"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-28-2015, 07:12 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Your choice but I actually find myself feeling sorry for you, Silver Sage
That's arrogant!

You are clearly stating that your choices are better than mine, and that mine are to be pitied.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:52 PM   #12
Master Chef

I guess this post was a bad idea. It has members angry with each other. That wasn't the intent. Maybe my statement about wanting the world to be a nicer place was the problem.

This kind of angers me that something that was supposed to bring back warm feelings instead became the beginning of ill will.

It is anger, misplaced words, and arrogance that drives people away from this site. Make no mistake.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 11:59 PM   #13
Master Chef

I get your intent with this thread Chief, and agree that we live in a different world now where we need to be more cautious. My brother and I are native SoCals and yes, we rode our bikes all over the place and that was fine, as long as we were home around the time the streetlights came on.

"150" years old is a bit of a stretch but yes, several of us here are of mature age. Technology is great and I get a lot of info online, but I still refer to my late grandmother's old cookbooks, with her notes and checkmarks of her tried and true recipes.

As far as 'what did we eat' back then, I have to do some more thinking about it, but the first thing that came to mind is fondue. LOL During the 60's and early 70's, my mom and dad thought it was great fun to have a fondue night every couple of weeks. Us kids loved it too, I still can hear the cubed meat sizzling in the hot oil. Every now and then it would be cheese and bread cubes. It's making a comeback now, I thought about buying my daughter a fondue pot for Christmas a couple of years ago, but decided against it because my grands are still so very young. Maybe in a few years.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:28 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Chief, don't give up so easily. Like Cheryl, I rode my bike everywhere and felt perfectly safe.

I do remember my mother made all our meals from scratch. Because it was too difficult for her to walk the aisles of the grocery store, she never really got to see all the new prepared foods that were becoming available. So she would give me a list with the money and I would do the shopping for her.

My mother carried what she learned during the depression right up to when she was able to cook her last meal. She make meals that were quick and easy. I loved her mac and cheese, her meatloaf (I cannot make one to save my soul!), and so many other dishes. Nobody could make a New England Boiled dinner like she could. Like someone once said, "she was the only person she knew that could make a potato taste like a potato." To this day I still prefer cocoa made from the Hershey's can with a heaping spoonful of Marshmallow Fluff sitting on top. She made that for me every morning with toast before I headed out the door to school. You can keep Swiss Miss. I do not like store bought cakes or pastries of any kind except éclair's. But I prefer to buy them at a bakery. I used to buy the half white/chocolate cookies after school for a nickel. It was the first stop I made on my bike. I could leave my bike outside the bakery without locking it or worrying about it being stolen. We could put the baby outside in the carriage and go in the house leaving the window open. If you didn't hear the baby crying, someone would come along and put the bottle in the baby's mouth and then let you know the baby was awake and crying. It never occurred to any mother that someone would come along and steal your baby.

You are right Chief. It was a more trusting time. And a lot of the fond memories we now have are good memories. The world started to change when my children started to give me grandchildren. I could see it at that time, so I used to tell all my kids your main job as a parent is to keep your child safe, love that child like you never loved anything before, and give your children happy memories that they will tell their kids about. I think I did that with my kids. Now every time we have a holiday meal and the whole family is together, my kids and grandchildren sit around the table telling tales from their childhood.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I guess this post was a bad idea. Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Chief, Your post was a good idea. Seems it's been misunderstood.
Don't let it get ya down.

Your premise about the old vs. new is highly debatable on many levels but it seems at this point in time the state of many is (How shall I put it? ) Off.
And that may well prove your point.

Blame it on the sun. It's been a long winter and spring has just begun. Lack of sunshine and cold does have it's effect.

The days are getting longer now so we'll get more sunshine and hopefully we'll see more then
Old 03-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Maybe we should all come visit Zagut in Friendship Md. Better put the coffee pot/ tea pot on , we'll each bring a treat.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:02 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Maybe we should all come visit Zagut in Friendship Md. Better put the coffee pot/ tea pot on , we'll each bring a treat.
Well if you all bring a treat then I'll be sure to have plenty of fresh ground java for each and every one who attends this historic event.

I 'll be happy to exchange a cup of joe for the "treats" that the good folk here have to offer.

I'm a mile away from the Friendship beltway so come on down. Spring is my favorite time of year and if you show up what's mine is yours.

Just don't wait until the dog days of August. Then all bets are off.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:13 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Looks to me like Zagut lives in the right town, Friendship.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:16 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
That's arrogant!

You are clearly stating that your choices are better than mine, and that mine are to be pitied.
That's arrogant! Well, it takes one to recognize one.

You are clearly stating that your choices are better than mine, and that mine are to be pitied - Oh really, however do you work that one out?

Judging by the replies, I think you are the one who is out of step.
Old 03-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Looks to me like Zagut lives in the right town, Friendship.
It's all a ruse Taxlady. We all hate each other but we have to live up to the name.