to kennel and care for animals free of charge. So have many local homeowners who have the room for them - even for horses, goats, etc. With as disastrous as this year has been for fires, it's been really heartwarming to see so many businesses and families care for displaced animals, as well as the food (pet and human) that so many have donated. :heart:
Thanks. The wind is blowing the fire away from her at the moment.

Munk's On The War Path

Hiya's

Couldn't sleep more that a few hours. Things are absolutely crazy here. I'm stressed and VERY worried for my husbands safety. I need to rant. Get a cup of coffee.
You guys know Hubby was finally ready to go to a stroke rehab facility.
We took him there because the staff highly recommended that place.

His first night was a nightmare. I'm seriously considering filing a complaint, possible lawsuit for what they did to my husband. I was not allowed to stay with him- Reason another male was his roomie. Our sons couldn't stay because they don't allow family members to stay at all.

When we left him. All of us felt sick. (This place is off, really off,cold staff, non caring)

He had managed to get out of his bed at 7:30 am and called me at home.
Asked me to please bring him a few things, to please come right now and get me. I asked if he was ok? He said no just please come get me call my lawyer.

Our oldest had to go to work for the day. Our youngest and I got what he asked for and flew out of this house.
When we got to his room a woman was towering over him grilling him. With peppered questions. She was the top supervising floor nurse who oversees all the nurses and employees.
I could tell by his perspiration and tone he was scared half to death I sat down next to him,held his hand and listened. It made me sick what they did to him.

During the night they dismissed his request not to have blood drawn. Did it anyways. They removed his clothing and left him laying in bed naked, door wide open for hours. Not only was the staff able to see him, other patients were as well. No security!!!! While the staff screwed around flirting with each other, making a lot of noise, shadow boxing with each other in the hall way. Denying his his request for his prescribed meds that would help him sleep.

He missed chow hall dinner. We had to take him to a patio area outside to feed him dinner. Un supervised by any staff. When he finished, We found out that they had locked the door. We had to wait a few minutes for someone to unlock it. We got him back to his room. Shortly afterwards he told us to go home!

Next post coming up. This is just part of his stay.
It gets even worse....

Back
Top Bottom